Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couldn’t believe what I was reading when I received the letter from General Motors confirming I would be able to purchase one of these Special Edition SSRs. The stock equipment is incredible. General Motors did this right. It’s exciting to see that their customers are going to be the winners on this one. The dealers will still do OK, but won’t be able to “market adjust” the pricing.

I received the Registered Letter a couple days ago, but was asked to refrain from saying anything until today. I got a bit nervous when Marc NY posted this note about a test mule being spotted in Bowling Green. Didn’t want anyone to think I had coughed up the information.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f4/ssr-spotted-near-bowling-green-plant-28398/

I’m thrilled to know I will be one of the first in line for one of these monsters, and will still have two more shots at a second one.

The scans of the letter and the specifications are a bit difficult to read, so I’m posting the text of the two documents below.

This is the announcement from GM

General Motors is pleased to announce the release of a Special Edition 2009 SSR in August 2008.

General Motors has kept a number of partially assembled SSRs intended for the 2007 model year in climate controlled storage since production ceased at the Lansing Craft Center March 16, 2006. A production run of 50 units will be built August 13 – 15, 2008. A two-tone combination of Cadillac White Diamond Tricoat upper and Corvette Magnetic Red lower has been selected.

This Special Edition SSR will be equipped as follows:

625 HP Supercharged LS9 engine from the 2009 ZR1 Corvette
6 speed Tremec 6060 manual transmission
4:10 rear axle ratio
14.7” front 6 piston , 14.4” rear 4 piston Brembo brakes with drilled and slotted rotors
The same system will be used on the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Polished aluminum 5 spoke wheels - 20x9” front, 22 x 11” rear
Front and rear fascia and integrated rocker panels originally slated for 2007 production
Chrome interior and exterior trim
Carpeted trunk with hard saddle bags and polished aluminum bedstrips
BF Goodrich KDW2 tires
Corsa sport exhaust system with quad square tips
Eibach springs – lowered 1” front, 1.6” rear.
Aluminum radiator with supercharger intercooler and auxiliary fan.

Each will carry a sequentially numbered Special Edition Supercharged LS9 waterfall badge. MSRP will be $74900 plus destination charges.

The Special Edition 2009 SSRs will be assembled at the Bowling Green Cadillac XLR facility during a retooling break for the 2009 model year. Each will be track tested and certified for achieved top speed, expected to be in the 165 MPH range. A signed copy of the track test results will be supplied with each vehicle.

Historically, limited production vehicles have sold to retail buyers at a significant premium. In order to keep the prices from becoming inflated at the dealer level, GM will offer them directly to current SSR owners.

Serial number 200001 will remain in General Motors’ Heritage collection. Serial numbers 200002 to 200025 will be offered in a matching serial number to the current registered owner of each Signature Series SSR. Registered letters have already gone out to the current owners of Signature Series SSRs to confirm their intent to purchase a Special Edition SSR.

The remaining 25 units and any unsold to Signature Series owners will be offered to current registered owners of Final Production Series SSRs. A registered letter will be sent to each FPR owner confirming they have an opportunity to enter a draw to purchase a Special Edition SSR, and all responding owners will have their names entered in the drawing to be audited by the accounting firm KPMG. Successful FPR owners and Signature Series owners will present their Confirmation of Production to the Chevrolet dealer of their choice and will be able to purchase the Special Edition SSR at MSRP.

This is a unique opportunity to purchase a very desirable SSR guaranteed to appreciate in value.

Following is the letter I received from GM

By Registered Mail

March 23, 2008

Mr. Ray Lamothe
Box 1619
Summerland, BC
V0H 1Z0

Dear Ray,

I am pleased to advise you that as the current registered owner of Signature Series SSR 1GCES64P61B000023 you are being given the opportunity to purchase a Special Edition 2009 SSR scheduled for delivery in August 2008.

This Special Edition SSR will carry a serial number matching your Signature Series SSR, ending with 200023 and will feature a waterfall badge with the designation 23 of 50 Special Edition Supercharged LS9. This Special Edition will be sold to you at an MSRP of $74900 plus destination charges to the Chevrolet dealer of your choice. Please see the attached information sheet regarding the specifications of the Special Edition 2009 SSR.

Please advise us immediately at the above address should you decide not to proceed with the purchase so that another SSR owner may be given that opportunity.

This information will not be made available to other than owners of Signature Series SSRs until April 1, 2008. In the event this letter arrives prior to April 1, please do not make this information public until that date.

Only 50 Special Edition SSRs will be made available to the public, so this is a unique opportunity to own an extremely rare and desirable vehicle.

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your new 2009 SSR.

Sincerely,

Loof Lirpa
Manager, Special Marketing Programs

Sorry - had to upload the specification page without the GM logo - the scan was larger than the allowed file size.:banghead

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Very cool Ray, Congrats!
That's great Ray! So are you going to ask permission on this one?? :lol:lol Which one in the current stable has to go?

I will hold out hope for a very slim chance via the FPR drawing! :cry:)
Not sure what will happen yet - I may try Doug's approach - It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.:glol

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Caught ya!!!!!

Loof Lirpa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Redirect page
Jump to: navigation, search
April Fools' Day

:):glol:glol:glol:)

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,145 Posts
Well done Flassh. :thumbs
You had me drooling and trying to figure out how to get one. :nono

Loof Lirpa :glol

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
April Fools Joke?

Please confirm this is true. If this is the case, and I own a Final Production Run vehicle I would really be interested in a chance at one of these vehicles. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Fool me once, shame on me...you...uh somebody, fool me twice and I can be president of the US.

Nice write up....Rebel got me, you didn't....lucky me :lol:lol
I'm thinking with such good jokes, mine should be kicked to the curb pretty quickly :lol

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,777 Posts
Spell April Fool backward and see what you get.:smash:smash

P/P

Peace:flag

Great story Ray...how long you and Marc been working on that one??????:banghead

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fool me once, shame on me...you...uh somebody, fool me twice and I can be president of the US.

Nice write up....Rebel got me, you didn't....lucky me :lol:lol
:lol
Yeah - but Reb cheated. He started early.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Loof Lirpa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Redirect page
Jump to: navigation, search
April Fools' Day

:):glol:glol:glol:)
You mean - this isn't really happening?:cry:cry

Crap - next thing someone will tell me there's no Santa Claus:glol

If that's the case, who sent me the damned letter?

Probably Marc - he started the whole thing with that post about a test SSR in Bowling Green.:mad

1 - 20 of 98 Posts