Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very difficult seeing where you are turning in the pitch black where we live. Headlights do not have much spread.
I Added LED lamps on the lower front fascia powered by a simple time delay relay circuit triggered by the turn signals.
Relay and components were installed in front of the wheel liner on each side up high, turn signal trigger from the side marker light and 12V power from the Ign fuse in under hood fuse box using a add on fuse adapter.
Lights are very bright, 7/8" dia. and recessed flush into the fascia.
Will try them out tonight in the dark. Tested one in the driveway at night before permanent install and it really lit up good.
The only thing I could not do was pick up a 12V source off the lights so they would only work when the lights were on. Low beams are off when High beams are on so could not use either of those circuits and did not want to try to run a wire into the dash to get the power at the switch. Tried using the parking lamp power but that made the lights flash because they are also turn signals.
Came out good, very unnoticeable.
Sorry about the sideways pics of the wiring in the fender, they are correct on the computer but upload sideways?
I have included the circuit if anyone wants to duplicate.
Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,637 Posts
Pretty Nifty!!!

Nick

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,518 Posts
WOW, Greg . . .

Seems like only yesterday when Cadillac first introduced those things.

! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana !

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
The only thing I could not do was pick up a 12V source off the lights so they would only work when the lights were on. Low beams are off when High beams are on so could not use either of those circuits and did not want to try to run a wire into the dash to get the power at the switch. Tried using the parking lamp power but that made the lights flash because they are also turn signals.
Nice job! Solve the “on all the time” problem by wiring a photo-cell into your circuit. Could be on trigger side, power side, or either ground side.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice job! Solve the “on all the time” problem by wiring a photo-cell into your circuit. Could be on trigger side, power side, or either ground side.
Good thought. I'll have to wire in another relay on the common 12V+ with a photo cell.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Good thought. I'll have to wire in another relay on the common 12V+ with a photo cell.
:frown2:

Can I get a quick "tutorial" on just how this (photo cell) option you're discussing works. I'm not familiar with that and how it would be hooked up.:nerd:

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,286 Posts
Greg
Tap the rear taillight (running light) for power to pin 87 of relays. You can grab it several spots including trailer connector. That circuit is only powered when actual headlights are on (off when DRL's are on) regardless of high/low beam and no photo cell needed.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:frown2:

Can I get a quick "tutorial" on just how this (photo cell) option you're discussing works. I'm not familiar with that and how it would be hooked up.:nerd:
Can be done with a photo relay circuit that is adjustable or a cheap dusk to dawn photocell switch that you would see on out door Low Voltage lighting. Could hide the photocell in the grill.
I have a common 12V supply to the two relay circuits (R&L) that I could switch so the relays only get power when dark.
I'll look at some options.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,637 Posts
Could hide the photocell in the grill.
Hmmm, would on coming headlights affect it in the grill? Maybe below the Windshield in the cowel?
How are the cornering lights working for you?

Nick

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm, would on coming headlights affect it in the grill? Maybe below the Windshield in the cowel?
How are the cornering lights working for you?

Nick
I'll have to work out a good location if I do this.
They work great, used them last night coming back from the Club Cruise night.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Very nice looking job TB. Thanks also for the circuit info . Looks like another project for near future.. :yellow::liebe011::liebe011: Nice color on that SSR too..

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greg
Tap the rear taillight (running light) for power to pin 87 of relays. You can grab it several spots including trailer connector. That circuit is only powered when actual headlights are on (off when DRL's are on) regardless of high/low beam and no photo cell needed.
Is this different then the 12+ to the front running lights? I tried tapping that and the cornering lamp flashed with signals. I assumed the rear lamps did the same.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Why wouldn’t your side marker light circuit work for your relay trigger?

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
:|
I think you're on to something. If he hooks up the 12V "trigger" source to activate the relay, that is (all that is needed)........while the side markers may continue to blink, the relay has already "turned on" the cornering light he is trying to light up.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did use the side marker light for the trigger, very handy, its right next to where I mounted the relay circuit..
The issue is finding a +12V source that is only on when the lights are on. There is none under the hood that is reasonably accessible.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I did use the side marker light for the trigger, very handy, its right next to where I mounted the relay circuit..
The issue is finding a +12V source that is only on when the lights are on. There is none under the hood that is reasonably accessible.
Got it...
Don’t the front parking/turn signals use a two filament bulb? The parking lights should have 12v to them any time they or the headlights, dim or bright, are on. It’s been a while since I’ve had mine out, so I don’t remember if it’s a three-wire (turn/park/ground) set up. It appears from a function check, the parking light remains lit with the turn signal functioning.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,570 Posts
Got it...
Don’t the front parking/turn signals use a two filament bulb? The parking lights should have 12v to them any time they or the headlights, dim or bright, are on. It’s been a while since I’ve had mine out, so I don’t remember if it’s a three-wire (turn/park/ground) set up. It appears from a function check, the parking light remains lit with the turn signal functioning.
It is a three wire fixture because when I added LEDs under the grille bar I only wnated them on the turn signals and that is what I used.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it...
The front parking/Turn Lights have three wires Brown (12+), black (-), and DK BU or LT BU. The Blue wires are the L/R flasher circuit, Brown is 12+ but fed through the side markers. The side markers are two wires BR and BU and are steady running lights and turn signals. When the signal and lights are on, the brown wire at the front parking lamp gets a pulsed feedback from the side marker so that can not be used as a constant 12V+ lights on. I tested it and it made the cornering lamp flash with the signals. Look at the wiring for the front parking lamps in the manual you'll see what I mean.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts