Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove the 05,6.0l last night.

There is a significant difference in low end accelleration. The exhaust note is also noticeably different. Steering was much nicer at the lower speeds. Wish it had the HID lights like the new vette.

I am afraid that mine will get traded when the 6 speed is available.

·
Registered
152 Posts
05 Drive....

Drove an 05 last week and was not as impressed as I had thought I might be.....

> no question the LS2 engine gives more "grunt" but have to wonder if it is worth the significant premium over what you can buy an instock 03/04 at;
> not convinced the pistons are a great solution to the weak prop rod as there seems to be issues with them "collapsing" over time;
> really did not notice all that much difference in the steering (albeit it is a bit different at very slow speeds); and
> would have been nice if the running changes they are talking for later in the year were done NOW (particularly the door panels).

Am convinced that buying a new 03/04 at a significant discount may well be the way to go unless you really just have to have the extra power....

:seeya

M

·
0 Posts
How is the '05 acceleration compared to the '04? I am thinking about getting an '05 because of the vette engine change. Do you all think it is worth the money?

·
Registered
45 Posts
6 liter

I've said this before... the problem with the SSR IMO, is the automatic not the engine. Drove the 6 liter, and saddled with the auto, at most times it did not feel significantly faster. Believe the manual trans will change all that. If you're purchasing now, might be worth it to buy a 5.3 liter on fire sale. Seen as low as $39K.

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Agree

I have to say I agree with "D" SSRGUY and SSRRedRod... yes there are going to be some mid year 05 changes.

I would say buy an 04 and get a great "deal" and then wait for a later 05 or an 06. You know there usually are some early on issues with any new changes. Unless of course you don't mind spending the extra money and must have the first of the 390 HP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts