Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My " upgraded" ignition switch lasted less than 2 yrs.
won't stay latched in the colum housing so I have to use the release button to shut it off and remove the key. This happened today while staging for the Go Texan Parade in Conroe. Had to pop the lower cover off with a few hundred people watching!
And I had donated my spare at the last Tech day and forgot to replace it.
Thank god for Amazon Prime! Two more will be here Monday!

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
40,052 Posts
I just had the new and improved Delco switch go bad on my Trailblazer after 10 months and 9,000 miles. I replaced it with the spare I had for my SSR so when it acted up this time thinking it had to be something else I took to the dealer. It would not start unless I moved the tilt steering wheel so the dealer checked all the wires in the column and told me bad ignition switch and I did nothing wrong installing the first one that they see a lot of the new style go bad. The first switch lasted 92,000 miles.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,024 Posts
I guess the overseas quality is shining brightly as ever. A part like that should last much longer than a year, what a joke.

But, if it is a Delco part and you keep your reciept, the Delco website states that the OE parts, which the D1426D switch is, is covered for 2 years and unlimited mileage.

So, I would return it and maybe after quite a few of them are brought back Delco, they will review the issue and possiby make a change to make them last like they should. Sure, just a few bucks lost, but what a PITA to keep changing it, just a thought.........

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
40,052 Posts
This is the package from the one I just had go bad bought from the Chevy dealer.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Recently purchased a new Delco D1426D with the intention of adding it to my PM list of things to address before Spring. After reading this post, I am thinking I may just add it to the glove box litter and rely on the OEM switch until it poops.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
40,052 Posts
Recently purchased a new Delco D1426D with the intention of adding it to my PM list of things to address before Spring. After reading this post, I am thinking I may just add it to the glove box litter and rely on the OEM switch until it poops.
I'm not saying to do that just that it is a electronic component and subject to failure with out warning !!!!!!

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,027 Posts
Yes, they can be bad. I have seen bad one out of package before.

We have Multiplex wiring and "everything" goes thru ignition switch.

5 sets of points that can and will burn causing wrong signal to ECM (engine computer).

Won't shift, windows won't work, strange info on cluster. Seen it all.

I change ignition switch, battery and negative battery cable every 4-5 years, need to or not.

Of course I only have 147,000 miles on mine.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
For the AC Delco Warranty.
AC Delco would not honor the warranty on a new defective product bought directly from them
shortly after the purchase.
So, good luck on that one!

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be Sure you get ACDelco D1426D! There are knock-offs out there!

Mike aka https://shop.simple-engineering.com/category.sc?categoryId=30

buys direct from ACDelco.

I get mine from Mike.

Dicktator
Amazon has the same ACD Part No. I would have ordered from Mike but I get next day shipping with Prime and need it ASAP (Daily Driver) The one that went bad was from SE.
The little plastic spring latches won't hold the switch in the housing tight. After I originally installed it I had the same issue, pushed it back up in "CLICK" no problem. Thought maybe I didn't set in in when I put it in the first time but now I think it may have been bad from the get go. I'm not going to try to hit ACD for a warranty replacement on a $27 part that I installed, it would be fruitless.
I don't trust ACDelco replacement parts anymore. The OEM parts go 100K Mi. and the replacement OE parts last less than a year! I went through two replacement ACDelco Alternators in a year and now number three is starting to whine! Warranty just replaces it with the same crap. I replaced my Idler and both tensioners to eliminate that. I'm going to go with one with a lifetime replacement warrantee and see how that holds up. The Delco only has a 2 year warranty. I had the charging system checked out and there's no issues that would cause these to fail. The NAPA store guy said they exchange a lot of these but they have to carry them because people and shops demand OE parts. He's recommended another one they sell that's cheaper, better warranty and never had issues with them.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replaced the switch today, all is good. Spare in the Console for ne time.
My order one of the Japanese replacements from RockAuto just to see if its a better alternative to ACDeadco.
I've had several Toyota and Honda products and never had issues with them. Have more faith in them than Mexico.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well that lasted two days. went to the Gym Today came home pulled in the garage engine shut off but power stayed on and could not remove key. Same problem I had before. Switch is still snapped in nice and tight. Worked perfect several times after I replaced it. And it worked fine after I released the key and ran some errands! Having to leave the lower cover off now to drive it.
I'm stumped now! Any suggestions? I've replace at least a dozen Ign Switches, I know I have it in correctly.
Could the Solenoid be causing this?
Greg

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Greg:
Sounds like you might be one tooth off on the ignition switch when installed. When I did mine, I installed the new switch one tooth off and the truck retained power while the key was in the off position.

Removed switch and reinstalled correctly and all was good.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Greg:
Sounds like you might be one tooth off on the ignition switch when installed. When I did mine, I installed the new switch one tooth off and the truck retained power while the key was in the off position.

Remived switch and reinstalled correctly and all was good.
I wish that was the case. But mine won't even go into the off position when it acts up and the key can't be removed. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it wont shut off and locks the key.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Must have everyone Stumped?
I messed with this today but it's working fine today so far. I cant find anything obvious that could be causing this intermittent issue. Tried to find out exactly how the solenoid operates but cant find any good description anywhere to rule that in or out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts