Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 FPR Black/Silver
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
have been gathering several items throughout the fall and finally had the chance to get started today. My nephew is an area manager for GM, and with his help, as well as Mike at Simple Engineering, they both were willing to help me utilize my Visa card. I have a tendency to be a "mission creep" individual, so I decided to replace just about everything in the cooling system, as well as some other things. As I mentioned, my nephew works for GM, and got me a Corvette large capacity radiator and several other bits. I picked up some items from Mike at Simple Engineering, made me a list of in what order I was going to attack everything, and got started today.

Here is what I will be replacing as well as detailing:
-- All belts
-- All hoses, including the SE heater hose upgrade
-- Overflow tank
-- Tensioners and pulleys
-- Water Pump
-- Radiator (1 1/2 inch Z06)
-- Thermostat
-- SE lower metal radiator support
-- SE stiffening plate

I have the SE fan upgrade, so I will be moving it from the OEM radiator to the Z06 radiator

There will be lots of cleaning as well to get rid of 16 years of dirt.

Here is what I accomplished today:
Motor vehicle Car Hood Vehicle Automotive design

After all goes back together, I will get the alignment done to Dicktator's specification.

Lots to do....

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,758 Posts
If you are installing a new radiator, be sure to install the seals in the top and bottom channel. They are NOT included when you buy a radiator Through “normal” channels. It is possible to transfer the ones from your old radiator to the new one…..

Oh… and if you are planing to install new hoses, be prepared that there are no upper hoses anywhere in the system. I’ve had an order in for them since last May….

My 2 cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
2006 FPR Black/Silver
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are installing a new radiator, be sure to install the seals in the top and bottom channel. They are NOT included when you buy a radiator Through “normal” channels. It is possible to transfer the ones from your old radiator to the new one…..
Oh… and if you are planing to install new hoses, be prepared that there are no upper hoses anywhere in the system. I’ve had an order in for them since last May….
My 2 cents,
Mike
Thanks Mike. One thing I have learned over the years is to have everything before you start. Many of the items I will be replacing I have been gathering for the past 6 months. My upper radiator hose was collapsing, so after I checked with the SE site and saw that the upper hose was not available, I enlisted the help of my nephew. We found ONE last fall if I remember correctly (it was a while back), and it went into my parts pile.

Thanks for the tip on the radiator seals. I could not pass up my nephew's offer on it (don't look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak).

My next step will be removing the hoses from the firewall, and removing the radiator. Anyone know the tip on separating the condenser from the radiator? I have read the board posts, but am still not sure on the steps.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,486 Posts
Thanks Mike. One thing I have learned over the years is to have everything before you start. Many of the items I will be replacing I have been gathering for the past 6 months. My upper radiator hose was collapsing, so after I checked with the SE site and saw that the upper hose was not available, I enlisted the help of my nephew. We found ONE last fall if I remember correctly (it was a while back), and it went into my parts pile.

Thanks for the tip on the radiator seals. I could not pass up my nephew's offer on it (don't look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak).

My next step will be removing the hoses from the firewall, and removing the radiator. Anyone know the tip on separating the condenser from the radiator? I have read the board posts, but am still not sure on the steps.
I’ve replaced the radiators on both our Rs. Try as I might, I could not wiggle the condenser and radiator apart on the passenger side on the first one. I worked on it for about an hour and half the clip broke off the radiator. On the second, knowing again that the radiator I was pulling was destined for scrap heap, I reached down with a screwdriver and broke the clip first thing and was done very quickly.

Regardless of breaking the clip on the radiator or not, you’ll need to want to follow Mike’s procedure on modifying the pesky slot on the condenser for installation.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
6,358 Posts
One other tip and you sound like you have good help and this maybe over stating the obvious but make sure you have the thermostat seal lined up with the notch in the right spot. It can be over looked pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,146 Posts

My 2 cents,

Mike
Mike, what about the silicone hoses that were going to be provided by @GB92270 ? At some point I thought I remembered reading that you were going to have his stuff available and if I am not mistaken radiator hoses were among the items he was tooling up to make.

·
SSR Believer
3,326 Posts
Mike, what about the silicone hoses that were going to be provided by @GB92270 ? At some point I thought I remembered reading that you were going to have his stuff available and if I am not mistaken radiator hoses were among the items he was tooling up to make.
IIRC that deal fell through. Cost was too high for anticipated demand. I believe the gentleman that was working on that (and dozens of other things) has moved on.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,144 Posts
IIRC that deal fell through. Cost was too high for anticipated demand. I believe the gentleman that was working on that (and dozens of other things) has moved on.
I mfg all the hoses for the ssr and mike bought stock
View attachment 607361
View attachment 607362
Some confusing information here. I hope your project comes out OK and we can get some straight information on hoses, because there seems to be some confusion here over the last week about what is available.

·
Premium Member
2006 FPR Black/Silver
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Was able to get back to the project this weekend. Radiator, surge tank, heater hoses removed. Started a little cleaning. I had to break both tabs on the passenger side of the radiator to separate it from the condenser. The tabs were broken in a way that we may be able to reuse the radiator for emergencies, so I will keep it.

I was speaking with Tom from the Rgang, and he mentioned something about removing the lip inside of the throttle body - that it gave increased response. Is there any information on this someone may have?

The radiator is still in in this picture, but surge tank and heater hoses removed. Working on the passenger side inner fender areas.
Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2006 FPR Black/Silver
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a little more done. Front is all finished - new larger radiator, belts, hoses, surge tank, heater hoses, thermostat, water pump, etc. I also dropped and cleaned the transmission pan. The only issue was the rear shift bracket was about 1/4 inch in the way. I simply took a pair of channel locks and bent the bracket over just enough for the pan to drop. New tranny filter installed, and pan cleaned. Below is a picture of the magnet and pan cleaned.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Grille Automotive exterior

Grey Rectangle Gas Fixture Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
6,358 Posts
The polished throttle body has been a debate for a long time. Some claim it makes a world of difference, others claim nothing noticeable. It is difficult to prove this helps because it is supposed to effect part throttle response. Dyno testing is done at wide open throttle so it wouldn't show up there. The throttle blade is the restriction in the air flow not the bump in front of it. And if you look inside the Mas Air flow sensor there is a bigger restriction there that is in the direct line of the air inlet. I myself don't buy into it, but your results may vary. Do what you think helps and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
2006 FPR Black/Silver
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was able to work yesterday and pretty much get everything back together.

I finished the front end of the motor with all the pieces and bits, all the while doing some cleaning and detailing. In addition to the items completed, I was able to also install Mike's (at SE Engineering) front stiffening plate. Excellent piece!

I topped off the fluids, new antifreeze, and put in the tranny fluid. I will recheck the levels after a drive. Here are a couple of pictures of the completed project.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Hood Vehicle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts