Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
you can still drive, but you must use caution.

Front sway bar: If a front sway bar is broken, then you’ll experience significant differences in how the car handles (steers). It will feel “looser”, particularly when driving at high speeds. It’s very possible that this will cause you to lose control of the car, resulting in a serious accident if you’re not prepared for it.

Rear sway bar: The situation is a little less serious if your rear sway bar is broken. This will affect how the car rides, particularly when changing lanes, taking corners and in other situations where the car’s body will sway (what the bar is designed to prevent).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
37,805 Posts
It is your sway bar end link, very easy to change.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kevin, are you 4 wheeling up there in Kentucky. If you drive it "slow and easy". Good luck.
Went from Tenn. to Fl. Picked up a spare from Dave Bittman, drove all the way home this happened backing into my garage...#lucky...😀

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
Went from Tenn. to Fl. Picked up a spare from Dave Bittman, drove all the way home this happened backing into my garage...#lucky...😀
The way it looks the nut has been missing for awhile. Probably same part that is on Trailblazer.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got installed, tip nut is not as tight as I'd like. You've got to hold one side with a wrench while tightening the nut, then the wrench gets crimped before its tight...🤔

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Got installed, tip nut is not as tight as I'd like. You've got to hold one side with a wrench while tightening the nut, then the wrench gets crimped before its tight...🤔
I took an old craftsman wrench I still had and put it to my bench grinder - its thinner now and fits! Even my snap-on high $$ open ends were too wide for some applications. If its not tight enough it may cause a rattling (knocking) noise going over bumps.
Some company's do make thinner wrenches for this type of application - they have a different name - damned if I can remember what that was???? Tappet wrenches??

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
I took an old craftsman wrench I still had and put it to my bench grinder - its thinner now and fits! Even my snap-on high $$ open ends were too wide for some applications. If its not tight enough it may cause a rattling (knocking) noise going over bumps.
Some company's do make thinner wrenches for this type of application - they have a different name - damned if I can remember what that was???? Tappet wrenches??
Thin wall wrench LOL. Can you get a vise grips on end stud to hold it?

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Guys, you put a 17mm allen wrench in the end to hold it and tighten with a 21mm box end.

Jack
Yes you could do that but when i tried that with air rachet and an allen bit in air rachet it rounded out and no luck. Time is money in the flat rate world. So now i can use impact with wrench, much quicker. Might require a u joint

1 - 16 of 16 Posts