Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is British Columbia ICBC Insurance but really should be recognized everywhere

I think the SSR, depending on year etc should be considered for Collector Insurance

The 03/04 fall within some parameters

I think all Signatures should achieve collector status right now, so if any own a Signature it should qualify
2003's should find a loophole where they are 15 yrs old in a discontinued build

I am trying to get the FPR's included, being a limited run - not sure on the success of that yet
I will let you know how I progress

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
To clarify, for the benefit of SSR Fanatics not located in B.C. Canada, ICBC states that for Collector Insurance status

​Age
​To qualify, your vehicle must be*one of the following:

* 25 years or older

* A limited production vehicle​​​:
15 years or older, and 1 of no more than 1,500 of that make and model (not edition) produced worldwide by the manufacturer for that model year.

* A discontinued vehicle​:
15 years or older, and*A manufacturer that owns the "trademark" or "make" of that vehicle has ceased manufacturing vehicles of any kind for at least the last five years.​

Seems like there may be a 'thin edge of the wedge' possible for some SSR owners in B.C. ...

Ken, Vancouver Island

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Thanks for the information - I currently have Haggerty but it is not collector status insurance

I have sent your information to my agent to see what they say - I'll post it when they respond

·
Super Moderator
13,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I will probably do something on the Deceased Thread as I will be posting this on but a 2005 Slingshot with 17k with wrecked grill, a lot of damage to the front of the hood, and LF fender

Erie Insuranse says $27k to repair - ACV Value $26500

This is insane - I think the hood and fender can be repaired, the grille is probably lost, but $27K?
It only has 17k miles on it!

This is why we are losing so many SSR's - they can't or don't want to find parts.
This SSR with only 17k could find the bone yard

Part of the problem I see is with us as well (NAmer/Can)
We have such a bad conception of a vehicle with a bad car fax, or a Salvage Title
There are a bunch in the Middle East/Europe that don't give a rat's ass

Fix it, drive it down the road, win a best of, you are the only guy that knows
Of course, some idiot will kick you in the shins when you sell, but damn heck, buy it - fix it - enjoy it
This does not look like $27k damage

%B1.jpg Odometer.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
When they want to total it, take the money and ask for the car, the example you showed could be fix with junkyard or parts from Eric at MPD.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,048 Posts
When they want to total it, take the money and ask for the car, the example you showed could be fix with junkyard or parts from Eric at MPD.
Several folks on the site like to change the front end look anyway. This would be the perfect time to do it.
Different headlights, grill, etc.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,793 Posts
I never really thought about the ability of keeping/buying back your totaled vehicle. Do most insurance companies allow you to do this?

Dave

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,377 Posts
I never really thought about the ability of keeping/buying back your totaled vehicle. Do most insurance companies allow you to do this?

Dave
In the '70's, and '80's, in Texas, I bought them back and kept the title, which didn't show salvage, and kept it insured with the same company!!! They just deducted the salvage value from the settlement, and kept on trucking. Don't know if that is possible these days----and don't want to try it!

Nick

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Both my SSRs my 03 and 06 are insured as classics through American Modern Insurance valued at 40,000.00 0 deductible with all high limits and not exspensive. They accepted the limited production and approved them.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Both my SSRs my 03 and 06 are insured as classics through American Modern Insurance valued at 40,000.00 0 deductible with all high limits and not exspensive. They accepted the limited production and approved them.

I have them for the 48.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Some insurance companies will let you buy the car back, Had a 67 SS 396 4sp Chevelle that went in for a set of tires, they took her out for a spin and wrapped her around a pole.

They paid me what the car was worth and I bought the Chevelle back for a couple hundred, put the rear end, trans, and motor into a 68 Camaro roller that I had been wanting to build. So moral of the story is ASK at worst all they can do is say no.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You guys out there with the classic insurance on your R's what are the restrictions on driving them. Only to and from car shows, limited mileage, etc. would be interested in seeing this and what kind of rates are you paying for this coverage.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
I haven't heard of any company who will insure for agreed value if it's not locked up at night.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I heard back from my insurance company - this is what they said:
You are on a collector type policy – there is no difference in the rate whether it’s a historic or classic vehicle or signature series, etc. I spoke w/Hagerty directly and they said it is being rated properly.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,048 Posts
Just got back from my GO TO for over 20 years insurance guy at American Family. I have what they call a true value and or replacement value policy. Couple things he pointed out. I cannot get antique policy because it needs to be 20 years or older in our state. He can get me a collector/specialty policy such as Hagerty but says very restrictive, as to use, and storage, miles driven, etc. He has several specialty vehicles and says keep what I have. Then he shed some light on things. He said if I have a complete loss he is in my corner and will make sure I get every penny I want and need. He also has heard the companies are totaling the SSR's at the drop of a hat because of the cost to repair and un-availabiliy of parts. It is just easier to total it pay you off or replace it. Here is a problem he pointed out also. Most likely if you suffer a total loss it is most likely at the hand of another driver or person and their insurance is who you will be dealing with and they will lowball you. Doesn't matter what company you have they have to settle with you and pay you. He said that is when he will jump in and take over the settlement and go after them. Anyway it is something to think about. I feel very comfortable with what I have. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts