Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone...

*EDIT...please note this post if from a year ago.*

One problem I had with my truck was the dreaded shifter "throwout bearing" or "worn synchronizer" noise that in reality is just a poorly designed (noisewise) shifter shaft that acts as a resonator, further amplifying the normal transmission sound through the boot. A lot of people have just conditioned the leather of their boot, making it less susceptible to noise transmission, which is part of the fix. This I'm sure fixed a lot of noise problems. But, I removed my boot, and I still had way too much noise. The noise is in the shaft, and to get rid of the noise in the boot you must try to minimize the noise in the shaft. What I did was pretty basic, but it worked.

I removed the two bolts that hold the shifter shaft to the transmission shaft. I then removed the shaft completely. I wrapped the shaft with two layers of thick Tartan black electrical tape (the "rubbery" kind). I mainly did this so that if the next steps didn't work, it would be easier to return it to stock. I then used 1/2" high by 1" wide high denisity weatherstripping foam tape (from Home Depot) to spiral down the entire shaft, pulled tightly and completely covering the shaft. I then taped this tight, two more times, spiraled down, using the electrical tape. Next, I used something that I don't know the name of. Wal-Mart sells these colored styrofoam-like long flexible tubes that kids use in the pool (I don't know for what!) that have a small hole down the center. They are about 4" in diameter. I think kids use these to wave in the air to make noise or something...anyway, I cut off a piece of this styrofoam flexible tubing to the length of the shaft just under where the shifter ball mounts. I then forced it down over the shaft tightly. I temporarily put the shaft back in the car, and trimmed down any areas where the foam might contact the console (this wasn't much). I then used about 30 zip-ties to grab as tight as I could the styrofoam tubing to the shaft. The idea was to create sound absorbing layers. After this was good and tight (and very strange looking) I spiraled down it again with the 1/2" high by 1" wide high density foam weather stripping. Then, I spiraled down two more times with the black electrical tape. It ended up being about 2" thick. I was ready to bolt it in.

The shifter shaft bolts to the transmission by two bolts on its side, which uses a claw type mounting system which grabs the transmission shaft where it actually sticks up out of the transmission. The shifter shaft mounting system "grabs" this transmission shaft on each side, and two bolts are slid through it. Its pure metal/metal contact; bad for noise transmission. I used an outdoor lightswitch gasket to create two thin high density foam gaskets which I placed on the inside of the two areas on the shifter shaft mounting surface area that "grab" the transmission shaft, slid this over the transmission shaft, and tightened the bolts. This way, it creates a damping system so there is no more direct metal to metal contact. It was a tight fit, but not hard to do. Its easier to see it and do it than to explain it.

My next defense was to fill the console area with Poly-fil, non-flammable polyester fill used to make pillows and such. You can get it at hobby shops, Wal-Mart, Jo-Ann's fabrics, etc. I filled it pretty thickly in the console, just to help qualm any resonance and noise. I then conditioned the leather on the boot (not really needed at this point) with copious amounts of 303 Aerospace Protectant. I filled the boot medium density full of Polyfill to hold the boot semi-tight to squelch any resonance, and popped it all back into place and installed the shifter ball.

Not a HINT of noise. I can't believe it actually worked!!!! But, it DID. Wow!!!!

Now, the noise may come back in a few days (my SSR is always developing new noises). But, for the time being, this fix seems to be a "real fix", and while time consuming, it is WELL worth it to keep your truck from sounding like the transmission's about to die.

Feel free to ask me to explain anything I wasn't clear about.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just went for an early morning quiet low-speed test run around the neighborhood. Not a PEEP from the transmission. You can't even tell anymore if the clutch is in or out; even the NORMAL throw-out bearing sound seems to be muted. I'm astounded this worked THIS well since my original noise was almost LOUDER than the engine itself.

Hope this can quiet down some members' Scissors!!!!

Now, on to that annoying rattling and alternator whine/whistling in my A/C system....you'd think after 3/4 of a century, GM could make an A/C system that didn't make so much unfixable strange noise...

But did I mention the shifter noise is DEAD?? Woo Hoo!!!!!!

:)
Jeff

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
ggoat: Read your detailed fix, very good. Now for my problem. When I got my 05 6spd 'R' it had a very smooth soft quiet feel when shifting. After making my first long trip last year I notice the following. The smooth soft shift is gone to a more liquid sloppy shift and trans. noise. I feel the viscosity of the original trans. oil has changed. Feels like I now have very high viscosity oil and not much dampening. I want my dealer to change the oil in my trans. and put in new production oil and see if I regain the soft, smooth feeling. What do you think???

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
ggoat.... I just turned 500 miles on mine and I haven't heard the noise your referring too. Or if I have I haven't thought anything of it. To me the the tranny has the feel (long throw and 8 ball size shifter knob )and the noise of a true retro manaul shift truck....the exact reason why I bought it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Boosted...glad to see that the shifter noise isn't one of your problems on your truck! :) If you DO get it (its very common) this was a pretty easy fix. If you don't notice it now, you probably don't have it. I noticed mine about an hour after driving it off the lot. I too like the feeling of my transmission and shifter.

Scheide...sorry to hear of your problem. I don't think your factory fluid is worn out; there isn't a "special" fluid for these transmissions per se from the factory. I have learned by experience that a full synthetic helps to tame a "harsh" shifting feel. I think it would be worth it to change to synthetic either yourself or pay a shop to do it. It is also possible (highly possible given GM's quality control) that your transmission is either low on fluid or over-full of fluid. Both conditions will exhibit what you describe.

But, have you completely isolated the shaft/boot problem from the equation? Mine, too, felt nice and solid, fluid, and precise when I first drove it. Later that same night is when I felt what I thought was "metal on metal" grinding through the shifter with its associated noise. I thought for SURE something bad was wrong. As a matter of fact, I would have bet the throw-out bearing was GONE. But, it was ALL the shifter. The runs I've made today in the truck, with the way the shifter now feels, are SO different than before its like a new transmission. It really made that silky smooth feel return again (another factor is the fact that the shifter doesn't have the harsh vibration running through it up through your hand, so you get the "illusion" that its running smoother).

One other thing you can check...the two 13mm bolts that hold the shifter shaft to the transmission shaft were LOOSE on my car; I could move the shifter about 1/8" left and right, creating a loose/sloppy feel. Remember, my truck is new. If your bolts are loose, you will get the exact feeling that you are describing. All of this stuff is very easy to check and fix.

Good luck!

Sincerely,
Jeff

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,994 Posts
Trans is filled with ATF..

Kids pool toy is called a noodle - at least that's what I've heard it called.

18k miles and no trans noise. Even after the autocross weekend. Tires are another story..

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Art!!! I never had any idea what those things were called! Now, they're called "GM Shifter Shaft Fixer Uppers"!!!

Glad to hear your truck doesn't have the shifter noise problem...maybe there was some sort of change made down the line in the noise dampening system, mounting system...who knows? But, hopefully someone will be able to use this fix if they have the noise as bad as I did. I'm pretty proud I fixed it...for no other reason that it drove me NUTS! AARRGGH! LOL...

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,994 Posts
I think you're more on target with a hit or miss theory. The low production volume means a number of quirks will pop up and some will get them and some won't. I had my moment shortly after I joined with the clutch sticking to the floor when I would use it. They eventually fixed it though. There's a thread on that one - yikes.
Between this and my other orphan I learned more patience when dealing with problems. Not that I had a choice though.:seeya

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to update this for any newer 6 speed owners with the shifter shaft vibrating high pitched ringing "tinkling" noise...I can safely say that my fix posted above has held true for the last year and no new noises or problems were ever encountered after performing this fix.

Hope this helps someone!
Jeff

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Now, on to that annoying rattling and alternator whine/whistling in my A/C system....you'd think after 3/4 of a century, GM could make an A/C system that didn't make so much unfixable strange noise...

Jeff, glad to hear of your successes. When I was still with GM (pre 1992) the Truck & Bus division Engineering/Design and the Car Engineering/Design were separate entities and "ner the twin shal meet"! No talking or sharing, highly competitive, mine's BETTER than yours mentality. Also the Mid-Lux Division had given the design and manufacturing responsablity for A/C systems to Mitsubishi of Japan Don't know about the Truck Guys (no more Buses).
grimmye:yellow:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I have that A/C electrical whine too...as well as a terrible sounding A/C noise flutter when you're cruising at slow speeds with the fan on low. It really bothered me at first, but then I came to my senses and realized, "Ah, GM" and I really haven't thought about it since...

Here's what I posted a year ago about the flutter noise (separate from the whine noise), and never did find a fix or read of one on this forum:

"My A/C makes a low pitched "whirr" noise, similar (as someone else here posted) to the sound of a playing card in bicycle spokes. The noise is NOT FAN SPEED DEPENDENT; the setting of the fan does NOT change the sound. The sound is not the A/C blower fan nor is it the engine fan or Mike's fan. The noise is ONLY made when the A/C compressor switches on. Once the compressor cycles off (which seems to be more often than it is on) and the blower motor continues to run, the noise completely goes away. The noise is GONE when the compressor cycles off. The noise also increases with engine speed. The noise is not due to air volume passing through the vents as it does NOT make the noise with the A/C off and the blower on. The noise is there regardless of the setting of the recirculate button as well. The strangest thing, however, is that I can't really hear the noise outside under the hood. But, when I'm inside the car driving slow around town quietly at night, the noise is as loud as the engine and shifter shaft noise. It is amazingly annoying."

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Ac Noise

My 2004 AC blower fan made a whirring noise at low RPM when starting off at a slow speed, once MPH picks up it goes away. The local Dealership had the dah and AC unit apart because of a problem with cold air on drivers side and hot on passenger. I do not remember what was replaced but the noise went away. However it came back and still have it, cannot be bothered to leave it at the dealership again. Although very helpful and willing, seems to go there for a repair and come out half done or with another problem !

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
SSR Noises

One good thing about being some what hard of hearing, I don't notice the A/C or alternator whine. I can hear the drive shaft tink once and a while.

SilverSSR05

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bumping this necrothread for Rbromm.

By the way...this fix has fixed the shifter noise for the last 14 years. I did remove some of the layers of material as it was very thick and bumping against the console when I would put the truck in reverse. Even removing a few layers and that old shifter noise is dead silent and gone for good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry in advance if this is explained somewhere that I missed but I need instructions for how to to remove boot and access shifter on 6 speed 2005. Not obvious to me yet.............

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's very simple. Remove the allen screw on the shifter ball, remove the ball. Pop up the plastic shifter surround...it will be hard to snap off but be careful pulling straight up. Unhook the one electrical connector and slide the boot up off the shifter. BTW...once you remove that shifter surround it will never fit as tight again. That's just how those metal snaps work.

There are I think 2 bolts holding the shifter on...make sure they are tight. Most are a little loose.

You probably don't have to use as much material to silence your shifter shaft as I did. If I did it today, I would wrap the shaft with black electrical tape, then just use the aforementioned foam pool noodle over the entire shaft. Use a bunch of zip ties to secure it VERY TIGHT to the shaft, and trim the foam pool noodle anywhere it is too thick where it could contact the console when you put it in reverse. Put it back together and I bet this will fix it. I went overboard when I originally did mine because the noise was horribly loud. Over time the foam weatherstripping I used has turned to goo. It still solves the problem, but it's a mess...although I never see it since it's in the console. In the end, I think just a little damping (wrapped very tight of course) will eliminate the noise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts