Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi SSR Fanatics
Ireland SSR calling for help here!

We are planing a road trip from Anchorage across Canada to Toronto. Plan is to fly in from Ireland to Anchorage via Chicago and hire / rent car / SUV and cruise across to Toronto. Allowing a month to take in some sight seeing too. Possibility in May 2018

A. Looking on suggest on type of car / truck that's good for two adults
and
B. what the deal with rental companies going across borders . I know I recently got quoted here ( Europe) by Hertz to hire a car in Germany and drop to airport in Holland €1800 to get the car repatriated back to Germany. Ouch.
(Drove car back to Germany myself)

Any advice or tips appreciated.

Our last trip across the pond, we caught up with some SSR rally in Springfield 2016 for Route 66 mother road Festival. we had a Camero SS. That was a fun car !
Thanks
Richard

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip ... remember you all from 2016 when several of us met up in Springfield, Illinois, for the Route 66 Mother Road Festival. Bob & Jan Alexander - tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
16,299 Posts
I'm not too sure of which car rental companies are in Anchorage. Obviously, you want a company that also has a site in TO. In Canada we have the usual ones; Avis, Hertz, National, Budget...

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,886 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. We lived in Alaska for 30 years. Anchorage has an international airport and most car rental agencies. Where you need to check with them is:
1. The fact you will be from Ireland and all you credentials will be from there.
2. Alaska is the USA and you will have to be able to cross the border at Beaver Creek into Canada and will need permission in writing on the car to do that and your passport in order to leave the USA where you rented the car.
3. Then you need extra insurance on the car as Canada requires extra.
4. Then you will probably have to return the car to where you rented it when finished with it.
5. If they do allow you to turn it in , in Canada, there will be a very large drop off fee as it is another country.
6. You may have trouble also figuring out where you plan to fly out of when the trip is finished.

Just some things to consider. Maybe a travel agent can figure this all out for you. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Reactions: mikebike

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
It might be a simpler trip if you fly Anchorage to Vancouver BC and rent the car in Vancouver, mostly for the drop charge. Vancouver is a beautiful city to visit.

We had a Fanatic drive to Penticton a few years ago, and rented a car locally to go to Alaska and back. He didn't want to beat up his SSR on the road trip.

·
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
16,299 Posts
It might be a simpler trip if you fly Anchorage to Vancouver, and rent the car in Vancouver, mostly for the drop charge. Vancouver is a beautiful city to visit.
fabulous idea. note- Vancouver BC Canada , NOT Vancouver Washington USA! We'll see you when you get here :party

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Check with Auto Europe might have a plan available as well as insurance coverage. My German customers seem to use Avis as their primary car rental agency when renting in the US and booking from the EU.

Sounds like a fun trip. Hope you can post some photos while on your trip..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts