Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read of a few issues on these trucks, how many guys just turn the key and go? Or is there a lot of tinkering to do often? I like everything to work as it should, am I choosing the wrong vehicle? I’m coming from a 2000 trans am ws6 (now has 54k) zero issues in 12 years.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,049 Posts
No used vehicle is a guarantee no issues. These have a few things that if done can turn them into a very reliable driver. The cooling fan is a big one. I have bought two, one in California and one in Phoenix flew in, looked them over and took off for St Louis and never thought about worrying about the drive.

Under stand they are basically a Trail Blazer with a cooler body on them. LS series engine with an over drive transmission. Plus a drop top pick up.

Also keep in mind, here you have a large group of people who do prefer to tinker with their trucks. So most of the posts are about changing, fixing, modifying, things to meet the owners desires of what they want from their truck. If all we did was talk about getting in and turning the key it would be pretty boring. Some of us look for things to fix even when they aren't broke, if you get my drift.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,956 Posts
No used vehicle is a guarantee no issues. These have a few things that if done can turn them into a very reliable driver. The cooling fan is a big one. I have bought two, one in California and one in Phoenix flew in, looked them over and took off for St Louis and never thought about worrying about the drive.

Under stand they are basically a Trail Blazer with a cooler body on them. LS series engine with an over drive transmission. Plus a drop top pick up.

Also keep in mind, here you have a large group of people who do prefer to tinker with their trucks. So most of the posts are about changing, fixing, modifying, things to meet the owners desires of what they want from their truck. If all we did was talk about getting in and turning the key it would be pretty boring. Some of us look for things to fix even when they aren't broke, if you get my drift.
That is why the forum is called SSR Fanatic's. Not just satisfied with a mediocre daily driver but having a vehicle that is Fanatically Correct.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,956 Posts
I’ve read of a few issues on these trucks, how many guys just turn the key and go? Or is there a lot of tinkering to do often? I like everything to work as it should, am I choosing the wrong vehicle? I’m coming from a 2000 trans am ws6 (now has 54k) zero issues in 12 years.
A little trick is to look for and buy one that a fanatic has had for some time because most folks have learned all the little defects and fixed them. Just a thought. There usually is 4 or 5 on this site for sale at any given time. You can ask anyone if it is a good one or not. Just my 2 cents and we all know what that is worth.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,956 Posts
I just noticed you are from Canada. If you plan to keep your SSR and register it in Canada you might want to reach out to folks up there as to how hard it is to import one. There are many SSR Fanatics in Canada so maybe they could reach out to you and help answer your questions and may even know of where to locate one. Good luck in your hunt my friend.

·
Premium Member
2004 SSR Red
93 Posts
In our 2004, start, go, and 😊

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats exactly what I did to mine. I' a 50 year car nut, builder. Fixed all the little things so I had no worries at 70 yrs old! Now selling. It just sits. And I could use the garage for storage. Its listed here. 2005 aqua blur. Custom

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Same here Wizzer. Downsizing. Mine I tinkered with and made changes to make it go better and to me look a little sharper. Lots of shiny bling. Now it's start and go.Wish someone would buy it before I change my mind. It's in the for sale section here. I really don't want to put it on Facebook, although I do go there daily to.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
44 Posts
If you don't like working on your truck or car, then you best stay away form the the SSR, they are fun to drive, cool vehicle, but that being said some things you will have problems getting parts for, example ABS module, it will fail mine is bad right now, this is just one example there are a few more, you will need tools a scanner tool to help fix your SSR, not saying its not a fun car to own, just saying you better be willing to fix things because they have some know issues that are going to pop up!

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
If you don't like working on your truck or car, then you best stay away form the the SSR, they are fun to drive, cool vehicle, but that being said some things you will have problems getting parts for, example ABS module, it will fail mine is bad right now, this is just one example there are a few more, you will need tools a scanner tool to help fix your SSR, not saying its not a fun car to own, just saying you better be willing to fix things because they have some know issues that are going to pop up!
Well said "marvin24" My advice buy from a previous SSR owner. Hopefully previous owners fixed all the nit pickin' aggravatin' screw ups created by GM engineers. If you can't work on them yourself, find an honest mechanic that you TRUST. Remember they are USED vehicles that are nearing 20 years ... they need some TLC and a lot of them have a 100 to 200,000 miles, so be careful. Had 3 of them the last 14 year. Only major problem top quit working on the last one ... 2,500 to fix !!! Must admit I'd have another one (#4), but I'm 83 years old and at my age don't want any more GM buckets of junk to keep repairing or worrying if I'm gonna' be stuck on the side of the road. Anyway, lady friend has an 04 Slingshot "Yeller" one, so what the hell do I need with another one. Bought an HHR, 30 to 32 MPG, so I'm :D:D:D:D:D, not as much fun, but what the hell !!!

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I for, example ABS module, it will fail mine is bad right now, this is just one example there are a few more, you will need tools a scanner tool to help fix your SSR, not saying its not a fun car to own, just saying you better be willing to fix things because they have some know issues that are going to pop up
I have a late 06 (VIN 23714) Pac Blue 6 speed with 74K miles. Original owner. Still running original fan and ABS module (no heat shield installed, winter project.). Will probably R2 the fan as a preventive measure as well. My recirc actuator began clicking a little over a year ago. Did a temp fix that is working well. I have a new actuator and will replace it if I have to pull the dash for something else. I had chaffed wire giving me intermittent roof issue. Wrapped the wire and secured the bundle with a tie wrap. No more roof issues. Had to change the "pneumatic" struts for the top and the rear lid. I replaced the original roof struts this spring.

I think its a little harsh to say "it will fail." If I was looking for SSR I'd look for only 05 and 06. The seem to have less problems. I've heard Mike AZ say some of the electrical components in the later SSRs were better than the earlier trucks. I believe stepper motors are one of the items.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,956 Posts
I'm in MB, pulled the trigger, should have it in a couple weeks, 05 pac blue, 56k miles
You are gonna love it. Now you are one of the "BLUES BROTHERS". Congratulations.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts