Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back, I had my Tremec transmission rebuilt. The vibration is gone, and it shifts great, but it has had a slight leak at the output shaft seal since the rebuild. I was hoping the leak would stop with a little break-in time, but it got to the point where I was seeing a little blow-back spatter on my tailgate. I purchased a new seal and decided to change it out in the couple of spare hours I had on Saturday while Pam (wife) was picking up the visiting granddaughter from the train station. Of course, the 1-hour seal job turned into a 3-hour fiasco!

So, I got the truck up on stands, R&R’ed the seal and wiped down the underside of the SSR. While it was up in the air, I decided to run it in gear to see if the leak was fixed (Disclaimer: Kids, don’t try this at home).

I already had the truck up on 4 jack stands, but the rear wheels were still slightly touching the concrete. So, rather than jacking the rear up higher and resetting the stands, I put another jack under the bell housing and raised the rear axle so the wheels weren’t touching. I knew the jack I used (my other two were still under the front end) bleeds off slowly, but no biggie, it was only going to be holding the wheels off the ground for a few minutes, right?

I started the truck, let it idle, shifted it into 4th gear, and got out of the truck. I couldn’t see the rear seal from the drivers side because of the gas tank, so I closed the drivers door and went to the passenger side, laid down, and watched the rear seal for a few minutes. All the while, the truck is idling, the rear wheels are spinning, the jack is bleeding off a little. I give the jack a couple of pumps, and watched the seal some more...wallah!, no more leak!!! I got up, went around to the driver’s side, pulled the door handle, and then realized the auto-door-lock feature has locked me out....fudge!!!

The windows are up, truck is running, wheels are spinning, jack is bleeding...what do I do now? I’ll pull the fuel pump fuse and let it starve, except I can’t get to the hood release lever...truck’s locked!

I’ll see if I can manipulate the hood latch from outside...gotta pump the jack first...no-go on the hood latch!

Maybe I can slim-Jim the lock...try, try, try, no-go...pump jack! Maybe I can catch the lock knob with a wire...try, try, try...hell no...pump jack!

Pam’s gone, but maybe her set of SSR keys are in the house. Several pumps on the jack, run to the house (75 yards uphill) look in all the usual places, no keys! Run to the shop...pump the jack. Call Pam...salvation!...she actually answered her phone!...at Chinese food lunch with daughter and visiting granddaughter...digs through purse...many explicatives from both ends of phone later, no keys...must be in the house...”did you check?” “yes, but will check again”...pump, pump, pump...run to house. Rummage, rummage, rummage...no keys...run to shop...pump, pump, pump...call Pam back, “no keys.” “I spilled my purse in sister’s truck yesterday, maybe in there.” “Did you lock her truck?” “Yes.” Pump, pump, pump...run to house for keys (I know where these keys are, ‘cause I just saw them while rummaging for SSR keys).
Grap keys, run to shop...pump, pump...run to truck...look, look, look...no keys! Run to shop...pump, pump...call Pam, “no keys in truck!” “We’re finishing up, will come home to search.”
Pump, pump...try some more to get wire through window. A few pump, pumps, lots of swearing, and 45 mins later, Pam walks into the shop with SSR keys. “Where were they?” “Sisters truck under the seat fold-down thing-ee.” “Didn’t look under there cause it was folded down and there was no way your purse could have been under there.” “I folded it down when I got out.” “Why?...never mind!”
Unlock truck, fiasco completed, disaster averted...un-pump jack!

I haven’t driven the truck for a final seal check yet...still in recovery! ?

Note to self: put the window(s) or top down before starting work next time...

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,033 Posts
A few months back, I had my Tremec transmission rebuilt. The vibration is gone, and it shifts great, but it has had a slight leak at the output shaft seal since the rebuild. I was hoping the leak would stop with a little break-in time, but it got to the point where I was seeing a little blow-back spatter on my tailgate. I purchased a new seal and decided to change it out in the couple of spare hours I had on Saturday while Pam (wife) was picking up the visiting granddaughter from the train station. Of course, the 1-hour seal job turned into a 3-hour fiasco!

So, I got the truck up on stands, R&R’ed the seal and wiped down the underside of the SSR. While it was up in the air, I decided to run it in gear to see if the leak was fixed (Disclaimer: Kids, don’t try this at home).

I already had the truck up on 4 jack stands, but the rear wheels were still slightly touching the concrete. So, rather than jacking the rear up higher and resetting the stands, I put another jack under the bell housing and raised the rear axle so the wheels weren’t touching. I knew the jack I used (my other two were still under the front end) bleeds off slowly, but no biggie, it was only going to be holding the wheels off the ground for a few minutes, right?

I started the truck, let it idle, shifted it into 4th gear, and got out of the truck. I couldn’t see the rear seal from the drivers side because of the gas tank, so I closed the drivers door and went to the passenger side, laid down, and watched the rear seal for a few minutes. All the while, the truck is idling, the rear wheels are spinning, the jack is bleeding off a little. I give the jack a couple of pumps, and watched the seal some more...wallah!, no more leak!!! I got up, went around to the driver’s side, pulled the door handle, and then realized the auto-door-lock feature has locked me out....fudge!!!

The windows are up, truck is running, wheels are spinning, jack is bleeding...what do I do now? I’ll pull the fuel pump fuse and let it starve, except I can’t get to the hood release lever...truck’s locked!

I’ll see if I can manipulate the hood latch from outside...gotta pump the jack first...no-go on the hood latch!

Maybe I can slim-Jim the lock...try, try, try, no-go...pump jack! Maybe I can catch the lock knob with a wire...try, try, try...hell no...pump jack!

Pam’s gone, but maybe her set of SSR keys are in the house. Several pumps on the jack, run to the house (75 yards uphill) look in all the usual places, no keys! Run to the shop...pump the jack. Call Pam...salvation!...she actually answered her phone!...at Chinese food lunch with daughter and visiting granddaughter...digs through purse...many explicatives from both ends of phone later, no keys...must be in the house...”did you check?” “yes, but will check again”...pump, pump, pump...run to house. Rummage, rummage, rummage...no keys...run to shop...pump, pump, pump...call Pam back, “no keys.” “I spilled my purse in sister’s truck yesterday, maybe in there.” “Did you lock her truck?” “Yes.” Pump, pump, pump...run to house for keys (I know where these keys are, ‘cause I just saw them while rummaging for SSR keys).
Grap keys, run to shop...pump, pump...run to truck...look, look, look...no keys! Run to shop...pump, pump...call Pam, “no keys in truck!” “We’re finishing up, will come home to search.”
Pump, pump...try some more to get wire through window. A few pump, pumps, lots of swearing, and 45 mins later, Pam walks into the shop with SSR keys. “Where were they?” “Sisters truck under the seat fold-down thing-ee.” “Didn’t look under there cause it was folded down and there was no way your purse could have been under there.” “I folded it down when I got out.” “Why?...never mind!”

Happy y
Should say "Note to everyone" because you can always put one or the other up if necessary.

Happy to hear there was no disaster. I was tempted to scan ahead but the Adrenalin was pumping. great story!

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
GREAT story telling there! I'm so glad nothing happen to that beautiful truck... or you.

And I'm sooooo glad to hear I'm not the only one that has moments like this. Just the other day, my wife asked me why I ALWAYS put the window down when I'm working on a vehicle. It's cuz I have moments like this in my history!!!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I too like Bluestreak was half tempted to jump to the end to see if it worked out. So all is good, but what are you going to do about the real problem? Go buy a new jack and toss the old one? Repair the jack so it doesn't leak? Buy taller jack stands so you have to have the truck up higher? Buy a lift so you don't have to rely on that bad jack anymore? I vote for the last option.
I will admit that I have the same jack issue and it is in the shed and in the harder to get to location so I don't use it anymore. I am going to fix it some day. Yeah right.
Glad it worked out and you can breath easier now.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,184 Posts
Hate to be a wise guy but....Life always gives us a lesson. Did we learn anything? Just kidding. Glad it all turned out okay.

·
HobbyBob
639 Posts
It reads like a screen play, and offers two different conclusions. I can see a Tom Hanks type actor doing the lead role with all the worried looks and panicky phone calls. You could add being locked out of the house for extra excitement. A working title could be "The Seal". Glad that it had a happily ever after ending!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
We could take last paragraph off of what did happen and make it a contest. Now you finish the story. I bet there would be some funny endings to what this group could come up with.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
If it helps, there is always a plus to any situation. Plus # 1. You won't have to go the gym this week.
Plus #2. You won't have to go to the Doctor to get a Stress Test.

Hope this helps.
Jack

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,057 Posts
OMG Dennis! Like everyone else I was on the edge of my seat reading as well and fearing the worst that the truck launched off those jack's and out the door! Good thing you must be in good shape cause not many of us could handle 75 yard sprints up and down that hill without having a coronary! SO GLAD it all worked out!

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts

What a nightmare! Only thing you might have done is pull the cover on the battery and disconnect the negative cable and kill everything. Wouldn't get you in, but would have relieved the stress!

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What a nightmare! Only thing you might have done is pull the cover on the battery and disconnect the negative cable and kill everything. Wouldn't get you in, but would have relieved the stress!
If the keys hadn’t shown up, that was my next move. It had a full tank of gas, so I wasn’t going to pump the jack all night...those days are long gone. ??

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It reads like a screen play, and offers two different conclusions. I can see a Tom Hanks type actor doing the lead role with all the worried looks and panicky phone calls. You could add being locked out of the house for extra excitement. A working title could be "The Seal". Glad that it had a happily ever after ending!
Bob,
Years of creative report writing. ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts