Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting for a couple of weeks, I took the SSR for a short drive to do some errands. My second stop, I put the top down and continued on as normal. Third stop, shut the motor off, removed ignition key, running lights extinguished as normal, opened the door to get out, and the radio stayed on. Did all the things we all would do, eg., turned the key back on/off and removed several times, restarted, shut off, removed key, opened/closed drivers door several times, still radio on and windows would go up/down, etc. Finally, having an appointment I needed to keep, I shut the radio off, locked the car and went about my business. Back in less than an hour unlocked door keylessly as usual, got in, tried the radio without turning the ignition on, and it didn't come on. Tried windows, etc., and nothing. Started the truck, operated the windows, turned on the radio (everything worked normally) drove to my next destination, stopped truck, turned off as usual, remove key, open door and radio turns off as normal, neither windows nor other accessories would function---all completely back to normal.
Have tried to re-create each day since, but everything works as normal.

What happened???l

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,009 Posts
Have you replaced the original ignition switch yet?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Driver Door Actuator.
Contact Dicktator.
Sounds right---but--where/what is that (drivers door actuator)???

Maybe Dicktator will see this and give me some of his always helpful advice.....if not, I'll give him a shout later.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Go to Tools and Advanced Search. Search Door Actuator Switch, there will be a post by Dicktator with pictures of the switch in question, and a description of what might be causing your issue. Hope it helps

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
I agree with others regard door module. Use of tech 2 to watch RDM data would easily confirm this. I will also let you know two other things I found out.
I turned key off from open drivers window. Radio continued to play. However when the RAP (retained accessory power) shut down in approximately 10 minutes (3 beach boys songs, the CD that was playing).
I repeated the process, shut it down radio playing opening the passenger door shut it down.
You might be able to spray contact cleaner in drivers door (probably too late) and see if reoccurs. Rest assured if it does open passenger door and go about your business.
IMPORTANT you will have to manually lower drivers window a touch and leave it Down because indexing didn't work.

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Damn, I'm tired of readin' about all these "Gremlins" in these General Motors "Pick Up Trucks" ... makes me wanna' sell "IT" buy me a recliner at the Goodwill Store and a Cigar at the Convenience Market, get me a Computer with a REMOTE and sit back smoke that stinky cigar, count my money from the guy or gal who bought the "Pick Up" and get on the SSR Forum and have a few laughs.

"Hold up on that Car Woooorrrk Gentleman" (Smoky and the Bandit Jackie Gleason) just went out in the garage, took a look at "Red Molly" how could you part with such a beautiful one of kind Chevrolet SSR :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hang in there kensunnymc I know help is just a few posts away. Keep in mind these beautiful "little trucks" are getting some "age" on them and need some TLC. DICTATOR to the rescue or one of our other Engineer's !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
6,450 Posts
Some how my settings got changed as far as entering and exiting. ( Don't know how). Maybe that would be something to check.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go to Tools and Advanced Search. Search Door Actuator Switch, there will be a post by Dicktator with pictures of the switch in question, and a description of what might be causing your issue. Hope it helps
Found the post and the how-to. I now understand what might be causing the problem. It hasn't re-occurred so I'm thinking I'll wait and see.
Understanding it is half the problem ---dealing with it is something again.

Thanks much to all who posted on this issue.
Ken

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,947 Posts
I would change ignition switch. Points get burnt and don't send proper signal to ECM (Engine Computer Module).

Ignition switch MUST see 9 volts and everything goes thru ignition switch. 9volts from 12volts only leaves 3volts to play with.

I change battery/neg battery cable, ignition switch every 4/5years if I need to or not.

That said, nothing gets more water than "DOOR LATCH/LOCK MODULE". Owners don't know that they have an important module at door handle.

Needs to be lubricated and should be waterproofed by some means. I use SIL-GLYDE by NAPA , just spread on top of module when door panel is off. You can also spray with Silicone spray thru openings to protect module from water.

Your R driving in the rain, car wash, hand wash, a LOT of water runs down window and onto Door Latch/Lock Module, it is NOT waterproof. This causes corrosion on contacts which produce "wrong" signal or NO signal, thus radio stays on, battery goes dead.

More on SSR How to Library: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

1. Ignition Switch ACDelco D1426D
2. Water got to motor.
3. Radio doesn't shut off because of all the corrosion on contacts.
4. Windows won't detent! Wonder why?
5.Corrosion on contact.

Attachments

·
Georgia SSRers
1,011 Posts
Doin It

More pictures.
How I spray my Door Module.
Dicktator
OUR FANATICS SITE IS AMAZING.
I see these posts, AND, even though I haven't had this particular problem. I WILL DO THIS MONDAY !
THANKS AGAIN, DICKTATOR, MY PAL !

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More pictures.

I have "rebuilt" Door Latch/lock Module in stock.

Dicktator
What's the price for the rebuilt door module? I wouldn't be sending a core back until mine fails (again, if ever), but would like to have one on hand if my problem recurs, so include the core charge as well, please..

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More pictures.

I have "rebuilt" Door Latch/lock Module in stock.

Dicktator
I would change ignition switch. Points get burnt and don't send proper signal to ECM (Engine Computer Module).

Ignition switch MUST see 9 volts and everything goes thru ignition switch. 9volts from 12volts only leaves 3volts to play with.

I change battery/neg battery cable, ignition switch every 4/5years if I need to or not.

That said, nothing gets more water than "DOOR LATCH/LOCK MODULE". Owners don't know that they have an important module at door handle.

Needs to be lubricated and should be waterproofed by some means. I use SIL-GLYDE by NAPA , just spread on top of module when door panel is off. You can also spray with Silicone spray thru openings to protect module from water.

Your R driving in the rain, car wash, hand wash, a LOT of water runs down window and onto Door Latch/Lock Module, it is NOT waterproof. This causes corrosion on contacts which produce "wrong" signal or NO signal, thus radio stays on, battery goes dead.

More on SSR How to Library: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

1. Ignition Switch ACDelco D1426D
2. Water got to motor.
3. Radio doesn't shut off because of all the corrosion on contacts.
4. Windows won't detent! Wonder why?
5.Corrosion on contact.
Dick--when enquiring about the module, I failed to thank you for all the info. Rest assured I really appreciate it and take nothing for granted---sometimes my mind just gets target-fixated and all my manners get shoved in the corner.

Thanks again, Ken

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,947 Posts
For me, it is exchange program on DOOR LATCH/LOCK MODULE, if I were to sell what I have on hand, four, I wouldn't have any for quick turnaround when needed.

It takes time to disassemble, clean, adjust, New motor and test.

I ask $50.00 for Parts/Labor/Mailing and OLD Module that I can rebuild and put on shelf for next SSR owner.

I have rebuilt some for Mike aka https://shop.simple-engineering.com/category.sc?categoryId=11e out of his stash. We are trying to have quick turnaround for SSR Fanatics.

Dorman Makes a New one, Drivers Side Only but has to be MODIFIED to work on SSR. I have two in Stock, modified for $175.00 each includes mailing.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For me, it is exchange program on DOOR LATCH/LOCK MODULE, if I were to sell what I have on hand, four, I wouldn't have any for quick turnaround when needed.

It takes time to disassemble, clean, adjust, New motor and test.

I ask $50.00 for Parts/Labor/Mailing and OLD Module that I can rebuild and put on shelf for next SSR owner.

I have rebuilt some for Mike aka https://shop.simple-engineering.com/category.sc?categoryId=11e out of his stash. We are trying to have quick turnaround for SSR Fanatics.

Dorman Makes a New one, Drivers Side Only but has to be MODIFIED to work on SSR. I have two in Stock, modified for $175.00 each includes mailing.

Dicktator
Thanks for the info. I understand the quick-turn-around need.. I'll sit and wait a bit to see if the problem comes back, and if so, will contact you for a rebuild/exchange.

Again, thanks for all you do for us Fanatics. Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts