Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on installing a two tone steering wheel and would like to know if anyone can suggest how to disengage the air bag. Hate to have it deploy.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Premium Member
31,424 Posts
Disconnect the battery. The bag needs electricity to deploy. The contacts for the bag module should be just like the horn button (spring-loaded contact plate).

If you need more specifics, I or someone else can go fetch the service manual.

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Air Bag

Disconnect battery and wait 15 minutes before trying to remove air bag. Air bag holds a charge for a short period of time after it loses power.:thumbs

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
The 15 min. battery disconnect is very important !!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
you don't have to disconnect the battery, just disconnect the yellow connector at the base of the steering column.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Has anyone removed the buttons on the wheel. Thought I would ask how before I start prying.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
REBEL said:
Has anyone removed the buttons on the wheel. Thought I would ask how before I start prying.
you have to removr the streeing wheel and then remove the cover on the back side of the steering wheel after that you loosen the harness and then you can push the switch out.I had to replace the left one for the paint peeling, it took me about 30mins.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

THANK YOU ... WINGRIDER we need to put you on a Retainer, for all your “no bull” help.
This spare wheel I have has paint peel also, on left spoke. Going to try a mother of pearl effect on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts