Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ater the Eibach sway bar failed to fit the SSR, I continued to work with Shox.com to find an alternative. Eibach has since removed the sway bar kit from their catalog.

We went to ADDCO, a fairly reputable company that has built sway bars for a long time. The lead time was awful, as they had not actually produced a set of these yet and I'm sure they struggled to get one into their production cycle.

The results are good.

The front bar is the same diameter as the OEM unit, except that it is solid steel, rather than tubular with smooshed ends. I have no material specs on the steel, but it is nicely plated and goes in easier than the OEM comes out. RE-use the OEM mounts, they are better than the ADDCO ones. I'll be telling them about it on Tuesday. Use some low grade locktite on the threads of the tie link. There is not sufficient thead through the nut to meet "standards" and I suspect there was some from the factory on the threads to start with. Front bar went in in less than 20 minutes. Good to go.

The rear bar has a different shape than the stock unit, don't let it fool you. It fits great. Addco supplies hogged-out OEM rubber bushings that MUST be used, as the new bar is larger diameter than the OEM. The holes on the end for the link connection are a size too large. I'll be feeding this to ADDCO on Tuesday also. I made some tubular shims to take up the space and all fit nicely. Again, use a little locktite on the threads here too.

No road test feedback at this point, as I have not had it into my favorite corner yet.

Total cost for both bars was right at $300. If you are interested, contact Bob at shox.com 1-800-683-2890. He said he would give a break for SSR Fanatics.

Best Regards,

Mike

Attachments

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,781 Posts
Mike....Good complete report:thumbs

Looking forward to hearing how the handling changed when you complete the "favorite corner" run.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Thanks for the info Mike:thumbs

How is the fan project coming along?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hdflstf said:
The Hotchkis bars don't fit?
What are the problems? They fit on my '05.
It was the Eibach bar that didn't fit, specifically the front was at issue. The rear Eibach was OK. I never tried the Hotchkiss bars.

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KySSR said:
Thanks for the info Mike:thumbs

How is the fan project coming along?
I have 6 units on trucks in "Beta" testing right now. Looks promising and have only had to make a few minor changes to the instructions and some small hardware changes. I am ordering parts this week for the first 10 production kits.

Thanks for asking,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Out This Morning

to run an errand across Phoenix. 35 minute drive home topless.... 60+ degrees..... what a gorgeous day! It was awesome.

My freeway transition ramp that normally causes body roll and small pucker at 75 was flat and pucker-free at 85. Lots more side Gs with less body roll. Definitely $300 well spent.

All seat-of-the-pants data, nothing objective to measure with. It just feels right.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Mike - Do you know if they have a separate part number for the rear bar on the 6 Speed? I am preparing to purchase all the suspension parts for mine as soon as I get the other project done.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joe,

Neither Eibach nor ADDCO had any discernment for the 6-speed application. I suspect that Hotchkiss will be the same. Either they are not aware of the differences or both can use the same bar. The rear bar is identical to the Trailblazer in all aspects. This tells me that GM has one part that fits both applications. I don't think they would have created a unique bar for the 6-speed SSR only.

A check with the GM parts experts will reveal if the same OEM bar P/N is used on both the Auto and 6-speed. They may have changed the axle housing mount brackets to compensate for size of the pumpkin..... That would be about all I would expect from GM.

Later,

Mike

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,781 Posts
hhmmmmmm...

Mike.....Nothing about the sway bars on the Shox web site. Is the product too new to have it listed??

Does the solid bar make the difference from the hollow OEM bar, in the stiffer suspension?

P/P

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
How long did the total install take? Like it, adding it to the long list of add ons!!!!:) Do they have these in stock or are they making them when ordered? Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Swaybars.com

Addco has an web presence, though not uner their Addco name. Do you have the Addco part numbers? If so, you can order off that site as well. There are other Addco dealers as well.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
P/P - I never looked on their web site, I just dealt with Bob by telephone the whole way through. Yes, the solid bar is substantially stiffer than the hollow one, but only in roll stiffness.:thumbs Although the ride quality is unchanged in a straight line, someone looking for a technical agrgument would correctly claim that I have slightly changed the "unsprung weight" of the suspension..... IMHO, by a miniscule amount.

Wildcat66
- The total install time was about an hour. Jack up the front, put stands under it, remove RF wheel, disconnect two link attachments, drop 4 bolts, slide out OEM bar (hardest part). Slide in new bar (easier) and reverse process.

Put the front back on the ground and repeat process for rear axle. The actual replacement of hardware took less time than the jacking, standing and tire pulling.

These were made after ordering. That's why it took 5 weeks to get me hardware, but I am not complaining. I understood from the get-go that this would be the case. After 3 years of SSR production, this is the first set they have sold. I expect that the next time they get an order, they will build a set for stock too.

Donnysan - ADDCO P/N 2242 for the front, 2243 for the rear. I had originally wanted the eibach bars, and when that went south, Bob worked a deal with ADDCO for me. It would be interesting to see if the $300 was a good deal, now that I have hardware installed.:lol

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
[Donnysan - ADDCO P/N 2242 for the front, 2243 for the rear. I had originally wanted the eibach bars, and when that went south, Bob worked a deal with ADDCO for me. It would be interesting to see if the $300 was a good deal, now that I have hardware installed.:lol

Later,

Mike
Actually, $300 is a good deal for front and rear bars from Addco. I saw a recent "special price" on Addcos (not for the SSR, but very similar bars) for $160 each. I would be pleased with what you paid.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,781 Posts
I'm in....

I'm convinced , and I want a set. Maybe we can get a group(SSRFanatic) rate if at least 3 of us want them. Who else is in???

P/P

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to call Bob @ Shox.com tomorrow morning to report the findings on the install ofr him top feed back to ADDCO. I'm certain that the next set will have a long lead time associated like mine did. They really should reduce the diameter of the end holes on the rear bar before they ship again, unless they add a tubular shim to the kit.

Like most everything else about accessories for this truck, patience and persistence is the key.

Mike

1 - 20 of 63 Posts