Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my A.C. wasn't working after winter storage, found a few leaks around the bolts(uv light) and tightened them down. The compressor didn't kick on when a.c. button was pushed. Thought maybe it was low on refrigerant. Bought a recharge can, and as soon as I pulled the trigger the compressor came on, but is making a very loud clunking sound. Has the compressor gone bad?
I read all the posts about the a.c. Delco replacement, but who has actually replaced it themselves? How difficult is it?

·
Tech Support/Research
1,616 Posts
It could be the compressor clutch or bearing, which can be replaced with the unit on the bench. But usually the bearing produces a growl. In the last higher mileage SSR I owned, the clunk/rattle was internal and demanded a replacement compressor. It was tedious to remove and reinstall because of tight access to the mounting fasteners but it can be done. Also, keep track of which bolt goes where and the order of installation of the belts. I found the A/C belt tougher to install because of limited range of motion of the idler using a long breaker bar and don't recall what combination of extension bars I used but it worked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts