Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about ignition systems. I believe that higher output from coils will improve performance. I know they sell aftermarkets systems to accomplish this.

My question is will the coils from an LS2, with higher output work with the 5.3 from the 03-04 SSR. The reason I ask this is on ebay there are complete setups for sale for way below dealer cost. I don't have the link because I'm at work and am blocked.

Any help would be appreciated.

drbob

·
Registered
230 Posts
drbob said:
I have a question about ignition systems. I believe that higher output from coils will improve performance. I know they sell aftermarkets systems to accomplish this.

My question is will the coils from an LS2, with higher output work with the 5.3 from the 03-04 SSR. The reason I ask this is on ebay there are complete setups for sale for way below dealer cost. I don't have the link because I'm at work and am blocked.

Any help would be appreciated.

drbob
The best coils going are the Mitsubishi made coils on some of the 6.0L Silverado
engines, should be about 21.00 ea. from your GM dealer, these are better
than the aftermarket coils.........................these have the three diamonds symbol
on them .

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rick418cars, these are actually GM parts per the listing, not an offbrand aftermarket. I'm not sure if they are Delphi or another brand. They are 160.00 for all eight with the mounting bracket and connecting wires

drbob

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
rick418cars is correct that the ONE certain type coil of the 3 used by GM is the "best" (sorry I don't have the data here to verify the shape he quoted, but assume he has done that research. It is covered in one of two Gen III books I have). It is better than most aftermarket coils. Interestingly, it is the one used on the Vortec truck engines (including the 5.3 Liter on the 03 / 04 SSrs!).

I have read a semi-credible report in a magazine that said that replacing the WIRES from the coils to the sparkplugs with Grannatelli wires designed for the Gen III engines (that includes BOTH the 5.3 and the 6.0 liter) added several horsepower. Apaprently, those Grannetelli wires have ridiculously low resistance. They are quite costly.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So

I guess if these are the mitsubishi they might be worth it, otherwise stick with what I have. The ones listed supposedly have a higher output than what I currently have but again I don't know if these are Mitsubishi.

Wish I couls get to ebay to get a GM part number but work doesn't allow access to ebay. They do on the other hand allow access to SSR Fanatic. They know what sites are important.

drbob

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
GM uses 3 vendors for the coils on GenIII engines. I have been told that the cylindrical shaped "truck" coils are the hot ticket. (Of the three vendors 2 are shaped square/rectangular and 1 is shaped cylindrical/round). I have been told that these coils tend to dissipate heat better and consequently maintain voltage better without heat induced internal resistance. I am not aware of the manufacturer of these coils. Every SSR I have seen has these desired coils on it from the factory.

Blast

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Access to eBay

drbob said:
I guess if these are the mitsubishi they might be worth it, otherwise stick with what I have. The ones listed supposedly have a higher output than what I currently have but again I don't know if these are Mitsubishi.

Wish I couls get to ebay to get a GM part number but work doesn't allow access to ebay. They do on the other hand allow access to SSR Fanatic. They know what sites are important.

drbob

If you really, really have to get to eBay, you could try putting 66.135.192.87 into your web browser....it probably will get you there. If it does, you might have to replace www.ebay.com with those numbers everytime you visit a new page. (Note: if you know that they check the logs....you might not want to use it.)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More Info

The ebay item # 8029631557. This is GM part #12573190 ,AC DELCO # D514A.
They are supposed to be for a LS2 Vette engine, specs are on the page as THESE COILS PRODUCE 90 mJ PRODUCE 40 Kv PER COIL. I don't know enough to know if this is worth the change.

drbob

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I know we had to order a coil specific to the LS2 for the new coil relocation brackets. The new coils are a bit different then the other coils I have had on my 1999 Z28, 2002 Z06 and 2004 Silverado SS. I have never researched the different output of these coils to date. Might be a good project for someone.

I changed over to the JBA Power Cables for the Valve Covers and Coil Relocation. I was having a problem with the stock plug wires burning out. The stock wires are also too short for the relocation of the coils. I have had the JBA wires on for a week now and I honestly think the engine runs smoother with these. They are almost 14" total in length where as the stock wires are only 9 1/2" long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts