Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if there is a 12v accessory power source anywhere, in, under, the bed?
Im hooking up a backup camera. I know you can power it from the reverse lights.
Im looking for the camera to be powered whenever the ignition is on. I had hoped the lighter socket was switched but its on constant.
Thanks

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,271 Posts
The only good place to put it for power only when the ignition is on is from the fuse box behind the seat. There is one fuse there with power when key is on, think it is AUX PWR 2. Get a fuse tap and run off that one for power when truck is on. I did it for some of my ACCYs and it worked well.

·
LKMURKY
448 Posts
Wondering if there is a 12v accessory power source anywhere, in, under, the bed?
Im hooking up a backup camera. I know you can power it from the reverse lights.
Im looking for the camera to be powered whenever the ignition is on. I had hoped the lighter socket was switched but its on constant.
Thanks
Jonny:
I'm getting ready for this in a few days with the new Joying Stereo install on my 06 Blur. What is the advantage to having Rear Camera on always? I've been thinking I'd like the option, but not sure when or how I'd use it. Will the Camera stand being powered on all the vehicle's running time?
Dicktator made some sorta generic warning about not choosing just any random power source for your Back-up camera, like the simplest option of just the reverse lights circuit in the Daytona Tech session, implied it may cause electrical hiccoughs in the SSR Electrical system. But I never got a chance to ask for any more details.
Would be interested in knowing how you are going to route your Camera feed.
It looked like a possibility to bring it underneath the bed, and then through the roof storage compartment and then underneath the center console to the stereo.
Would appreciate whatever guidance you have, I'm going to try to start on this Thursday.
Cary
LKMURKY
:blur::yellow:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
There is a drain plug under each of the seats You can run power and video in a small wire loom sheath and zip tie it to the top of the frame rail, then punch a small hole in the plug and run the wire through it and seal with rubber caulk. I use my backup cam all the time as an extra rear view mirror. Can't get enough eyes on those idiots that follow you but do not pay attention.
I brought mine up the left frame rail because I have my monitor in the lower left corner of the windshield.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want it powered so when in the camera setting....it works.
Yes I used the drain plug. For anyone reading this down the line...The plug comes out just behind the passenger seat...very handy.
Mike the fuse tap was the winning suggestion!
I ran the power for both cameras to the fuse tap and grounded them to the ground lug behind the passenger seat.
It worked great!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts