Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AC Delco has no Warranty
AC Delco will not honor their 12 Month Warranty because they do not sell to the Consumer. Here’s the story.
I purchased an AC Delco Vapor Canister 215-540 from Jet.com that was shipped from the AC Delco Warehouse on Jan 19. A Certified Technician installed it on Feb. 12. The “Tighten Fuel Cap Message” is still there. I take it in to be diagnosed
on May 21st. Well, there is a hairline crack in the Vapor Canister causing the message since the installation. So, I call AC Delco to find out what to do for their 12 month warranty. They said: “ We can’t do anything because we do not sell to the Consumer.” In other words, “We will not honor our Warranty!. OK, time to call Jet.com. They said: “What! I can’t believe that AC Delcowill not honor their Warranty. The Return Period for Jet.com is 30 days, so I can’t do anything. However, due to the usual circumstances with AC Delco Jet will get you a $25 credit for future purchases.”.
By the way, this is the 3rd defective new GM/AC Delco part in the past year. The Technician Fees to resolve these issues have been quite substantial.
My advise, “Avoid AC Delco if you can!”.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I don't understand why the certified installer didn't pick up on something was wrong at the installation?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
That is a pretty common issue no matter who you buy from, not just AC Delco. If the dealer does not purchase and install, more often than not, if there is a future issue they will not cover it. Purchasing outside of the dealer could mean it is a gray market part, something that has all the same markings but is either a reject or not made by the OEM. I know you said it was from certified sources but still, the dealer has supply lines that they use and anything outside of that is questionable.

Sorry to hear of all the problems, I do agree that AC Delco is not as good as it once was but I think it is better than some of the other offerings out there.

·
Slingshot Rules!
73,792 Posts
Unfortunately, RG, sounds like your "beef" is with the company and/or individual from whom you purchased the AC Delco product. Are you certain they are a licensed / certified retailer for AC Delco?

Something is just not passing the smell test on this one.

I agree with Mike.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
plugs

AC Delco has no Warranty
AC Delco will not honor their 12 Month Warranty because they do not sell to the Consumer. Here’s the story.
I purchased an AC Delco Vapor Canister 215-540 from Jet.com that was shipped from the AC Delco Warehouse on Jan 19. A Certified Technician installed it on Feb. 12. The “Tighten Fuel Cap Message” is still there. I take it in to be diagnosed
on May 21st. Well, there is a hairline crack in the Vapor Canister causing the message since the installation. So, I call AC Delco to find out what to do for their 12 month warranty. They said: “ We can’t do anything because we do not sell to the Consumer.” In other words, “We will not honor our Warranty!. OK, time to call Jet.com. They said: “What! I can’t believe that AC Delcowill not honor their Warranty. The Return Period for Jet.com is 30 days, so I can’t do anything. However, due to the usual circumstances with AC Delco Jet will get you a $25 credit for future purchases.”.
By the way, this is the 3rd defective new GM/AC Delco part in the past year. The Technician Fees to resolve these issues have been quite substantial.

Albert Champion went to work producing spark plugs to be used in Buick automobiles. Champion and Durant formed "Champion Ignition Co." Very shortly later, the Stranahan brothers ("Champion Spark Plug Co.") informed them they could not use the name "Champion" as they had it trademarked. At that time the name was changed to reflect Champion's initials. "AC Spark Plug" was trademarked in 1908. In 1927 AC became a division of General Motors. Just history

Bird

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,165 Posts
You have to look at the chain in the sales process here. AC Delco sold the part to the dealer (either new car dealer or a parts wholesaler) for a mark up. If it went to the new car dealer they sold the part then to someone else at a mark up who sold it to you at a mark up. So the part has had 2 or more mark ups on it. You are not happy with the part after it failed and now want a replacement or your money back. The problem here is the price AC sold it for originally is far less than what you paid for it. Why should they have to eat the profit the dealer and maybe distributor has made on the part. That is why they say you have to go back to where you purchased it from to get them to return it to where they purchased it from and so on back down the chain. While I am not saying it is right, it is how the system works in the appliance field that I work in. Many times the dealer that you buy it from will give that answer that you have to go to the manufacturer for the extended warranty when really they have to process it for you as the selling dealer. This is where the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You will probably have to call them and ask for a manager or higher up to get it resolved. And remember the polite guy who is fair and firm asking for help to resolve a problem gets the best results. The guy who is screaming and telling them what they are going to do usually gets a dial tone in their ear.

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
AC Delco has no Warranty

:surprise::surprise::surprise:
Wow, not sure what make/model you have, and I just did a quick google on the part number you provided.:frown2:

Holy mackerel,

I'm hoping my (tighten fuel cap)message ends up better. The (Check engine light) message that I got, translated to three items. Of course, first was buy a new fuel cap...........I did not do that...........as two/three yrs ago, I got the same msg. and buying a new fuel cap was NOT the answer. So I opted for part (2), the Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid. This mounts under the truck (My '05 Avalanche) by the fuel tank. Last time, this was the fix, no more problems and no more (check engine light).

Now, I have the same deal going again. So I got another Vent solenoid and replaced the old one and then got the (check engine light) erased..............Bingo, within a week, it comes back, so now I just got the third item (Vapor Canister Purge Valve), this goes in the engine compartment and I will install it later this week as just getting back from Rally in M. Valley.

Hopefully, that solves it and it is not in fact the damn cap. All three of these parts don't come close to what I saw for the price of your one part.:crying:

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
5,057 Posts
My message (tighten fuel cap) comes on also. I hit the reset or okay button on steering. wheel and it goes away. Until I restart engine. What harm if any will come if I don’t replace any of the parts ??

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stlhotrod, Doophus, et al:
Thank you for your comments.
Jet.com has a contract with AC Delco to drop ship directly from their (AC Delco) warehouse.
No Middleman on this one.
And, if the Seller's policy is less then AC Delco (Jet.com - 30 days). it overrides the AC Delco policy.

Moscooter:
See my post on "Tighten Fuel Cap".
Vent Valve, Solenoid, Fuel Cap, Fuel Tank, Fuel Pump, Vapor Canister and Feeder Lines.
It went away for awhile when I read an entry on the internet that said to grease the rim of the fuel cap. Apparently, the seal hardens and doesn't seat properly. It did work for quite awhile.

It seems to be just a "crap shoot" today as most parts only have a 30 day warranty.
Which translates to "no warranty" in most cases.
I've had very good luck with Bosch Parts.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,165 Posts
Just a suggestion here but have you tried writing a review on Jets site and ask for help in the review? That may get some results from them to get the review turned to a positive "ending". I work for an appliance distributor and while we don't sell or deal with the public we always try to help people when we can and even when something maybe out of a warranty or if the manufacturer is being difficult we always try to get things taken care of. If we do our job on our end it keeps the people coming back to us and buying from us over some one else. Writing the review "that while Jet has been great to work with, there is a problem with the AC Delco part and they are not wanting to help Jets customers. It would be great if Jet could get AC Delco to step up on this warranty issue". Something like that may help you

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
My message (tighten fuel cap) comes on also. I hit the reset or okay button on steering. wheel and it goes away. Until I restart engine. What harm if any will come if I don’t replace any of the parts ??
:smile2:
No harm at all, but if your state has an inspection process with emission controls, you likely would fail the inspection next time around...........until you fix the problem causing it.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Stlhotrod, Doophus, et al:
Thank you for your comments.
Jet.com has a contract with AC Delco to drop ship directly from their (AC Delco) warehouse.
No Middleman on this one.
And, if the Seller's policy is less then AC Delco (Jet.com - 30 days). it overrides the AC Delco policy.

Moscooter:
See my post on "Tighten Fuel Cap".
Vent Valve, Solenoid, Fuel Cap, Fuel Tank, Fuel Pump, Vapor Canister and Feeder Lines.
It went away for awhile when I read an entry on the internet that said to grease the rim of the fuel cap. Apparently, the seal hardens and doesn't seat properly. It did work for quite awhile.

It seems to be just a "crap shoot" today as most parts only have a 30 day warranty.
Which translates to "no warranty" in most cases.
I've had very good luck with Bosch Parts.
:frown2:
yeah, I put a gob of vasoline around the gasket on my fuel cap, it didn't seem to help. Hope the purge valve turns out to solve this deal for me.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,499 Posts
:surprise::surprise::surprise:
within a week, it comes back, so now I just got the third item (Vapor Canister Purge Valve), this goes in the engine compartment and I will install it later this week as just getting back from Rally in M. Valley.

Hopefully, that solves it and it is not in fact the damn cap. All three of these parts don't come close to what I saw for the price of your one part.:crying:
I went through the same thing with my '06 Silverado. The one one the Engine solved it---after I took the off brand back and got an AC DELCO!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
I am not sure what you paid from Jet.com
Advance auto parts sells AC delco for an 05 SSR and THEY provide the 1 year warranty. Ships to home for free just under $50.

If I am reading your post right you purchased a part from an outside source and then had someone else install.
When I was working as a technician full-time I would never install a customer furnished part. As a technician I am judged by the final result "car is fixed right and lasts!" Sure I make money on my parts, making money keeps the shop open! AND I warranty my labor AND my parts. Labor is 90 days and parts were at least 90 days or longer depending on the part and the supplier I chose. As a professional we are also judged by the quality of the parts we install. What good is a lifetime warranty if you have to keep replacing it. Plus if the parts fails more than once the customer might start to doubt my abilities.

I would ask any customer requesting such a thing "Would you take a steak into a nice restaurant and ask them to cook it for you? If it turns out bad and you don't like the steak, the chef will blame the quality of the steak and the butcher will blame how it is prepared." Nobody wins.

Just my $.02 worth.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
I've had a go round with the shop I use. The wife runs the office and has growled about me supplying parts, saying I'm the only one they allow to do it partly because I pay cash.

My response was this ain't no Toyota. In some cases I can get parts you can't, and sometimes better parts than you can. Your shop rates should cover your labor and if you feel shorted by not making a profit on the parts figure out the amount and add it to the bill. I've never questioned a bill.

I want it done right to the best of your ability, and willing to pay for that. If you screw up, just own up to it and we'll work on a fix. That was the end of her objections.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts