Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice from the fanatics.
If you had the choice between 2 cars which would you choose?
Similar color and equipment.
Same price
2004 with 30k mes or 2006 with 90k miles?
Pros and cons welcomed 馃槃
Thanks in advance.

Tech Support/Research
Condition and maintenance are more important considerations than mileage in my view. I would choose a well-maintained higher mileage vehicle over a poorly maintained low mileage one. That said, I would place addiditonal focus on the wear items expected to be seen on the higher mileage vehicle- cosmetics and trim, mechanical and safety items (brakes, shocks, windshield, rust, etc.). I have purchased higher mileage SSRs and passed on very low mileage ones using this criteria. I'm sure you're also aware of the difference in engines between the 03/04 and 05/06 and that is important to some shoppers- it may not be for you.

Registered
Condition and maintenance are more important considerations than mileage in my view. I would choose a well-maintained higher mileage vehicle over a poorly maintained low mileage one. That said, I would place addiditonal focus on the wear items expected to be seen on the higher mileage vehicle- cosmetics and trim, mechanical and safety items (brakes, shocks, windshield, rust, etc.). I have purchased higher mileage SSRs and passed on very low mileage ones using this criteria. I'm sure you're also aware of the difference in engines between the 03/04 and 05/06 and that is important to some shoppers- it may not be for you.
That is very well said. Condition is king on these trucks. If I found that both were well maintained I would pick the '04 with lower mileage. The differences between the early and later trucks is not significant for me.
PS. An 03 or 04 can be made to perform well for minimal cost.

Registered
The above advise is spot on and very good advice. Both year sets have a few pluses for them so that depends on your self and what you like more than anyone else can advise. The biggest being are you a horsepower junkie and need to have the bragging rights of more power from the bigger engine or are you more a cruiser and will get out and enjoy driving and saving money buying regular over premium will mean more than the bragging of more power?

After general maintenance such as oil changes, tires, batteries and air filters ask about antifreeze being changed this is a time based thing over miles so they should both have been flushed and filled at least once if not more.
Top maintenance, has the fluid been changed or how does it look? The assist struts for the top, have they been changed?
Passengers side power window has it been rebuilt? This can happen on low or high mileage trucks?
The 03/04 has fuel filter been changed?

Either one you can't go wrong with them if they have been taken care of. Plus if you like to tinker they can give you things to upgrade to make it your own with things you want to suite your self.

Most importantly after you get the one you want enjoy it how ever makes you feel good. Hope to meet you some time at an event or rally good luck

SSR Believer
All the above advice is excellent. (y) Here are a couple of more thoughts. You probably know most, but for anyone that follows as well.

If you鈥檙e buying from a private party (my general preference), ask if they can provide maintenance records.

Determine how many previous owners it鈥檚 had. A few or less is probably normal. I saw one the other day that had had seven previous owners. To me that spells trouble.

Low mileage is generally a good thing, but it doesn鈥榯 mean that there won鈥檛 be maintenance issues. Tires that are older than five to seven years should be replaced. Time can take its toll on a number of rubber and plastic items in the engine bay as well. Low miles can also be a sign that it sat for a long time waiting for major collision repairs.

Look inside the convertible top storage area for any signs of oil on the floor. That could mean an expensive hydraulics replacement. (Signs of oil or other leaks underneath can be problematic as well of course.)

Reach up underneath the dash on either side to feel for silt or other residue that may indicate a flooded vehicle.

Also, if it鈥檚 a private party, ask if they鈥檝e added any Simple Engineering parts. Not knowIng what Simple Engineering is isn鈥檛 a deal-breaker, but if they do, bonus points!

Lastly, buying from someone here on the forum is almost always a good idea. Most take exceptional care of their SSRs and although you may pay a little premium and/or have to travel a little or a long way to see it, it鈥檚 almost certainly worth it. That鈥檚 what we did and we couldn鈥檛 be happier.

The 03/04 vs 05/06 thing is personal I guess. Drive 鈥榚m both and pick the one you like best. ;)

Hope that helps and happy hunting!

Slingshot Rules!

OK, here's my donation to the pot . . .

Considering the "Long Term Brutal Grief" from too much water . . . where did the SSR grow up? Check CarFax or similar to determine if it could have been in a Storm / Flood Area during one of those big storms over the last decade or so.

That type of damage is tough to spot, however, it can drive you nuts down the road.

GOOD LUCK

! :cool: ! :mad: ! :cool: ! :mad: ! :cool: !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts