Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a little digging about the 4L60E transmission in the '03 and '04 trucks. My take-a-way is that this tranny is pretty darn wimpy. Is this true??

Here's what I've found...

It doesn't take much of a performance increase before people start talking about tranny coolers. (OK, I can see a supercharger) Really? How much power can this tranny handle in stock configuration?

Putting in a Corvette servo raises concerns in some forums. Can that really do damage?

My hand held tuner can increase shift pressure. How much is too much?

The tuner can also turn off torque management (which, by the way, is a boat load of fun) but some forums say turning it off is the kiss of (transmission) death. Is the tranny really that weak?

I'm sure some or all of this may have merit if you're going pedal to the metal at every stop light, but for just fun, spirited driving, are these concerns valid?

I had thought that the transmission in our trucks was quite robust. But now I'm starting to wonder. Your thoughts???

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,315 Posts
There are a few things to take into account. First our trucks are heavy. About 5000 pounds rolling down the road. Second they are not the best for running cool due to the front area of the body. With what you have in your profile, being in NM (hot temps), Corvette Servo, 4:10 gears and a chip I would invest in a trans cooler. You haven't ever heard anyone say adding a transmission cooler caused their transmission to go out have you? It is just cheap insurance for the mods you have done already. Heat kills transmission fluid, once the fluid starts braking down it wears the clutches. Keeping the fluid cool, keeps the transmission happy. As for changing shift pressure, it increases temps. So using a tuner, standing on it out of the stop light and waiting on the second gear hit can build heat and can wear on the transmission. Doing so at every stop light will put a hurting on it eventually. Doing it once in a while isn't going to kill it. Also having a spirited leave from a stop light then normal driving where it is letting the fluid come back to normal operating temps help as well. The one thing I would also say is if you are adding a transmission cooler spend the money and buy a good one. They really are one of those things that you get what you paid for.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Greg is the man...He built my 2004 back in 2006. I'm pushing a 427 in my SSR and the trans is as strong today as when he built it. My original trans starting slipping when I boosted power out put of the original motor by 100 horses.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
The stock 4L60E is the 2003-2004 model trucks is basically the same as that found in any 1/2 ton GM pickup of the same era. These routinely offer a service life in excess of 150K miles in average use.
Installing a Corvette servo will improve the life of the 2-4 band as it helps decrease slippage, I cant imagine any scenario where it can cause damage unless it is improperly installed.
Adding a trans cooler is always a good idea especially on a cooler challenged vehicle like the SSR, run the lines through the radiator first then through the cooler and back to the trans. It is important to keep the fluid in good condition on any trans, a switch to synthetics really helps here, it truly is the life blood of the transmission.
Raising line pressure via a tune is OK but there are limits, more is not always better and higher pressure taxes the pump. If you are going to increase line pressure I would suggest a limit of 225psi at wide open throttle in gear on a stock trans, this can be measured with a gauge.
Torque management was designed to ease the burden on the trans and driveline under high loads such as wide open throttle upshifts. The performance difference is almost un measureable but the seat of the pants feel is there for sure. On a stock engine/trans combo I wouldn't worry too much about it but when adding Horsepower the torque management can be a trans saver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts