Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 21 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Bitchin Rides the other day and they were tricking out a 53 Chevy pickup. When they got done it looked a lot like an SSR with one exception. The split windshield. Pulled up a pic off the internet and added a thin blue line. What do you think?

fltsfshr

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
The Concept SSR had a somewhat more flat windshield with a crease in the
middle of the glass, no bar or divider.
In this picture you can see a line in the middle.

Dave

Concept 1.jpg

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,434 Posts
I know it is a thin line but it serves no legitimate purpose and it does serve as a distraction in the middle of the field of vision. Getting rid of that split was always a dream in the early years of driving and the advent of a single piece windshield solved the problem. I see no reason to bring it back.

EDIT: My feelings above but, as noted below it is your truck do what YOU like.

·
BAD BOW TIE
9,485 Posts
Love the look!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just thinking about creating a more nostalgic look. I'm thinking a little curve with the same arc as the top corners. You could put the flair at the bottom or the top Just an idea.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Try it with a thin black tape and a silver in the middle of that. The originals would have had black seal on each side of a stainless trim in the middle. This might blend in a little more that the body color. The thing is with tape yo can try it and if you don't like it, it will be easy to remove.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If you want to do something like what Stlhotrod suggests and want it done in vinyl, let me know. I can cut it for you to your specs.

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
On the out side of glass this would really affect wiper blade operation. Difficult to do on inside and not sure exterior would give look yoour going for.
Just some thoughts.
Make it what YOU like and enjoy.

Its what i like most about mine.
Its mine! Its not just like the other one.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
On the out side of glass this would really affect wiper blade operation. Difficult to do on inside and not sure exterior would give look yoour going for.
Just some thoughts.
Make it what YOU like and enjoy.

Its what i like most about mine.
Its mine! Its not just like the other one.
Good point I didn't think about the wipers.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Oh yeah... wipers. Duh.
Honestly the vinyl wouldn't affect the wipers much. But the wipers may very well have a negative affect on the vinyl.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a friend with a 3d printer. I think I'm going to make one up that's removable .I'm thinking chrome look on the sides and a blue center that matches the paint. Plan B would be chrome window film or vinyl. Plan C would be to put 10" blades on it like a 1953 and change the wiper sweep to accommodate a 3 dimensional part. This could turn into a Rube Goldberg.

fltsfshr

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
:confused:

This whole deal is semi crazy. We all have a ride that for sure "looks" like a retro late 40's/early 50's good 'ol Chevy pickup. At the same time, we have about a 400 H.P. motor and a choice of auto or a six speed and power steering and power disc brakes and A/C to boot.

Your (Plan C) is in the category of "retarded thinking". It reminds me of someone with an old Model A and or early 30's Ford that someone had added "juice" brakes to..........and now (to make it cool and more "retro"), someone wants to remove the hydraulic brakes and take it back to mechanical brakes.

Having owned a '39 Chevy streetrod for 40 years, it had the damn "split" windshield and I of course converted the "vacuum" wiper motor to electric. Did that work better..........of course.

But taking your ride (backwards) in terms of common sense and/or safety is highly questionable to me.:cool:

·
BAD BOW TIE
9,485 Posts
I agree with you Moscooter but It is his money and his time and like they say, Whatever blows your skirt up.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Just a thought, might want to check you state's vehicle code, unless you qualify as an "historic" vehicle in your state, you may run into
trouble with the "johned arms"...

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,919 Posts
We went away from split windsheilds years ago and for good reason. Couldn't see well or clean rain off efficiently.

More important, you are modifying a Classic Car, Collector Car.

Value goes away.

My opinion. My first car was 1938 Ford, split windshield, vacuum wipers (never worked), cable brakes, standard shift, V/8 60hp.

Dicktator

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine was a 51 Ford Deluxe convertible. It had Offenhauser heads, 3 in the tree with overdrive. split windshield and side vents. Split windshield never bothered me.
You're right about modifying cars. They're not a good investment.

fltsfshr

1 - 21 of 23 Posts