Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Savannah Meet Activities

For those who are planning to take part in the Savannah Meet, I have some good news. After struggling to determine which activites would be of interest to the group, and get some local cooperation( I live 2.5 hours away), I contacted a local Savannah car club, the Dixie Land Cruisers and hit gold!
As it turns out that group along with another group has organized a big car show in the area that weekend. This is the link that describes the events, http://dixielandcruisers.freeservers.com/calendar_july_2005.html#29. We have been inivited to take part if we choose, sounds like a Rod-a-palooza to me. Here is the note they sent, " There is a major car show just south of Savannah. Take I-16 to I-95 and then south to Richmond Hill. I've sent you a strip map from the hotel to Richmond Hill. GA. Check out the events for July 29,30, and 31. Many of the club members will be at all three events.

There is a lot of tourist things to do in Savannah. Tybee Island beach, Fort Pulaski, Fort Jackson, River Street, the tour the old Historic squares of Savannah, Colonial Cemetery, Pirate house Restaurant, Juliet Low's House (Girl Scout founder)."

For those who want to do their on thing there are lots of interesting things to do & see and you can look at www.savannah.com for more info.

Based on these details, we should plan for an arrival on Saturday before 2PM if we want to take part. Please post when you'll be arriving and we can pin down a meeting place and time to get togther.

Lets make it LARGE weekend! :party

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
This sounds like it will be a blast! Thanks

Which event are you thinking of attending on Sat.?
July 30 - Saturday

2nd Annual Ford Days Festival & Cruisin' The Hill Open Vehicle Show Car Corral & Swap Meet in Richmond Hill, GA

We are raffling off a Truck (on the flier you cannot see that because it is too dark). Participants will receive one free ticket in their Goody Bag and may be able to purchase more on the day of the show if they wish. Maria Pruden, Chairperson Richmond Hill Historical Society 756-2530

Flyer

(back to calendar)

July 30 - Saturday There is to be a show at Krispy Kreme on Saturday, July 30, hosted by the Muscle Car Club. This monthly show is held on the 4th Sunday from 3:00-6:00, UNLESS there is a 5th Saturday; in which case it is held from 6:00-9:00.

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Invitation

For those of us coming to Savannah, we have been extended the following invitation:
George,

My name is Howard Clements. I'm President of the Southeast Regional Car Council. Also a director in Coastal Muscle Car Cruizers. We are having a cruise in at the Krsipy Kreme on Skidaway Road one block south of Victory Drive Staring at 6:00 PM . There will be entertainment and door prizes. I would like to invite you and your friends to join us. There seem to be a lot of enthusiasm at the Council meeting. We think there is going to be a goo d turn out.

Saturday morning The Over The Hill Gang is having a car show in Richmond Hill to help the Historical Society. This is on GA 144 just off US 17. TheOTHG are really good folks. A pick up is being given away. See the Ford Days Festival" event under all events at the Council web site.

Give me a call for any info. http://www.sercarcouncil.org/

Take care and good cruising,

Howard Clements
912-748-0477
877-698-0973

·
Registered
216 Posts
Events

Just got off the phone with Maria, the co-ordinator for the Historical society event. Big Daddy, you did gooood on these dates! They are expecting close to 200 cars for the open event car show! It would be nice to have 1/10 of them be SSR's!

Friday night there is a Poker run for $5.00. This includes hotdogs, hamburgers and a live band after the run. Starts at 5:00 in Richmond Hill (30 - 45 minutes away from downtown Savannah).

Saturday is the open event car show for $20. This fee includes a raffle ticket for a truck to be given away that day. Registration is from 9:00 to 12:00, event ends at 5:00. She mentioned a tv crew will be taping the raffle for the evening news...wonder if lightning can strike twice... :lol Krispy creme cruise in starts at 6:00 back in Savannah...I hope the "HOT NOW" light is on!

I am PUMPED up about this!!!

Sunday the web site mentioned a cruise in at Lovezollas pizza...5:00 P.M. is kinda late, but dang they have good pizza!

Sooo many choices, so little time!

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
OK, I'm going to be a "party pooper!"

Went to a cruise-in Saturday afternoon/evening and even though there were a LOT of great cars/rods/trucks there, I about MELTED in the 100+ heat index of a hot blacktop parking lot! With that memory in mind, doing it again with a great city like Savannah to explore just doesn't trip my trigger right now.

For those of you who haven't been there, Tybee Island (only about 15 miles South) is a great little city on the ocean that time seems to have forgotton. I may end up at the beach! But, if the weather co-operates, I will futher explore the city of Savannah as it has some of the most beautiful squares (with GORGEOUS fountains), interesting cemeteries (yes, I said cemeteries!), antique shops for EVERYONE and true Southern Charm that just oozes class!

If you have time, take a night-time GHOST TOUR, as it is also the most haunted city in American......

Don't get me wrong, car shows are GREAT, but you may miss a huge opportunity for some first-time memories......

See y'all there!

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buffy said:
OK, I'm going to be a "party pooper!"

Went to a cruise-in Saturday afternoon/evening and even though there were a LOT of great cars/rods/trucks there, I about MELTED in the 100+ heat index of a hot blacktop parking lot! With that memory in mind, doing it again with a great city like Savannah to explore just doesn't trip my trigger right now.

For those of you who haven't been there, Tybee Island (only about 15 miles South) is a great little city on the ocean that time seems to have forgotton. I may end up at the beach! But, if the weather co-operates, I will futher explore the city of Savannah as it has some of the most beautiful squares (with GORGEOUS fountains), interesting cemeteries (yes, I said cemeteries!), antique shops for EVERYONE and true Southern Charm that just oozes class!

If you have time, take a night-time GHOST TOUR, as it is also the most haunted city in American......

Don't get me wrong, car shows are GREAT, but you may miss a huge opportunity for some first-time memories......

See y'all there!
John,
Good comments, for those who have never visited Savannah you have the right recipe for fun. There is going to be plenty to do, car related or not, so kick back and come on down!

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
I agree with that. Being my first time in Savannah I definitely want to take in some of the sites. Car shows and sitting around for two days checking out others vehicles can get old real fast and can be done anytime. Some sort of group "cruise" or gathering to check out all our SSRs would be great, but I hope there is some time for sightseeing too. I think there are a couple others from "down south" that feel the same.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
The only must-do thing that I would recommend is to take one of the guided tours (bus or horse-drawn carriages) that will hit ALL of the sites in about two hours and you have a better idea of where to go back to. Most of these tours have the get off/get on options so if you wanted to see a certain site a little closer right then, you can depart the bus and catch the next one every 20 minutes or so.

I will be arriving around 5:00 PM on Friday, so feel free to grab me for some guidance or more questions. I'm not an expert, but Pat (my wife) and I visit Savannah about twice a year and we still never get bored.

For you Food Network lovers, Paula Deem's now has TWO (2) resturants in Savannah.

For you history lovers, you've just arrived in MECCA! (Fort Pulaski, the Pirate House Resturant where they would get young men drunk until they passed out and then though an underground tunnel, would drag them onto a ship that was leaving for China to sell them as "working slaves"! I believe this is where the term "Shanghaied" started and much more!)

For you beach lovers, Tybee Island is like going back a fishing village in the 1950's

For you lover of adult beverages, there's a bar every 15 feet on River Street! (And they serve GREAT seafood!)

I just can't wait to help you get though this funfilled weekend! I'll be having breakfast at the hotel Saturday morning around 7:30, so look for this shiny head!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Sounds great :)

Wife and I are looking forward to relax a bit and get away from the kids :lol

So does that mean you are our personal tour guide? :D

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
ChrisXXL said:
Sounds great :)

So does that mean you are our personal tour guide? :D

Chris,

I just KNEW that I was going to step into something that I was going to be sorry for! :lol

I would be GLAD to help you out on any plans, but I may end up going to the beach until I'm medium rare!!!!! (Depends on the weather!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts