Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change gears next spring and was wondering what is the best brand to use and what else I should do while I’m in there. Seals, bearings, gear lube brand etc. 2005 six speed with 22,000 miles. Also recommended lube for tranny.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Looking to change gears next spring and was wondering what is the best brand to use and what else I should do while I’m in there. Seals, bearings, gear lube brand etc. 2005 six speed with 22,000 miles. Also recommended lube for tranny.
:smile2:
I'm planning to do the same and have done some research. American Axle which seems to be the supplier for GM rear gears, does NOT offer a 456 set for the 9.5 RE of an SSR.

Dave R has 456 in his, and advised me he used Motive Gear...Mgr GM 9.5 456. I have not been looking last couple of weeks, so if you find other sources and/or brands, be sure to list them here. Some of those gears are made in China......not sure in the set needed for the R that one can find a 456 setup that is not.:|

Where ever you find the gear set, you will also find the (installation kit) listed nearby. You will need to order that along with the R&P cause the kit contains the crush sleeve, bearings, spacers, gaskets, etc. needed for the install.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Persision Gears are made in US. What about calibrating the speedo, can the dealer do that?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Just received 4.56 gears and install kit from Motive Gears for my 03 SSR. I have used Motive Gears 4.56 gears in my previous '04 and '05 SSRs. I do my own installations. Stay Tuned!!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Anybody that is looking to change to 4:56 gears, I have a set for both the six speed & the automatic. Very reasonably priced. PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
plug and play

The GM dealer could not do a 4.56 speed-o-meter change on my 6 speed.

If you have not already had yours tuned, I recommend that also.

I sent mine to PCM for Less. At the time I did mine it was the only one I could find where I could simply send in the ECM. There may be others now. I was pleased with the results. It is right on according to my Garmin. The tuned helped also. Just plug and play.

Dave

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The speedo issue can be resolved. But guys, why wait? Go ahead and get the gears swapped. It's without a doubt one of the best upgrades you can do. Once it's done you'll be wondering why you waited. PULL THE TRIGGER!!!! You won't look back.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Anybody that is looking to change to 4:56 gears, I have a set for both the six speed & the automatic. Very reasonably priced. PM me if interested.
:|
A week or so ago, when I stopped at one of my local Chevy dealers just to get a quote on the labor costs to install a 456 gear set that I would supply...........they gave me two different quotes......telling me that the (automatic trans) was "also" a six speed.......which I did not know.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I personally would not put a 4.56 in an automatic. It will be wayyyyyyyyyy lower geared than a 6 spd. The auto may handle a 4.56 but 4.10 would be far better in an automatic.

IMO only

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
IDNK what the Chevy dealer was telling you that the automatic was a six speed unless it is one reverse, one neutral and four forward. If it was 6 spd I may have one.

IMO only

Dave

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Getting a quote from a "STEALER"?? I'm not surprised in their response. Sadly most of them don't have a clue. Plus, they will likely be double in price what a quote from a reputable gear and clutch shop will be. A good gear shop can do the work in 4 hours and charge somewhere around $100 per hour. Figure it out from there.

And I agree. 456 may be over geared for an auto. Unless you're ok with your engine screaming at you going down the highway, a 411 will be better. However, for a 6 spd, go with the 456 and hang on!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts