Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Bad is Good
355 Posts
All orders produced and shipped. Thanks all.

If anyone else needs/wants some custom vinyl lettering or graphics, let me know. I'll do my best to make it happen for you.
thanks Mark
received my decals
any secret advise on install
does the soapy water solution work with these new vinyls?
thanks
bennyb

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Benny,

installing small decals is like skinning a cat... there's more than on way to do it.

That said, the first rule is a super clean, oil and wax free surface. I always clean a surface to the best of my ability then use rubbing alcohol as a final cleaner.

You can use soapy water if you wish but I find it un-necessary on these little guys. If you do, be sure to completely remove the backing paper first. If the backing paper gets wet, it will stick to the vinyl and create a real mess.

I apply them dry. I measure twice and stick once. You can use a length of masking tape to establish a straight line for reference if needed. Carefully peel off the backing paper, apply the vinyl starting with pressure in the middle of the piece and work your way out to the edges, then remove the the top application tape. Reapply pressure to the vinyl piece.

For you, on the wheels, I'd remove the wheels and work from the back. Take your time.

I threw in a few spares for you in case one doesn't go right. Removal of the vinyl is easy when it's fresh. But once it's cures, it's a little more challenging. After you've done one or two you'll figure it out. By the time you finish, you'll be a pro at vinyl application!!

Hope that helps.

Mark.

·
Bad is Good
355 Posts
Benny,

installing small decals is like skinning a cat... there's more than on way to do it.

That said, the first rule is a super clean, oil and wax free surface. I always clean a surface to the best of my ability then use rubbing alcohol as a final cleaner.

You can use soapy water if you wish but I find it un-necessary on these little guys. If you do, be sure to completely remove the backing paper first. If the backing paper gets wet, it will stick to the vinyl and create a real mess.

I apply them dry. I measure twice and stick once. You can use a length of masking tape to establish a straight line for reference if needed. Carefully peel off the backing paper, apply the vinyl starting with pressure in the middle of the piece and work your way out to the edges, then remove the the top application tape. Reapply pressure to the vinyl piece.

For you, on the wheels, I'd remove the wheels and work from the back. Take your time.

I threw in a few spares for you in case one doesn't go right. Removal of the vinyl is easy when it's fresh. But once it's cures, it's a little more challenging. After you've done one or two you'll figure it out. By the time you finish, you'll be a pro at vinyl application!!

Hope that helps.

Mark.
Thanks Mark
Took your advice took my time with the first one and the rest were easy peasy

Attachments

·
Bad is Good
355 Posts
Process almost done
Need to rebalance wheels since i removed weights for vinyl

Attachments

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,641 Posts
I had a local company make this windshield Banner and they installed it. I didn't want to attempt that. It was last year before you started offering the vinyl. This might give someone more ideas. All the added color looks good

Attachments

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Benny... high five, dude!! Awesome job. You now be da pro at lettering wheels!

Augie, sweet windshield banner. That's definitely something I could make for any interested party. And, quite frankly, you could do the install. A little measuring and patience is all it takes.

·
Bad is Good
355 Posts
The inside of you rim looks great, is that the original finish or did something else get applied?
dan
thats the original satin finish.
if you look close on any satin rim the inner barrel looks a little different in certain light
but the over all look is outstanding in my opinion
worth the sore back
benny b

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Process almost done
Need to rebalance wheels since i removed weights for vinyl

Wish you would had sent me a PM....you can apply the SSR Logo's without removing the weights....when I applied the SSR logo's ..it was a winter project...I had 6 months to finish it..after getting my chrome rims back from the paint shop....:wink2:

vp

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wish you would had sent me a PM....you can apply the SSR Logo's without removing the weights....when I applied the SSR logo's ..it was a winter project...I had 6 months to finish it..after getting my chrome rims back from the paint shop....:wink2:

vp
Can you share what you had done to the inside of your Chrome Rims.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Had someone new to the forum try and send me a PM about logos. It didn't work. Sorry. How many posts are necessary before you can PM??

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,818 Posts
had someone new to the forum try and send me a pm about logos. It didn't work. Sorry. How many posts are necessary before you can pm??

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,162 Posts
The gold on my Chevy bowtie on the front grill has begun to peel off. I was wondering if you could cut the bowtie shape to cover it? I think a blue reflective color would look great on the chrome. Can the wizzr do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The gold on my Chevy bowtie on the front grill has begun to peel off. I was wondering if you could cut the bowtie shape to cover it? I think a blue reflective color would look great on the chrome. Can the wizzr do it?

Thanks!
Yes, the blue reflective would look nice all right.

But there are issues at play that make the application and installation almost impossible. The reflective material I use is a very heavy vinyl. It will not work to cover sharp edges.

The bow tie emblem is actually a 3 dimensional piece. It has depth to it. As such, if using the reflective vinyl, you could only cover the face of the emblem and not the sides. You'd have gold edges.

I had flaws in my front bow tie as well. I ended up taking it off and I used a vinyl wrap film to cover it. By heating up the wrap film, you can massage it around sharp edges (unlike the reflective vinyl). See the pic attached. I used white as it went with my color scheme I was after.

The other thing that comes into play is that not all bow ties are created equal. In other words they are not all dimensionally the same. Some are wider or taller or fatter in some areas than others. Sure, all front SSR bow ties are the same but they are slightly different than bow ties used elsewhere. To find the exact, precise shape and size for a specific bow tie requires tight measurements. I haven't done that for the front bow tie.

So, the bottom line the the question is, I would not suggest using the reflective vinyl on the front bow tie.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 74 Posts