Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
SSR Believer
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With OEM wheel caps becoming more and more expensive to replace (AKA: hen’s teeth) I’m thinking about saving ours for car shows and running some after market caps. If one’s lost on a trip or whatever I wouldn’t feel too badly. Found this set on eBay:

Might add some nice “stick on” bow ties or maybe old school “Chevrolet” lettering to make them look decent.

Thoughts? Anything I should look out for or avoid?

TIA!

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
40,000 Posts
:) I would hate to lose my OEM chrome center caps, but I also I'm not saving them for the next person so I'm going to run them.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I bought a set of center caps from the same dealer referenced above. That was about three years ago, one arrived with a broken tab and the dealer replaced it with no hassle. The caps have held up well and except for the missing bow tie look identical to the originals.
I am saving the originals for a rainy day. To each their own, but it makes no sense to me to expose a much more valuable original item to potential loss, unless necessary.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,149 Posts
I've owned the aftermarket chrome caps for years and never had an issue with them. They are a great alternative to the OEM. Fit well, chrome held up, etc...

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc
====================
This is the same experience that I've had as well. Makes no sense to put OE (expensive) parts in jeopardy when good 'cheap' substitutes are available.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
I have 2 sets of not for sale OEM hubcaps under the bed. I am running the slicks with red CHEVROLET vinyl lettering on them
DSCN1522.JPG
DSCN1525[1].JPG
to match the red caliper covers and lettering in the hood emblem. I prefer them to the OEM because the look more like the '48, '49 etc hub capsl.
Cheaper too.
Jack

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I have OEM caps in chrome and satin.

I have painted a set of satin black to match my black wheels. The chromes I don't run.

I have the aftermarket chrome and added Chevrolet to them in red. I like the look and I probably have $15 each in them. They look like they are 50's OEM. I have Dremiled them a little but they fit fine now.

Dave

·
SSR Believer
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! I love that I can post something before I go to bed and that by the time I get up I'm blessed with more info than I could ever hope for! All great information and feedback. Thanks guys!

Our R isn't concours-ready, never will be but it is a bit of a garage queen (sometimes to the chagrin of the wife ;)) and I like keeping it OEM as much as possible... even if I do stick bling on things here and there. :p The previous owner boxed up and kept all of the OEM parts he replaced with different or aftermarket pieces (anyone need a set of original rear springs?). So I'm trying to carry on the tradition.

So for my own piece of mind aftermarket caps it is, although I haven't found them for 10 bucks each yet. I really like all of the creative examples of what to do about the blank space in the middle. I'll have to give that some more thought.

Thanks so much again for the valuable input! 🙏 Can't tell everyone here how much I appreciate it. Hopefully I can give back just a little as time goes on.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I also got inexpensive aftermarket caps and put my originals in storage. The aftermarket ones look almost as good. I had a Ford Edge with chrome wheels that looked like they had pop off centers but were actually two piece wheels. While parked in Roanoke, someone tried to pry all four off doing major damage. I have been paranoid about wheels ever since.

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
453 Posts
Installed after market chrome center caps 3/4 years ago never had a problem....still have O.E.M. caps View attachment 573737
Only an SSR Fanatic fanatic would notice the differences; normal people wouldn't have any idea. So have it your way.

Differences like where's the valve stem on @voodoophantom 's wheel above and the notch on the cap for removing it? (Now that's over the top in detail! Gads.) :rolleyes: :unsure: :giggle:

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I‘ve had the aftermarket center caps for a couple of years. They are chrome with the gold Chevrolet emblem on them. They are satisfactory when I look at the alternatives. One of my OEM ones had broken tabs that I was unable to repair. I was able to obtain an OEM one on this site so I have a good set. Like many on here once you have a cap go bad you are afraid of running with the OEMs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts