Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 custom Paint and trim , ROTM winner #2, Previous owned R’s, 2006 #1 of 8 2 tone & 2005 silver
2,836 Posts
I had ABS lack of communication code with my 04. Had Dicktator do repairs to the board. Put it in and still had the same codes. Had the codes wiped out but came back right away. There was instruction from the computer print out that it would take 40 qualified starts before lights would go out.
I thought I was past that but the trip to International the lights went out and has been ever since.(y)(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Mark, Note: He said: after replacing ABS Module.

May not be for SSR. Kelsey Hayes 325 fits lots of vehicles and SSR 03/04 is different from 05/06 and ALL other ABS/EBCM modules.

Just a thought.

Dicktator
ABS module was rebuilt with a 5 year warranty. ABS and TC idiot lights remain on. Next is to replace the modulator because the code indicates the pump it not working. Once I get the modulator installed, by my old school mechanic who I've used and trusted for years, I will post an update. Other continuing erratic behavior of gauges continues...speedometer, temp, gear indicator always shows 1st gear, window indexing or... not going up or down, roof ajar (which comes and goes).
Thanks yall....

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,497 Posts
I would recommend installing a spare EBCM that is known good. This will clear up several difficult questions that need to be answered. I have one that I can loan you. It would just be the cost of shipping it out to you and then back to me…….

You may also have a bad TCM, but I would wait on throwing money at that until you get the other random indications identified. Perhaps you have a bad 125 amp fuse on the engine fuse box. It feeds power to the cabin fuse box behind the passenger seat. That cabin fuse box supplies power to many of the things you listed as having ”erratic behavior”….. The failure mode on the 125 amp fuse is a minor fracture that becomes intermittent, just before failing altogether.

Hey @JimmySSBN …… welcome to the SSR family…… nice to see you came up for air.

Mike (VS-35 1969-73)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I would recommend installing a spare EBCM that is known good. This will clear up several difficult questions that need to be answered. I have one that I can loan you. It would just be the cost of shipping it out to you and then back to me…….

You may also have a bad TCM, but I would wait on throwing money at that until you get the other random indications identified. Perhaps you have a bad 125 amp fuse on the engine fuse box. It feeds power to the cabin fuse box behind the passenger seat. That cabin fuse box supplies power to many of the things you listed as having ”erratic behavior”….. The failure mode on the 125 amp fuse is a minor fracture that becomes intermittent, just before failing altogether.

Mike (VS-35 1969-73)
Thanks Mike ...I may take you up on the EBCM. Lets see what I come up with over the next couple of days once the modulator is replaced. Any recommendation is really appreciated. Has anyone done the hydraulic cylinder repair for the canopy top? I had a leak on the driver side so Im sure it needs fixing (not that I use the canopy top in South Florida...way too hot for even a sun roof unless your a tourist)
Thanks again...
Jim Tarlton
954.275.65237... mobile

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
876 Posts
Thanks Mike ...I may take you up on the EBCM. Lets see what I come up with over the next couple of days once the modulator is replaced. Any recommendation is really appreciated. Has anyone done the hydraulic cylinder repair for the canopy top? I had a leak on the driver side so Im sure it needs fixing (not that I use the canopy top in South Florida...way too hot for even a sun roof unless your a tourist)
Thanks again...
Jim Tarlton
954.275.65237... mobile
Apologies to all concerned. I guess the best alternative in this type situation is to do a private conversation and that I will try to do in the future. Again, sorry for waylaying your thread.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I had ABS lack of communication code with my 04. Had Dicktator do repairs to the board. Put it in and still had the same codes. Had the codes wiped out but came back right away. There was instruction from the computer print out that it would take 40 qualified starts before lights would go out.
I thought I was past that but the trip to International the lights went out and has been ever since.(y)(y)(y)(y)
40 qualified starts???

·
Premium Member
2004 custom Paint and trim , ROTM winner #2, Previous owned R’s, 2006 #1 of 8 2 tone & 2005 silver
2,836 Posts
I was told that qualified starts is more run time than just starting up your engine and shutting it off right away. It worked for me

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

Mike (VS-35 1969-73)
Replaced the 125 AMP fuse....same indicators on the dash...Modulator not replaced YET...

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
how do you know the ignition switch failed...did it not work?
I could be driving along, ABS light came on, radio started changing stations on its' own, warning lights would come on for no reason. I typically would pull to the side of the road, turn completely off, typically would start back and be fine, or it may repeat erratic malfunctions. Sometimes seatbelt system would go erratic, pretty much anything that needed 12v may go nuts. It always cranked and acted normal, except... sometimes, Lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
My question was..how did you know the ignition switch was defective? Thanks for sharing your story.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
13,699 Posts
Contact the RGang in Orlando. Not far from you.

Tom Sorensen aka Soren703 Phone 770-568-8092

Sounds like ignition switch, ever been changed??

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,867 Posts
My question was..how did you know the ignition switch was defective? Thanks for sharing your story.
Because it is a typical electrical problem for our trucks! Isn't that right @Dicktator ! He has been figuring this stuff out for years! Its a cheap fix and it won't cost you an arm and a leg if it doesn't fix it! ;)

Reactions: richsadams

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
13,699 Posts
I'm just about at a point where I've had my fun with my SSR and may just go ahead and sell it...
You buy a truck, 17yrs OLD and now you want to sell.

You are right, buy a NEW truck, they NEVER have any problems.

Even a NEW wife while you are at it.

Dicktator

41 - 60 of 68 Posts