Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!!! :)

I'm continuing my posts regarding potential issues with my new 6 speed.

I have the dreaded shifter shaft/boot noise, but it is VERY loud on my truck. Its definitely as loud as the engine. When I grab the boot, I can change the TONE of the noise, but I can't eliminate it. I CAN grab the shifter shaft very forcefully and stop most of the noise. The noise, when driving around parking lots at low speeds, is uncommonly loud. Like I said, it is as loud as the engine. It sounds like differential noise or a bad throw-out bearing. The noise goes away when you push the clutch in; you can hear the noise "die down" and fade away.

I'm pretty sure the noise I'm having is the same as others with the 6 speed, attributed to the "boot" and fixing it by soaking the boot in conditioner.

But, isn't there any way to actually stop the resonance on the shifter shaft itself??? Something like wrapping the shaft in a resonance-damping rubber? Has anyone tried this? What about wrapping the shaft with a LOT of black electrical tape?

Please, if you know a REAL fix that WORKS to get rid of this dreadful annoying aggravating noise (especially when combined with my A/C noise I addressed in another post) please let me know.

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
15,490 Posts
Haven't noticed a substantial amount of noise from the shifter - a lot less than other manual transmissions I've owned.:blue:

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,203 Posts
I Have The Fix For All Problems

ggoat!!! said:
Greetings!!! :)

I'm continuing my posts regarding potential issues with my new 6 speed.

I have the dreaded shifter shaft/boot noise, but it is VERY loud on my truck. Its definitely as loud as the engine. When I grab the boot, I can change the TONE of the noise, but I can't eliminate it. I CAN grab the shifter shaft very forcefully and stop most of the noise. The noise, when driving around parking lots at low speeds, is uncommonly loud. Like I said, it is as loud as the engine. It sounds like differential noise or a bad throw-out bearing. The noise goes away when you push the clutch in; you can hear the noise "die down" and fade away.

I'm pretty sure the noise I'm having is the same as others with the 6 speed, attributed to the "boot" and fixing it by soaking the boot in conditioner.

But, isn't there any way to actually stop the resonance on the shifter shaft itself??? Something like wrapping the shaft in a resonance-damping rubber? Has anyone tried this? What about wrapping the shaft with a LOT of black electrical tape?

Please, if you know a REAL fix that WORKS to get rid of this dreadful annoying aggravating noise (especially when combined with my A/C noise I addressed in another post) please let me know.

Thanks!

Jeff
THE FIX IS.... A FOR SALE SIGN:eek

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too bad the reality is that TOO many people's vehicles here have had to be buy-backs...so the "for sale sign" joke might be a little too close to reality regarding GM actually "fixing" these trucks. :(

Glad I don't have any of the major issues YET...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Ray...about how long did it take yours to go away? I have 2600 miles on mine, and if anything its louder now.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Aqua Blur SSR Pit Crew
337 Posts
I might be wrong But I don't think there have been that many buy backs!! Sure there have been some but alot, I personally don't think so!! Out of 24,000+ built there has probably been a hand full here on this forum. Maybe those that have had thier SSR bought back should start a thread and I betcha most got another one!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The purpose of this thread is not to discuss buy backs and crap about selling the truck. I just want to fix the boot noise. Who cares how many buy backs vs. re-purchases there were???

Now, back to the shifter noise problem...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I popped the boot off of mine and shoved it down into the shifter hole, and while the character of the noise has changed, the noise is still there pretty loud. Has anyone tried wrapping the shifter shaft with anything to keep it from resonating?

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,203 Posts
Heres An Other Fix

ggoat STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER .........:lol :lol :cool :bs

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could someone please tell me what is wrong with actually trying to fix things on these vehicles BEFORE going to the dealer???

Is there some sort of "pact" that you're supposed to accept these trucks the way they were made, problems and all, and not try to fix them?

Are you two guys joined at the hip? Seems like you always respond in pairs to any post I make asking for help with a problem on my truck.

Purpose of a forum is to address issues, round up those answers from those who have a fix, and hopefully help eliminate the problem for the next guy searching the forum who has an issue with his truck. What the hell is wrong with that????

·
2005 SSR LOW MILES
2,203 Posts
Learn How To Use "search"

TIRED OF THE SAME :bs WE WENT OVER MONTHS AGO :willy: :banghead :banghead DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT THE SSR :lol

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,994 Posts
ggoat!!! said:
Could someone please tell me what is wrong with actually trying to fix things on these vehicles BEFORE going to the dealer???

If someone knows - usually.

Is there some sort of "pact" that you're supposed to accept these trucks the way they were made, problems and all, and not try to fix them?

None that I am aware of.

Are you two guys joined at the hip? Seems like you always respond in pairs to any post I make asking for help with a problem on my truck.

No comment:lol

Purpose of a forum is to address issues, round up those answers from those who have a fix, and hopefully help eliminate the problem for the next guy searching the forum who has an issue with his truck. What the hell is wrong with that????

Nothing
Have you tried the search function??

I can't help since I've never had that issue with the boot.

:silver:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once again, you two guys answer in pairs...

Hmmm.....

I only post things when I've exhausted the "search" feature and haven't found an answer. DUH.

Anyhow...last I checked this wasn't a forum where you can only "praise" the SSR. If you were competent, you would have realized I posted my truck's comments in separate posts: first the good, then the bad. The good outweighs the bad. Someone obviously taking the time to critique my posts should honestly be thorough enough and read ALL of them before going on a tirade against me in a majority of my posts.

Ah, competency and thoroughness, attention to detail...I can see why there's a problem here.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks hdflstf...I appreciate a normal honest competent response to my posts once in a while.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I tried stuffing some foam rubber under the boot. I did help a little but not completely. Softening up the leather by soaking it in leathersoftener helps a little also. I think the final answer will be to get some rubber of the correct density between the shifter handle and its mounting point, but that will also make the shifter feel a bit less solid. I have had numerous cars that came from the factory with fairly quiet shifters, but when I "upgraded" them to higher performance more positive feeling shifters, they usuall hade\ either no rubber insulation or firmer mounting insulation and it invariably resulted in a more positive feeling but noiser situation. I think that the shifter feels pretty darn good in the SSR. I shortened the throw considerably by cutting a few inches off and it is even better. The noise does bother me a bit sometimes, but not enough yet to get serious about fixing it. It kinda harmonizes with the exhaust roar and the supercharger whine at about 6000 rpms:reddevil .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts