Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a couple Q's I have, being I'm only a 2 day owner of our SSR.
1) While highway driving at 70mph without cruise if you are off the gas pedal kind of coasting down an decline, when you level out at the bottom of the hill and lightly put your foot back on the gas, IS it normal to hear a clunk like slop in the gears or back lash in the transmission? It didn't do it in 5th, only 6th.
2) There is a NICE amber light on at night from the bottom of the mirror illuminating towards the shifter. Couldn't find anything in the owners manual about it. We both like it but are curious if it always on with the headlights?
3) Does not pertain to manual trans. What brand are the rear wings, where's the "place to buy one"
4) And last this does not pertain to just manual trans. The bed cover, once you push the clicker to open it shouldn't it pop up a little bit to allow you to lift? We have to lift it with our fingernails to get it to open. Is that a "normal"?
We know the proper way to close is tailgate last.
Any knowledge you offer will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
1) While highway driving at 70mph without cruise if you are off the gas pedal kind of coasting down an decline, when you level out at the bottom of the hill and lightly put your foot back on the gas, IS it normal to hear a clunk like slop in the gears or back lash in the transmission? It didn't do it in 5th, only 6th.
2) There is a NICE amber light on at night from the bottom of the mirror illuminating towards the shifter. Couldn't find anything in the owners manual about it. We both like it but are curious if it always on with the headlights?
3) Does not pertain to manual trans. What brand are the rear wings, where's the "place to buy one"
4) And last this does not pertain to just manual trans. The bed cover, once you push the clicker to open it shouldn't it pop up a little bit to allow you to lift? We have to lift it with our fingernails to get it to open. Is that a "normal"?
#1 - It's a feature of the drive shaft. Nothing wrong per se, you will get used to it.

#2 - Yes, it is just a convenience lighting feature.

#3 - There are several brands of rear wings, none of which are factory. A lot of people use the GTO wing, but you will see others used.

#4 - The bed cover lift issue is related to the factory struts are crap. Get Mike's replacement struts for bed and hood at Simple Engineering.

David :blur:

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Welcome Calook1967. I have the six speed as well along with the clunk in 6th gear. I believe it to be the driveshaft but have not researched it. The rear spoilers are available from several suppliers and MPD has a selection here on the Forum. There is also a current posting on the Forum listing owners and some of their spoilers. The cargo lid struts are probably tired and should be replaced. Check with Mike Moro who has Simple Engineering for the upgraded struts. I really can’t address the light but I think it is switchable. Congrats on the ride and enjoy this fabulous Forum

OLDxR
Dane

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,361 Posts
There is a current thread by "Double Trouble" about the "Rear Deck support struts". Read it--Especially if your wife is short and going to use it!!! Better yet meet up with some one who has changed theirs, to compare the Strong ones verse New, similar to OEM original ones.

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Welcome to the SSR world! Hope you enjoy your new ride.

Concerning the bed cover gas struts... mine did the same thing, but new struts from Simple Engineering makes it pop up as you would expect.

That said... you should also consider changing the "roof assist" gas struts located in the roof compartment.
These help the hydraulic system lift the roof by adding 260 lbs. (I believe) of push. This is important for extending the life of the hydraulic system.
:ssr
Brian

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
The light from the Rear View Mirror can also be changed from Amber too Bright Check the Owners Manual..there are options for the lights\

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,434 Posts
I have the spoiler listed in post #5. It's fit and finish is fantastic. Color match is perfect. Hardware included wasn't long enough for the SSR rear deck but easy problem to overcome with new stainless hardware. Others have done the same spoiler attached with double sided tape, but I feel better knowing it's bolted on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
I guess my question to you would be, do you hear a clunk or feel a clunk? If it's a sound, it's most likely resonance from the aluminum driveshaft. If you're feeling the clunk it could a few different things. Our Rs have a dual mass flywheel with two individual surfaces and a coil spring buffer between them. Mine started getting sloppy and "clunky" around 50k miles and I replaced it with a twin disc LS9 unit. It could also be some lash developing in the trans, a bad universal joint, or excessive back lash in the ring and pinion.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have an '04 auto but I do have experience with questions 3 and 4. Here's my comments...

I purchased one of the spoilers from ebay. The pre-painted $90 something ones. My thoughts are that it is a nice unit and the color match is very good. Not perfect but remember, the truck paint has 14 years of age on it. Mounting can be done with high quality, professional grade double sided tape. No drilling into the bed cover is required. Also, ebay has sales occasionally. I bought mine for 70 some dollars.

The replacement bed cover struts help and will pop the cover up all the way. However, when you add the weight of the spoiler the rear, you will find the cover only pops up about an inch.

just my $.02

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
"The replacement bed cover struts help and will pop the cover up all the way. However, when you add the weight of the spoiler the rear, you will find the cover only pops up about an inch."

The SE replacement struts are the way to go, but even without the weight of a spoiler, if it's colder than around 35 degrees or so..........it will do the same. Pop up about an inch.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
You could always use the Wing as an extra Handle to lift and close the lid.... oh, change the struts BTW....

·
MY05SSR
581 Posts
You could always use the Wing as an extra Handle to lift and close the lid.... oh, change the struts BTW....
My Blur is a six speed and it makes the klunk noise and I was told it's a driveshaft issue in 6th gear. The amber light under mirror can be switched to white also (a feature)
My back hatch pops up just enough to lift with fingers, if yours is less you need to get replacement struts from Mike at Simple Engineering (Dicktator is very helpful with all of the problems, he helped me a lot)
Glad you got your R and you will really enjoy it and this family that comes with it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts