Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #21
OMG Dennis! Like everyone else I was on the edge of my seat reading as well and fearing the worst that the truck launched off those jack's and out the door! Good thing you must be in good shape cause not many of us could handle 75 yard sprints up and down that hill without having a coronary! SO GLAD it all worked out!
Huaw,
I was in recovery for a while! 馃サ

Tech Support/Research
Glad you avoided what could have been a very poor outcome.

I will add "Dennis' Rule" to the "Cautions" Playbook: "Never leave a vehicle running in gear on jack stands without leaving the driver's window down and the door unlocked."

That will become a corollary to "Bill's Rule" that I learned from a friend years ago: "Never put a running car in gear while in the garage with any car door left open."

Super Road Rocket Pilot
Hmmmm, I guess the next move is a resume to a NASCAR team as a jack man eh?

That was one scary story, I was waiting for a "hole in the wall" statement after all that..... whew

BLU SSR
Hey Pumper..er I mean Dennis, I am so glad that you and your truck survived this ordeal unscathed, but I have to admit to a few good laughs while reading! I guess that's just a side benefit of having met you and seen your SSR in person -- paints a very vivid picture in my mind!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #27
Hey Pumper..er I mean Dennis, I am so glad that you and your truck survived this ordeal unscathed, but I have to admit to a few good laughs while reading! I guess that's just a side benefit of having met you and seen your SSR in person -- paints a very vivid picture in my mind!
I don鈥檛 usually share my screw-ups, but figured my 鈥渄uh experience鈥 would provide some laughs, and a vivid learning opportunity for others, at my expense!

Premium Member
Hi Big D,
As soon as I started reading this tale of OPP-SE because I know you as I do I knew it would turn out alright. Knowing that, it gave me the time to read slowly and then picture every moment, every facial expression and you running back and forth between the house and garage, front of the truck to the pumpy-pumpy thing, This brought tears to my eyes from positively fall down laughter. I could see your face turning red as you ran up and down the hill and always to the pumpy-pumpy thing. up. up and up. This was a great story told by someone that I admire and I am very glad that it turned out the way it did. Big laughs for us, a workout and Big D, and a very good lesson for us all to remember. Why didn't you call Little D
This brings to mind an incident that I witnessed while in the employ of a pair of twin Brothers in a Richfield station they owned. They argued with each other about everything until this day when they had a customer's Porsche in the lube bay with the rear end up on a floor jack, engine running in second gear at about 3000 rpm. One of them was fiddling with the carburetor during the argument about how to fix the Porsche they knew nothing about but they wanted to please the owner as he had lots of cars, when at the heat of the yelling the one standing next to the Porsche's open door slammed it shut so hard it rocked it off of the jack, hit the clean polished concrete floor, spun the tires and shot out of the lube bay like it was on fire. Surprised the hell out of the brother sitting on a stool screwdriver in hand with his head in the engine bay. this happened so fast that he just sat there and watched in disbelief. It sped past the Island just missing the 3 pumps raced across the divided road called Chandler Blvd. jumped the curb in the center of the road then Bibby-Bopped over the train tracks, which didn't seem to slow it down one bit, lots of tearing metal, crossed the other side of the street hopped the curb on the other side and drove through a family's fence and struck a tree. By the time I got there the neighbor had walked out of his back door and turned the key to off. Needless to say, the car was a total loss as the tracks had done more than minor damage to what was a very nice car. They lost their lease with Richfield and I went to work for the new owner a month later. We laughed about it for quite a while. That taught me a valuable lesson at the age of 16 that I never forgot, never on a floor jack alone and always with jack stands. A lift is the way to go.
Dennis

Premium Member
Great story, from my perspective, BUT I am sure not from yours.
Good thing it all worked out in the long run, and no leaks
Happy trails.
Charles

21 - 30 of 30 Posts