Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some photos of my day at the dragstrip with MTI and their 427 smallblock Corvettes.

Reese was a little "disappointed" as both Paul's (red) and Chuck's (black) cars "only" ran in the 11.1X range yesterday. (Slower than on Paul's previous outing)

After several passes, Reese reprogrammed Chuck's, and on the next pass, although Chuck had traction trouble at launch, and the car had trouble on the 2nd to 3rd shift with the profesionally race-built automatic, he ran an 11.07 despite it.

Reese had high hopes for the next run, but on that run 3rd gear just plain disappeared and the car found the rev limiter instead!

I told Reese that his problem is that he simply builds engines that are a bit too strong for the available transmissions . . .

Jim G

Attachments

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
cool!

looks like you had a fun day :cool
whats next on the agenda for your truck? or are you giong to keep us guessing :rolleyes:
what are you going to do when your ssR starts eating trannys? :flag

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Best Kind of Racing!!!

NICE drag shots!!!

Those 'vetts would give my STOCK '85 ZL900 Eliminator a run for the $$$$....

10 and 11 quarters are a blast!!!!

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Calcustom: Silver Dollar Dragway in Reynolds, GA, with ambient temp about mid 80s. As you can see from the photo of the ET/trap speed, about 121 mph trap speed.

mikepowell: Keep guessing. Nothing huge. But temporarily stopped for a few days while Chevrolet replaces the driveshaft (again), the yoke, the transmission tailshaft seal, and hopefully the tailshaft bushing. I am temporarily driving a loaner Malibu (defintiely not a substitute for thw SSR!). If you read my "Ping me" post, you'll see that the replacement driveshaft assembly I got when I complined about the "ting" was itself defective as it turns out.

kwhopper89: Yes, I had actually gottent to drive the black one on the STREET a few days ago. That car comes closer to feeling like any of my quicker bikes than any other car I have personally driven. I got good photos because this particular drag strip allows crew members to get right up beside the start line at launch. I stayed back a bit though because when you apply approximately 400 to 500 horsepower suddenly, you never are sure what is gonig to happen, and I value my skin.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Jim when are you going to bring that Duc down so we can run at the dragstrip? I just about got my bike ready again...

Silver Dollar is my home track also!

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boosted: With the erratic way my client is behaving, I am afraid to even think about bringing one of my bikes here, because I may need to find a new job assignment that would probably be located somewhere else anywhere across the country!

Jim G

p.s.Did you get the driveline problem on your SSR corrected? If not, take a look at my "Ping me" posting, and see if any of it applies to YOUR vehicle.

jg

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve: What you said above may be very significant.

Are you saying that the "rear end" problem was solved only after tGM also replaced the driveshaft?

If so, that would confirm my suspicion that the problem has been FORWARD of the rear end all along: either driveshaft, or yoke.

Can you clarify your service history VERY carefully for us?

You may be able to prevent others from having to go through what you went through.

Jim G

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
good luck with the driveshaft Jim!

I'm waiting to see what happens with yours befor I try to get rid of my 'tinging ping' (sounds like I'm swearing). :rolleyes:
keep us all 'posted' on the repairs & mods :flag

1 - 13 of 13 Posts