Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie looking for some input. I am a new owner of 2005 with a 6 speed. When shifting from 1 to 2nd having a hard time getting a smooth shift. I will admit I am not use to 400 hp, and like getting in the gas when leaving the red light. been reading a lot about the gear change to 4:56 gears, would this help?

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Can you describe in detail what you mean by a smooth shift? Hard to move the shifter from first to second? Or hard to keep the passenger in their seat when you let off the gas for the next gear? Something else?

4.56 gears would not be the answer for that.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
hard to keep the passenger in their seat when let off the gas for the next gear!

That's just technique. If you're driving it hard (I know no one ever does that...) that's just the price a passenger will pay. Otherwise try to lift the throttle a bit before you shift and/or shift at a lower rpm.
The issue is you are going from acceleration to deceleration to acceleration. Need to be easy with the feet to smooth out the transitions. Since first to second is the lowest gear shift, the effect will be more pronounced since the acceleration is higher. 4.56 gears would definitely magnify this.

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
hard to keep the passenger in their seat when let off the gas for the next gear!
Are you possibly getting off the gas pedal slightly before you complete a shift?

Try changing your timing slightly. My wife, who enjoys critiquing my driving skills, has never indicated an issue with how the truck feels on acceleration - except she thinks it's too loud.:wink2:

Mine is running 4:10 gears and a TVS2300 supercharger, so is fairly solid on acceleration.

I think you would really enjoy a new set of gears. The 4:56 are bad a$$, the 4:10s a better choice if you are planning to supercharge. Either set will really wake up the truck.

By the way - did you accidentally misspell shift in the title? The automatic spell check is a bit prudish.:glol

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
I have a 6 speed, and even with a dual disc clutch, the passenger can suffer whiplash. Try to keep the accelerator on a little, and do a nice crisp shift into second. Do not hesitate during the shift, and don't "dump the clutch". Remember, this is powerful vehicle and under "normal" driving, smooth is good for the driver and passenger. .02:jester

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thanks for all in input. Sounds like I may be dumping the clutch.
You could very well be doing that. Try and shift by 2K RPM. There is enough torque to keep you moving along even at this low of engine speed. I have 2006 GTO 6 speed with app 530 HP at the flywheel and can shift it and you will never feel it. Just a smooth drop of the nose, followed by a rise, no jerking at all. It take practice to make smooth shifts.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
shifting

I agree with all above. It is purely technique. You need to do what I call "RPM matching" when shifting. Most people tell me they do not feel my shifts. Just 45 years of experience, I guess. u

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Take a Viper for a spin sometime, tons of torque has a tendency to act up changing gears! I think you'll find the R is acting like it should.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought mine, and because I had not driven a stick in many years, experienced the same problem. After a few practice sessions, I think I've got it. Suggest you practice, by your self, on a level road away from other cars. Soon it will become second nature. At least it did with me.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Had a 4 speed 456 gears in my 74 Roadrunner once you got use to it and didn't baby it the shifting was easy. My sun drove it and was used to his Subaru and couldn't get used to the shirt pattern being so far apart and how hard the clutch was, told him that's where the term Muscle Car came from. Take it out on a nice quiet street and drive it like you stole it a few times doing that and you'll get used to it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just give it some time. I have multiple stick cars, and the SSR is by far bucks the most. 2-3 months and you'll get a feel for it. She definitely doesn't like having the accelerator completely let off, but you'll get it.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
teamsmith, looks like your problem has been diagnosed and solved by your great SSRfanatic brothers. tennesseecozydog :ssr
:surprise:
The coming week will be interesting given the commentary on this post. I'm picking up a six speed in Las Vegas this weekend and then will be making a 2300 mile plus trip back to No. Carolina.

My wife will be acting as my co-pilot. Neither of us have driven a standard shift in years, but as I had several of them, I'm not really concerned.

My wife had no problems several yrs ago with my little 4 speed Toyota 4WD pickup, but now I'm wondering about how "stiff" the clutch operation may be and how she may give me a case of whip lash on the return trip.:frown2:

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
The coming week will be interesting given the commentary on this post. I'm picking up a six speed in Las Vegas this weekend and then will be making a 2300 mile plus trip back to No. Carolina.

My wife will be acting as my co-pilot. Neither of us have driven a standard shift in years, but as I had several of them, I'm not really concerned.

My wife had no problems several yrs ago with my little 4 speed Toyota 4WD pickup, but now I'm wondering about how "stiff" the clutch operation may be and how she may give me a case of whip lash on the return trip.:frown2:
did 2100 miles from new mexico to miami, dont worry you will have it figured out soon enought:smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts

Congrats on your purchase.
I'm not sure of your route back to NC.
Please post. I'm sure there are some fanatics that might want to meet with you for a meal on your travels.
I'm in the Columbus Ohio area.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
clutch

The new hydraulic actuated clutches today are so easy to drive. You will not have an issue at all. Compared to the old linkage clutches from the 50's, 60'sw, and 70's, you will not regret the new drive line in your SSR. Very easy on the knees.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Congrats on your purchase.
I'm not sure of your route back to NC.
Please post. I'm sure there are some fanatics that might want to meet with you for a meal on your travels.
I'm in the Columbus Ohio area.
Thanks for all the feedback. You obviously know that our travel back from Vegas to N.C. would come no where remotely close to Ohio.:wink2: We'll be starting back on Monday and plans will focus mainly on I-40 for the return. Need to get back fairly quickly due to company coming in ahead of Turkey Day. May dip further south if need be due to weather conditions.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. You obviously know that our travel back from Vegas to N.C. would come no where remotely close to Ohio.:wink2: We'll be starting back on Monday and plans will focus mainly on I-40 for the return. Need to get back fairly quickly due to company coming in ahead of Turkey Day. May dip further south if need be due to weather conditions.:surprise:
If you can work it in, the Tail of the Dragon is a must do trip. I did not know about it when I flew in to Greensboro to pick up my 03 in May 2004. I went from Greensboro to Knoxville to spend a day at the boat manufacturing plant that I was a rep for. I was one mountain pass north of the Tail, which took me through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Great trip, but I think the Tail would have been more exciting.

With a 6 speed, that would be the highlight of your trip back home. The Fanatics have a run there every spring - Maggie Valley

Reactions: mikebike
1 - 20 of 27 Posts