Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I really didnt expect it to come off - I mean come on GM - using a couple of adhesive backed velcro pads to secure it just isnt what I would call 'hi-tech' - (come to that the same pads are used on the front 'bumper bar'.

Very disappointing to watch bits of your car coming unstuck - particulalry on the freeway in traffic - at speed!! :eek

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
You must have an 03 or 04. I think they fixed that in 05? You might try one of the adhesive products some body shops are using to attach spoiler etc. The velcro is pretty cheesy. They should have at least glued them or something??

·
Registered
374 Posts
English Gent said:
Now I really didnt expect it to come off - I mean come on GM - using a couple of adhesive backed velcro pads to secure it just isnt what I would call 'hi-tech' - (come to that the same pads are used on the front 'bumper bar'.

Very disappointing to watch bits of your car coming unstuck - particulalry on the freeway in traffic - at speed!! :eek
Don't be. My '03 Marauder the pillars were attached by plastic pins that had metal slip-on clips. Whenever they were removed (which happened when I installed a gauge pod a couple of times), the pins would usually get broken off or the clips would fly off and disappear. Velcro at least you don't introduce a rattle source.

·
Premium Member
31,264 Posts
Donnysan said:
Don't be. My '03 Marauder the pillars were attached by plastic pins that had metal slip-on clips. Whenever they were removed (which happened when I installed a gauge pod a couple of times), the pins would usually get broken off or the clips would fly off and disappear. Velcro at least you don't introduce a rattle source.

Donny,

I think he's referring to the plastic panels on the outside of the a-pillar!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm not sure if there is a velco piece under it, but I did notice a plastic push in type fastener missing on the lower edge of my pass side a pillar (outside)cover. There are supposed to be 2 of them. It is an 05.

·
Registered
178 Posts
a pillar

I lost an A pillar going down I20 just outside Abilene doing about 90 and it just started flapping like crazy. Stopped and tore it the rest of the way off til I could get a replacement from factory. Only cheap plastic push pins and velcro hold it on the vehicle.:cry :banghead

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
That may be true, but underneath all that cheap plastic is some very strong reinforced steel to protect you in an accident.

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
LT's SSR said:
What is a pillar? Since I have an '03 figured I better find out....
Tha "A" pillar is the support frame that runs between the winshield and the cabin windows. What they are talking about is the body color panel that cover the frame of this support.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The velcro is industrial grade and strength. It is designed to stay attached for the life of the vehicle through speed, cra washes, etc.....

The molding must be removed to replace the windshield.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
There is suppose to be a screw that holds that piece in place at the top.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts