Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around on the forum to see if this has happen to anyone else. I did not see it.

Yesterday after turning the engine on after a brief stop I started the engine but the accelerator would not work. I pressed the pedal for acceleration and nothing, just an idle. Luckily I was near home so I idled home in first gear with a lightly loaded small trailer in tow. Once I got home where I knew if something serious had occurred I turned off the engine and restarted it. The accelerator worked great for the rest of the day. Has this happen to anyone else?

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,565 Posts
Gary, I saw your post and as you know I'm not exactly Mr. Wizard as far as mechanics go but I thought a good place to start might be a call or PM to our local guru, Gary - river_rat. He has saved my bacon many times. - :wink2:

Let me know if you need his number or if there is anything I can do. I'm now sending you a PM with my cell if you don't already have it. :smile2:

=================
David :black:
images-9.jpeg

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey David, if it happens again I will get a hold of him. Right now it is running fine. I believe it is just a computer anomaly that may not happen again anytime soon. As a backyard mechanic I know it is impossible to diagnosis an intermittent problem unless it is occurring while diagnosing it. At least now I know I can limp home in first gear with even a trailer attached. Thank you for reaching out.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,286 Posts
Gary
The SSR is "drive by wire". The ECM computer completely controls the engine electronically including monitoring accelerator pedal input (no cable directly to throttle body). Any MIL indication or other lights at the time? What was the battery condition? How long since you've changed your ignition switch? At the minimum, I would disconnect and reconnect the accelerator pedal plug with key off.

I think your R was telling you it wanted to run, not work (with a trailer in tow).......

I'm currently "down by the river", watching the sun beginning to set and enjoying a cold beer....

Attachments

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,565 Posts
Gary, I'll be on 'standby' here just in case there is anything I can do. I PMed my cell to you so just call me if you need me. So glad we have the river_rat here in Houston area with us! - 0:)

I'm currently "down by the river", watching the sun beginning to set and enjoying a cold beer....

Hey Rat, I'm hoping that both you and Beth will enjoy a cold one for me!! - :cheers :59:

=================
David :black:
images-9.jpeg

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I’ve had this same thing happen. Parked in a bank parking lot on an incline and shut the engine off. Restarted a few minutes later after doing my business. Let the R roll backwards out of the parking spot, put it in gear, hit the accelerator pedal, nothing! Dumbfounded, hit it a couple more times...nothing! Shut the engine off and restarted it, accelerator worked fine and drove it home. A week or so later, same thing happened again. Posted the issue on the Forum, Dictator said “change the ignition switch.” Changed the switch and haven't had that issue again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As RiverRat said, the engine is a drive by wire. In fact the pedal position sensor has two identical circuit for redundancy. If they are not giving the exact same signal to the computer, then the computer doesn't know what to do. So it does NOTHING. A safety default. I don't think you can buy this sensor separately. It comes as an entire pedal and sensor unit.
As others have mentioned that it could be the ignition switch, by all means change that first. It's easy and cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Daughter had a Mercedes with battery in trunk...Has a dis-connect installed as the car [sat] a lot. One day she switched the battery to [on].....got in the car & started it, put in gear & the same as you have. The gas, [feed] pedal didn't work & like you could do about 5 MPH in gear. I looked at it and it kept doing the same thing. On a guess I said give the computer time to boot up/ as / the battery had been disconnected. After all the bells & warning lights went off the car drove as normal. Could it be that you rushed into gear?

Bird

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone, I am going to drive as is for the time being. I do not plan to do any long trips in the future, so if it happens again I know I can get home and discover what is wrong ie. ignition switch or a bad sensor. Thank you again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts