Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Check the ground that is located on the inside of the frame right under the driver's side seat. Check if it's rusty or corroded. This can make the ABS throw errors and make gauges erratic.
I had this problem due to the underbody being splashed with salt/brackish water during king tides in Fort Lauderdale which accelerated corrosion and transfers electrolysis also. I thought my ABS was faulty. It was just the ground on the frame. Clean that before you look for more parts. *the ABS unit also crosses over into other GM vehicles.
Another thought is the ABS mounting location subjects it to extreme heat from the exhaust/catalytic converter. Check out the ABS heat shield available from simple-engineering.com

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
You also stated"
"I am asking before I take the truck to my mechanic to install the new modulator unit."

What makes you think it needs a new modulator - because the lights are on?

I was suggesting that you try these steps BEFORE you take to a mechanic, and definitely before you buy any more parts. This is especially true for one as expensive as an ABS modulator. Not only is the part $$$ but bleeding the brakes afterwards can be tricky and not always successful without a scan tool that can help perform this process.

Personally if you brought your truck to my shop here is what I would do.
Sure there would be a minimum charge, but less expensive than guessing incorrectly.
1. Check ALL modules for codes and record them
2. Perform a master reset (Really only steps 1-3 in my previous post)
3. Recheck for codes Key on Engine off,
If none then test drive.
4. Recheck for codes
If none - put the top down and go out and have some fun.
5. If codes are found -- Follow code charts depending on which codes are set to determine the cause. Hell, it maybe just a fuse for the ABS module that was blown when installing it. This should produce a U type code because the ABS module would not be communicating.

If you can do steps 1-3 and it test drive ok with no lights - then I would skip going to a mechanic until you had lights coming on or drivability issues. It may not work but its worth a shot. I have seen numerous computers get corrupt when even batteries are replaced and this sometimes solves the issues.

I would not start throwing more parts and money into it without some diagnostics
Good advice from this response! Just my two cents. The ABS module will see you back about $900+ unless you find a used one. Usually it's a ground problem.

·
SSR Believer
2,638 Posts
Check the ground that is located on the inside of the frame right under the driver's side seat. Check if it's rusty or corroded. This can make the ABS throw errors and make gauges erratic.
I had this problem due to the underbody being splashed with salt/brackish water during king tides in Fort Lauderdale which accelerated corrosion and transfers electrolysis also. I thought my ABS was faulty. It was just the ground on the frame. Clean that before you look for more parts. *the ABS unit also crosses over into other GM vehicles.
Agreed, mentioned that in my earlier post.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,769 Posts
The next step is to check for codes. Be sure to check ECM and most importantly ABS modules for codes. Many autoparts stores may not be able to access codes from ABS module.
Another question is was the ABS module replaced/repaired because of this?
And was it diagnosed or was it just a guess.
With the reduced speed warning, it could be a wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The next step is to check for codes. Be sure to check ECM and most importantly ABS modules for codes. Many autoparts stores may not be able to access codes from ABS module.
Another question is was the ABS module replaced/repaired because of this?
And was it diagnosed or was it just a guess.
With the reduced speed warning, it could be a wheel speed sensor.
it was diagnosed and rebuilt by Module Masters out of Moscow Idaho. I have a copy of exactly what they did as part of their process.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi Jimmy,

Looks like the experts are still busy at the rally. Here are a couple of more things to try in the meantime.

Per Dickator's advice to me for something similar a while back:

Also, the reset may have covered it, but you could try specifically resetting the ECM (engine control module). On your '05 you'll need to pull fuse #27 in the under-hood fuse box. Leave it out for about 30 minutes to fully discharge the capacitor to erase the memory. Then put it back in and try driving it to see if the issues reappear.

Have you had anyone use an OBD II reader to view any error codes? If you don't have one, most any auto parts store will do it for free. There could be several codes based on the warning lights. Carefully copy down each code and post them here when you have time. (I would have them read after you've cleared the ECM memory assuming you get the warning lights again.)

View attachment 600415 View attachment 600417 View attachment 600418
will try these suggestions. ABS unit was rebuilt by Module Masters out of Moscow Idaho...recommended and with a 5 year warranty. I can share with you what the rebuild consisted of if you like.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Okay, most of the SSR experts (mine was experience) on this site have provided advice, has it been repaired?
Not yet...I've tried all recommendations. The latest code I get is U0101. It says not communicating with TCM. My next move is to replace the modulator since the ABS control unit has been rebuilt. The ground under the drive seat attached to the frame had been checked for rust or corrosion also.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,769 Posts
@JimmySSBN

Is your scan tool ableto communicate with the ABS module?

This will require more than an OBD II code reader. But one that could perform brake bleeding, read inputs etc.

The modulator is an output of the module. If the module is not communicating on network it could be module, power supplies or ground issues.
If you can't read data from module I would look that way first. You never answered the question of what lead to the module being sent out.
Same code, same symptoms, etc?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Not yet...I've tried all recommendations. The latest code I get is U0101. It says not communicating with TCM. My next move is to replace the modulator since the ABS control unit has been rebuilt. The ground under the drive seat attached to the frame had been checked for rust or corrosion also.
Thank you
Thanks Jimmy, good luck. At the Chevy dealer I didn't see many ABS units with issues, mostly electrical and sensor problems.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,867 Posts
ABS warning and bells have been coming on in Thunder since the last day in Cincinnati... 😢 Looks like I got some checking to do! Following this thread closely...

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
876 Posts
Okay, most of the SSR experts (mine was experience) on this site have provided advice, has it been repaired?
Hate to get too far off thread, but in your V8 Corvair experiences have you ever met Mike Lavine?

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
13,699 Posts
ABS all idiots lights on?

Please explain all idiot lights?
Check engine? Battery? etc.

The first thing I might do suggest is a master reset of all modules. Be sure windows are lowered as they may need relearned after this and will not index, thus making it difficult to open the door.

1. Remove both positive and negative battery cables from battery.
2. Touch the two cables together for about 10 minutes. This should reset all modules and clear any codes or bad information stored in those modules.
3. Reconnect battery cables, remember negative cable LAST. Negative cable can be difficult to get tight but don't overnighter.
4. Test start and drive.
5. Report exactly, if any, lights are on and attempt to retrieve codes from ALL modules. Especially ABS and ECM or PCM. (I say ECM or PCM because I am not sure of the year).

Still working, we can't head down to rally until after class this evening.
Mark, Note: He said: after replacing ABS Module.

May not be for SSR. Kelsey Hayes 325 fits lots of vehicles and SSR 03/04 is different from 05/06 and ALL other ABS/EBCM modules.

Just a thought.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Hate to get too far off thread, but in your V8 Corvair experiences have you ever met Mike Lavine?
No Tuck don't know him, I built my Vair back in 72 when I lived in the St Louis area, most I see now built for road racing stuff. It was a fun project and have never regretted it, but I had to sell it to pay for college, thanks for asking! Fun times.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,415 Posts
No Tuck don't know him, I built my Vair back in 72 when I lived in the St Louis area, most I see now built for road racing stuff. It was a fun project and have never regretted it, but I had to sell it to pay for college, thanks for asking! Fun times.
Guys, take your side bar somewhere else please. This thread has a lot of important things going on and does not need distractions.

Reactions: SilverMo04
21 - 40 of 68 Posts