Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my mind was made up to wait for the 6.0 liter to come out before I bought but some other posts have me second-guessing my decision. When I heard that the horsepower was going up from 300 to around 400 the idea of more power AARGH AARGH apealed to me. I also felt that the 6.0 would be more sought after in the future if I ever sell it.
Weren't the original prototypes equipped with the larger engine? If so which one was it? Has anyone had any solid confirmation as to which engine will be used in the 2005's? Will they be available right away?
My local dealer tells me I already know more than he does about the SSR. He still has no idea about when we can order one.
Another factor would be the cost of the larger engine. Any ideas??? If its going to be a $5000 option I'll start thinking about visiting the dealer a few miles up the road. He has a nice red one on the lot.
:confused

T

·
0 Posts
Dingbat be a smartbat and buy that
red SSR and enjoy it, and this comes
from someone that had a 405hp Z06.

Later,
John :)

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I agree, Take the SSR and run with it.
There are so many cost effective ways to add the HP if that is what you want but to wait several more months and miss all that summer driving weather for the 6.0 is a waste of time. Have fun live life and send us your pictures.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Buy or not to buy

Dingbat,

Don't buy a 2004. Get the 2005 with the 6.0L. I'd like to know if the rest of us are really missing something or not :cool

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
to buy or not

Dingbat,

Can anyone even tell you for sure chevy is even going make a 6.0 SSR!!!!!!!!! Buy the 5.3 and enjoy it. I have a 99 Corvette with many add on horsepower parts and the SSR with the 5.3 is just as much if not more fun to drive.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am leaning more to just getting a 2004 and enjoying it now. Got the OK from my better half so waiting might give her a chance to change her mind. Do women do that?????? :rolleyes: As for the weather being nice now, this is Florida, we can drive with the top down all year long. Just have to watch for the sudden downpours and those wonderful love bugs. Just think, the love bug will lock up with its mate and fly around that way (an interesting sight for those of you that have never seen them). Then all of a sudden SPLAT. windshield pizza. what a way to go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
power vs. speed

dingbat, most of my previous cars have been significantly faster than this SSR. Hard to describe why, but the overall ride is more enjoyable. The way they gouged the SSR in the beginning, I believe you'd really pay for the 6.0. Without a liitle suspension work, the extra horses could even prove dangerous. Get one now, you'll love it.

S

·
0 Posts
Buy the 2004...
I also have a high HP Corvette, 98 Pace Car Roadster with over 400HP. While the SSR won't turn the 1/4 mile in under 13 seconds, it does scoot. Can it use another 100 HP, YEA! What car can't? For 5 G's one of the Super Charger companies will take care of that.
Last weekend I was the back door for 25 of my Corvette buddies on a 300 mile back road tour, with many fun twisty roads I used to call Corvette Roads, now they are SSR ones. We never touched a freeway.
For those who have never been at the back of a tour, there is a term "Rubber Band" that describes the effect of going like a bat out of *#%! then hard on the brakes to keep from running into the car in front of you.
There was never a moment during the trip when I felt like I had trouble keeping up; several times we hit 110 for short stints, & the truck handles the twistys better than any '53 - '83 vette I have ever driven. All this while loaded down with ALL the clubs booze, extra suit cases, tools and several sets of golf clubs. Try that in a vette...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I have autocrossed my SSR a good bit now and can really feel when the rear is gonna slide out at a specific speed, rain or shine. This is very helpful and is really helping my street driving too! Another horsepower on this baby and I am sure I would crack her up! It is just the perfect sized engine for this vehicle in my humble opinion. I will not be getting a supercharger either. I just want to autocross once a month and have some fun.

S

·
0 Posts
How are your AC times compared to the vettes?
I only do it once or twice a year. In my 98 roadster with more power and oversized Hotchkiss anti-sway bars, I usually run 2-3 seconds behind the leading ZO6's or modified C-4's, on a minute and a half size course.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I am waaaayyyyyy behind the Vettes for sure. Not even in the same class. I am getting better, but this type of thing seems to be more about the driver than the car. The course is always different. I will let you know how I do in Pungo later in early May against the vettes at the BeacComber corvette club run. Right now, I am way down in the ranks, but I am havin a blast! Those vette folks are really nice and helpful. Last time when they were doing runs in the low 50's and mid 50's I landed in the one minute range to 1.6. Not too good but then, I am doing this for fun. It just gives me a chance to run the heck out of my truck in a controlled environment that is SAFE!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
No quarter mile runs yet, but would love to. Gonna have to look for them through our local clubs. I bet the Vette guys know. I wonder how much damage I am doing to my SSR autocrossing? I figure the suspension and tires will need more attention than normal, as well as a more frequent front end alignment. So far the alignment has stayed perfect! I am amazed at that, considering how fast I have been going in the twisties!

S

·
0 Posts
Good question, So far it has not hurt my vette, the front end of the SSR is much beefier that a vette but it also weighs in at almost 1500 lbs more.
Any ideas any one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts