Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just thought I would throw my two cents in here with an experience I had on my recent trip to Florida. After a 9 1/2 hour drive, the first thing I wanted to do was wash my SSR, so I did. While drying it off, what did I see, but the big fat head of a roofing nail sticking out of my left rear tire! Well, I found a Goodyear Tire store and asked if they would plug it, and they said no! They said they didn't plug or patch tires, and that the nail was in the outer band of tread so that meant I needed a new tire! Well, with a price of 249 for the tire and 50 for mounting and balancing I said no way. They advised me that it was unsafe to plug it but that if i could find someone to throw a plug in it, good luck! So, WalMart, here I come. A simple 6 bucks bought the cleaning tool, plugging tool and plugs! So I plugged it and so far it is riding fine, even unbalanced! I now carry the tools with me in case I run into another greedy Goodyear Store! Sorry for the long winded tale!

·
Registered
131 Posts
even if you had a small leak, at least GM included a pump and a family size container of Fix-a-Flat. we keep the plug kits on all our service trucks and without a spare, your right everyone should have one that owns SSR's and C-6's.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,334 Posts
I can understand a tire dealer's reluctance to put themselves at risk for a liability issue, but over the years I have plugged literally dozens of trailer tires in all kinds of tires in all kinds of places and have yet (knock on wood!) to have one let loose.

These trailers carry heavy loads (Race cars and equipment) at extended freeway speeds. Plugs seem to "Giterdone" on these tires.

Blast

1 - 3 of 3 Posts