Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

BAD BOW TIE

Registered
Ran across this ad on one of the classic car sites I follow. Pretty cool IMHO! Look through the pictures to find the SSR connection.
Happy Thanksgiving 馃 to all.

It's a Heinz 57 Varieties Pick-Up. Started as a 1950 Suburban, married to a 3100 chopped and customized 5 window pick-up cab, VW headlights, modified C5 (1997 through 2004) Corvette suspension, 1970 Chevelle console and tilt steering column, 1957 Chevrolet gauge cluster, Borg-Warner T5, 5 speed manual transmission, that was mainly used by Chevrolet in 1982 through 92 S-10 pick-ups & S-10 Blazers, and who knows what model and year GM truck the 292 inline 6 cylinder came from, since they were offered from 1963 through 1990.
I agree with the one member, why not a V8 after all of this customizing. I'm assuming at least there was a C5 Corvette 5.7 LS1 sitting around somewhere, that the suspension came from ?? I know the Chevy 292 was known for being a powerful, durable and reliable inline 6, but a V8 would sound better and make it more suitable for me. The 292 inline 6 was a better choice, since the stock T5 manual transmission was commonly called "The Non-World Class T-5". A stock Borg-Warner T5 could only handle a max torque rating of up to 305 foot-pounds, and that was in the final years of use.
I still like what the builder did, I just wouldn't be having any fun with doing full "blown"(no pun intended) hole shots, because a stock T5 would be grenading all over the blacktop.
There's a lot of talent and time that went into this build, and like I said, I still like it !!!!

Premium Member
It's a Heinz 57 Varieties Pick-Up. Started as a 1950 Suburban, married to a 3100 chopped and customized 5 window pick-up cab, VW headlights, modified C5 (1997 through 2004) Corvette suspension, 1970 Chevelle console and tilt steering column, 1957 Chevrolet gauge cluster, Borg-Warner T5, 5 speed manual transmission, that was mainly used by Chevrolet in 1982 through 92 S-10 pick-ups & S-10 Blazers, and who knows what model and year GM truck the 292 inline 6 cylinder came from, since they were offered from 1963 through 1990.
I agree with the one member, why not a V8 after all of this customizing. I'm assuming at least there was a C5 Corvette 5.7 LS1 sitting around somewhere, that the suspension came from ?? I know the Chevy 292 was known for being a powerful, durable and reliable inline 6, but a V8 would sound better and make it more suitable for me. The 292 inline 6 was a better choice, since the stock T5 manual transmission was commonly called "The Non-World Class T-5". A stock Borg-Warner T5 could only handle a max torque rating of up to 305 foot-pounds, and that was in the final years of use.
I still like what the builder did, I just wouldn't be having any fun with doing full "blown"(no pun intended) hole shots, because a stock T5 would be grenading all over the blacktop.
There's a lot of talent and time that went into this build, and like I said, I still like it !!!!
(y)
I would surely agree its a "Heinz 57 Varieties" deal. Some things to like and some things to not like at all. Aside from the power train choice, I'm kinda amazed at body mods that didn't happen to really set it off. They pancake the hood, but should have considered also chopping the top down further and/or "sectioning" the bed which is TOO TALL and fugly with the exposed original tail gate hinges. Headlight treatment not my cuppa tea either.
Much of the rest works for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts