Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the differential fluid last summer and upon removing the diff cover I looked long and hard at the ring gear, the carrier, the spider gears and the pin. For the life of me, with exception of being obviously larger than the 12 bolt in my 71 Blazer,:puzzled: I can't tell why they call it a limited slip posi-diff. Is there something going on in there that i can't see that makes it different from a 12 bolt open diff?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
I changed the differential fluid last summer and upon removing the diff cover I looked long and hard at the ring gear, the carrier, the spider gears and the pin. For the life of me, with exception of being obviously larger than the 12 bolt in my 71 Blazer,:puzzled: I can't tell why they call it a limited slip posi-diff. Is there something going on in there that i can't see that makes it different from a 12 bolt open diff?
The 14 bolt Eaton has two sets of clutches (one on each side) between the axle gear and the inside of the carrier.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Mike, now I understand where the black coating on the back side of the diff cover comes from. If you don't ask you don't learn.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
The 14 bolt Eaton has two sets of clutches (one on each side) between the axle gear and the inside of the carrier.

Regards,

Mike
:|
Mike,

While on this particular item, I have a related question regarding the cover itself. I'm still planning to arrange a gear swap on my next trip up to Raleigh. Not sure I want/ nor need to spend extra money for one of your custom looking covers.

I'm thinkin' no one is gonna crawl under my truck to see if my rear end cover is plain stock or powder painted and custom. But I do wonder if the "extra" capacity that those covers offer is really needed and those without that extra capacity have had faillures??

If so, I'd sure consider one before the swap out.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,487 Posts
Thanx Mike, now I understand where the black coating on the back side of the diff cover comes from. If you don't ask you don't learn.
Now with the black coating, does that mean he has to upgrade the clutches? LAZY ONE
OK---I'm lost!! What does "black coating" on the cover have to do with Posi tract or the clutches?????

Nick

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK---I'm lost!! What does "black coating" on the cover have to do with Posi tract or the clutches?????

Nick
My understanding from Mikes response about two clutch discs between the Carrier and the axle spider gear is like this. If it were a dry clutch it would be clutch dust, but because it's in a gear oil bath it becomes suspended in the oil. as the housing and the cover cool the fine particulate in the oil adheres to the the cooling metal. In the case of my diff it wasn't heavy, more like a film that was obvious when wiped with a clean rag. As my "R" has only 27,000 miles I doubt the diff oil was changed prior to my acquiring the vehicle, which is why I chose to replace it along with the trans affording me the opportunity to asses the internal condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts