Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting to see if anyone has had this problem: The ABS light, T/C light, Engine light and Service Brake System readout all came on at the same time! The speedometer does not work and when I put it in drive the readout for the transmission on the dash shows it in 1st. It has very little power when this happens. Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
ABS light, etc.

Just finished going through this problem. After a pair of RDM's and other computers as well the resolution was voltage loss thru the rear fuse box.
Here's the details as written in my service order.

Test drove and found ABS light to come on at times. Mostly when the vehicle was at a stop. Found when the ABS light comes on the windows and roof stop functioning. Installed scan tool to vehicle to watch class 2 data circuits and found several modules dropping off line at times. During inspection of data line found roof/door module had become unresponsive and both windows and roof to become inoperative due to lack of module communications. Tested for power at both module and ground and found both present. Bypassed amp on class 2 line to attempt to communicate with roof/door module but found test to be unsuccessful. Performed voltage drop on power, ground and class 2 data wires to roof/door and found excessive voltage drop on power wires to module. Traced voltage drop to be within the rear fuse block.
Installed new rear fuse block and roof/door module and tested, found all vehicle functions now operating properly. Test drove vehicle several times and found no lights to come on during test drives and all window/roof functions working properly.

This repair took considerable length of time, but I was provided with new Cadillacs as FREE loaners. I am satisfied with the result regardless of the time involved. Thanks to Hilton Head Cadillac, Buick, GMC. Job well done!!!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Mine did that last fall and it was the Transmission Control Module ... easy fix. The door locks on mine also flipped up and down, then the dash lights came on. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
Definitely sounds like your TCM is dead. Good news is that it is common to several GM platforms. Bad news is that it needs to be programmed to your truck. TCM is located next to the ECM on the same bracket, LH front frame inside engine bay ahead and below the underhood fuse block. I usually pull bracket with modules still attached then remove connectors and finally remove modules once free to avoid breaking bracket tabs.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,271 Posts
Definitely sounds like your TCM is dead. Good news is that it is common to several GM platforms. Bad news is that it needs to be programmed to your truck. TCM is located next to the ECM on the same bracket, LH front frame inside engine bay ahead and below the underhood fuse block. I usually pull bracket with modules still attached then remove connectors and finally remove modules once free to avoid breaking bracket tabs.
Agree, the symptoms sound like a bad Transmission Control Module, TCM. Might want to check your ground system as well.

·
Premium Member
5,879 Posts
river rat, must you go to dealer to have it programmed, or what equipment do you need to do it?

·
2,275 Posts
river rat, must you go to dealer to have it programmed, or what equipment do you need to do it?
Dealer or repair shop with diagnostic/programming equipment (Tech2/MDI with TIS programmer or equivalent system).. Most dealers have capability to program it without vehicle present. If I remember correctly Terry (TLM) picked up a new one at the GMC dealer near Denison and had them program it using his VIN during the rally. He then brought it back to his truck and installed it himself.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,052 Posts
If you had a custom TUNE prior to this and you mess with or replace the computers you may have to do a re-tune. Might check with your tuner person. Most Chevrolet Garages the first thing they do is remove the custom tune and put the stock tune in your vehicle. There goes $300 to $500 out the window. Good luck.

·
2,275 Posts
You are programming the TCM here not messing with ECM programming. According to Joe on past threads on this issue, he does no mods to the TCM during his tunes.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,052 Posts
You are programming the TCM here not messing with ECM programming.

You know that but does the Chevy Garage know that? My electrical port has a blocker installed and also secured in place with a zip tie and I also tell them not to touch it. Just trying to save some heartache here. When my Super Dyno Tune was done it covered all systems and cost $500.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,271 Posts
You know that but does the Chevy Garage know that? My electrical port has a blocker installed and also secured in place with a zip tie and I also tell them not to touch it. Just trying to save some heartache here. When my Super Dyno Tune was done it covered all systems and cost $500.
Yes, I have also heard that taking a vehicle to the dealer does sometimes cause them to reprogram the main computer to stock before they work on anything. Sometimes they ask and sometimes they don't. With a handheld programmer you can just bring it to stock before taking it to the dealer and reprogram afterwards so it is no big deal but a blocker is a good idea if you ever go to the dealer for any maintenance when someone else programmed it.

If you buy a TCM off EBay I think I saw a few vendors that will program it to your VIN before shipping so no worries about visiting the dealer and getting the main wiped if there is a concern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I've been out sick for a few days! I had the TCM replaced and they same problems as before recurred the same day. Going back in tomorrow to try other recommendations! Thanks to everyone and I keep you in the know on my findings!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
My Brake light and ABS lights came on, on the way home from Nashville last week. Then after it sets all night it doesn't come on the next morning. Gonna get it fixed, at Todd's, this week or next. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,656 Posts
Just wanting to see if anyone has had this problem: The ABS light, T/C light, Engine light and Service Brake System readout all came on at the same time! The speedometer does not work and when I put it in drive the readout for the transmission on the dash shows it in 1st. It has very little power when this happens. Any thoughts??
There is information on my SSR How to Library: FREE!

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

ABS is mounted very close to 1800 degree catalytic converter and they use LOW temp solder in manufacturing.

Separates solder connections on EBCM from PC board, ABS light comes on.

New one is about $500 bucks, I think. Several of us can solder this for you at minimal cost, like $50.00.

PM: Dragon2U, Mike in AZ or me.

After repair, may want to install ABS Heat Shield from Mike in AZ aka Copy of SSR Exhaust

Dicktator

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts