Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|

As I continue to seek more info regarding my recent rear end gear swap and noise and whine, I have spent lots of time reviewing prior posts on the subject which does indeed seem to bring the stock drive shaft into question.

Back in 2006, JimG.......wrote an extensive and detailed post about finally getting his noisy driveshaft problems pretty much resolved.

He ended up using a MMC drive shaft and after having gone through all of that posting as well as other related post, I could not pin down exactly how/where he sourced that new style drive shaft.

I would like to know more about them. Where are they available, do they make a similar one to fit the six speed rear end and how much are they???

Anybody know.:nerd:

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts

As I continue to seek more info regarding my recent rear end gear swap and noise and whine, I have spent lots of time reviewing prior posts on the subject which does indeed seem to bring the stock drive shaft into question.

Back in 2006, JimG.......wrote an extensive and detailed post about finally getting his noisy driveshaft problems pretty much resolved.

He ended up using a MMC drive shaft and after having gone through all of that posting as well as other related post, I could not pin down exactly how/where he sourced that new style drive shaft.

I would like to know more about them. Where are they available, do they make a similar one to fit the six speed rear end and how much are they???

Anybody know.:nerd:
I think the problem Jim was referring to was the dreaded "tink" sound when an automatic was put into reverse. It didn't bother me at the time with my original 03, so never followed up on it.

I can see an advantage to an aftermarket carbon fiber shaft if the original was solid iron, but I was shocked at how little the stock driveshaft on my 6 speed weighs when I removed it so I could get the tranny out. I can't imagine a significant gain from replacing the stock driveshaft on a 6 speed, unless you're planning on a monstrous power increase. I'm not aware of ever seeing a post about twisting a driveshaft, even from the die hard drag racers.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Flassh, ya gotta peruse that prior post (line by line)...........I've always thought I was "wordy" and took too many details to describe my situation. This guy.....JimG as i recall..........He is the master at going into extreme detail as to the topic at hand.

He did, you did, and I do recognize the light weight of the stock aluminum drive shaft. But if you really examine his whole (line by line) details, he points out problems with that "stock" drive shaft.

I'm not planning on any real and/or significant power boosts, my focus on what he described has to do totally with the (vibes/resonance/whine) factors that the stock shaft has.

My stock setup had no noise at all, now it is there significantly at most any cruising speed. I recognize it has been brought about by my new (lower) 456 gear set. But, I'm believing that much of that increased "noise" just may be cancelled out by one of these MMC shafts.:nerd:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts