Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just bought my 03 SSR. Newbie here and need help. Does anyone know / have information if a S10 5 lug front hub will bolt on to the SSR hub? Or how is the best way to get from stock 6 lug to 5 lug on the front with out using adapters?

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Hey guys,

Just bought my 03 SSR. Newbie here and need help. Does anyone know / have information if a S10 5 lug front hub will bolt on to the SSR hub? Or how is the best way to get from stock 6 lug to 5 lug on the front with out using adapters?
there's a lengthy article about that on the website here somewhere. I believe it is rather expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have been trying to find a thread about switching the front from 6 lug to 5, but my searches don't show a completed conversion project.
Trying to figure out how to get some Torque Thrust style wheels to fit. 5x4.75 or 5x5

SprintRod07--I hope you don't mind me hoping in on your thread..we are in this wonderment together

Any help from you gurus would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
I also have been trying to find a thread about switching the front from 6 lug to 5, but my searches don't show a completed conversion project.
Trying to figure out how to get some Torque Thrust style wheels to fit. 5x4.75 or 5x5

SprintRod07--I hope you don't mind me hoping in on your thread..we are in this wonderment together

Any help from you gurus would be appreciated.
Firetruck (Jarod) has torque thrust on his truck 5 lug. I believe he bought it that way don't know if he did any research on how it was converted over might want to give him a shout.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Maybe BOB he wants to!!!
That's good with Bob and that's really the best reason. Like me with my front license plate ... don't know why, just wanted to do it (redid it yesterday and got it straighter) :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: Wouldn't it be a dull SSR world if all our SSR's looked exactly alike ??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: t-dog :ssr

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
I found a couple photos of "Americano" an SSR at SEMA 2004. It was redone with 5 bolt hubs front and rear.

The owner hasn't been on here for ages, but I think he had switched to a complete 5 bolt rear axle, and a complete front end swap. I have no idea if the S10 front hubs are able to handle the additional weight of the SSR.

Most of the SSRs on display at SEMA 2004 stayed with the 6 bolt hubs. I was able to get some 5 spoke wheels built by Colorado Customs. I saw a wheel I really liked (photo 3). After much discussion, they agreed to increase the center hub size to accommodate the 6 bolt pattern, but stayed with the 5 spoke design. Wasn't cheap, but after 14 years, and the wheels on two SSRs, still happy with the wheels.

It's hard to understand why GM requires so many vehicles to be built on 6 bolt hubs. Even my daughter's all wheel drive Traverse, which pushes about 60 hp to each wheel, runs 6 bolt hubs with an oddball bolt diameter, making it impossible to find decent aftermarket wheels.

The other extreme is the new Corvette ZR1. It's got about 350 HP going to each wheel, and still uses a 5 bolt pattern.:banghead:banghead:banghead

I'll dig through some old information and see if I can find anything on what was involved in doing a conversion to 5 bolt hubs.

Attachments

Reactions: Speedwagen

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,456 Posts
Yup, mine are five lug and as mentioned above, I purchased mine this way. I have no idea the process or parts available for the change. I'm glad it was done for me because I'm sure I wouldn't have gone to the trouble myself. Jarod

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,393 Posts
I didn't read the Link above, but seems like a recent thread also had some talk about Spacers and adapters?

Nick

·
Premium Member
31,289 Posts
WHY ??? Gotta' have a reason !!!
Maybe BOB he wants to!!!
Because it's damn near impossible to buy wheels in the 6x5" bolt pattern unless you have them custom made (very expensive as Flassh already said). But it's far easier if you convert to a 5x4.75" standard GM pattern. Even going to the 6x5.5" pattern as used on the full size trucks gets you tons more options.

Firetruck... perhaps you could have a closer look at your front end to see what was done?

·
Premium Member
31,289 Posts
It's hard to understand why GM requires so many vehicles to be built on 6 bolt hubs. Even my daughter's all wheel drive Traverse, which pushes about 60 hp to each wheel, runs 6 bolt hubs with an oddball bolt diameter, making it impossible to find decent aftermarket wheels.

The other extreme is the new Corvette ZR1. It's got about 350 HP going to each wheel, and still uses a 5 bolt pattern.:banghead:banghead:banghead
I doubt it has anything to do with power level going to the wheels. I think it has more to do with vehicle mass. Load on the studs is still even across all of them going with rotation, but as you turn in, the top studs are under greater tension as the vehicle's mass wants to keep going in a straight line. When's the last time you saw a modern production car with 4-lug wheels?

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,066 Posts
Maybe it is just me but I think you can't beat the stock chrome wheels that came on it. Just sayin.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2,456 Posts
WHY ??? Gotta' have a reason !!!
Maybe BOB he wants to!!!
Because it's damn near impossible to buy wheels in the 6x5" bolt pattern unless you have them custom made (very expensive as Flassh already said). But it's far easier if you convert to a 5x4.75" standard GM pattern. Even going to the 6x5.5" pattern as used on the full size trucks gets you tons more options.

Firetruck... perhaps you could have a closer look at your front end to see what was done?
I'll take a peek in the daylight, but there are no spacers or adapters so I can assume the spindles were changed. Maybe on Sunday we'll get a good look at our mid Ohio gathering. Jarod

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Maybe it is just me but I think you can't beat the stock chrome wheels that came on it. Just sayin.
Like polishes and tires, wheels become a personal choice. When I bought the 03 Slingshot, new wheels were the first change I made. When I ordered the 06 6 speed, I ordered it with satin wheels, because I knew they were not staying on the truck.

I'm glad they at least stayed with a 5 spoke wheel similar to the concept wheels. The chromes are definitely a nicer wheel than the painted ones. My biggest beef with anything chrome plated is that if you're really anal, even the smallest scrape means you need to replace the wheel, or take it through an expensive rechroming process.

An uncoated polished aluminum wheel is much more forgiving of minor bruising. It can be sanded and polished back to a mirror finish in a fairly short time.

I also didn't like the styling of the wheel, but again, that's just an opinion. To me, if you are going with a big/little staggered fitment, with 2" wider rear wheels, you should be accenting that look, not hiding it. If they had designed the rear wheels to have the same flat spokes as the fronts, and left an exposed 2" wider lip on the rears, they would have had a very striking look. Instead, GM chose to flare the rear spokes to the wheel lip, totally obscuring the wider look they could have had.

The custom wheels I had built have a 1/2" front lip, and a 2 1/2" rear lip, achieving the look I wanted.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2,456 Posts
Thanks for checking. Where is the SSR gathering in OHIO at on Sunday?
Quaker steak and lube off of Polaris parkway on the north side of Columbus. Come join the party! 10 or 12 so far I think. There is a thread regarding this meet/greet. Jarod

1 - 19 of 19 Posts