Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooling system.
A couple of days ago, I got an engine overheating while standing in a traffic jam, I expected this situation and I had a supply of distilled water with me.
My car is equipped with a custom cooling fan control system. It looks like it was installed when the car was in America. A separate fan control unit which is connected through 2 standard relays, but at the same time has contacts going to the generator and the mass air flow sensor. All wires are routed through regular places. But apparently, after the car was repaired by the masters in Cambodia, the system stopped working correctly (
They set an additional fan speed control from tayota (yes they love them in Cambodia)).

Where is the engine temperature sensor installed on our car?
I found one sensor on the left side on the engine closer to the fan.

Also, where is the power distribution module located, in the electrical circuit it controls power relays?

Power windows and door locks.
The windows on both doors do not work. Passenger door lock works from a button in the cabin. The signal from the driver’s door lock is redirected to the driver’s mirror, that is, when the lock is closed and opened, the mirror is triggered. The wiring in the door and the connectors are ok, all wires are the same color. The mirrors are not controlled in the correct order, part of the functions do not work, part of the confused left and right mirrors. If I correctly understand the logic of the system, the BCM unit is responsible for these functions. Keyless access also does not work.

Body control unit
I have two units, the previous owner of the tale that changed one, because there were problems with the electric. But I'm not sure that both units are from this car. Also, there is no certainty that they were transcoded to work on this car.
An unknown driver lights up with the first unit on the dashboard, the exterior lighting does not work except for the dipped beam, brake lights and turn signals. Door lock.

The second identifies one or two as the driver.
Door lock does not work correctly.
External mirrors do not work correctly.

Correctly, I understand that this block needs an encoding, so that it correctly understands which machine it is installed in?
The site gmpartsonline.net indicates that it is used on 34 car models, and therefore they have a different number of doors and windows.
How to do the encoding myself, I have a Launch x431 device.

Is the Body control unit connected to the door roof module?

Dashboard and ignition switch
I ordered a set of stepper motors for replacement in the dashboard. The dashboard illumination does not work for me, it is very difficult at night.
After turning the key in the ignition switch in the off position, the ignition is switched on again for several seconds and the car continues to work. As far as I understand, you need to watch the ignition lock module.

Brake System (ABS) and Airbags
ABS does not work, TRC works. I know that there are problems with overheating of the ABS unit. But I have an error on the ABS sensor.

A reminder appears on the instrument panel service airbag maintenance. The car was not in an accident, the body and frame without damage.

I plan to replace all fluids in the car, engine oils, transmissions, gearbox, coolant and brake fluid. What else needs to be done on a 75,500 mile run?

Someone will say that this is a problem car, the previous owner sold it to me for $ 8,500, initially asked for 16,000.
I didn’t understand American cars, but of course I know about muscle cars, the history of Chevrolet and Ford. I could not understand why V8 is so loved, now I know)

I always go up to the car with a smile and wait for the moment when I get behind the wheel, start the engine, hear the sound of the exhaust system and hit the road.

I am an engineer and programmer, I designed and built catamarans and trimarans. I built a light aircraft myself.
I think I can give a second life to the car and I will continue to enjoy it.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,497 Posts
Denis,

Here is the response to your post about the cooling system in the other thread.

In the normal system, the cooling fan is controlled by the engine computer. There are two software paths in the computer that will turn on the fan. One is responding to cooling system temperature and the other responds to air conditioning system pressure.

There is only one sensor for coolant temperature in the entire truck. It is located near the #1 cylinder spark plug on the side of the cylinder head. It feeds directly to the computer. The instrument panel also gets its signal from this sensor. If the instrument panel gauge is working, the sensor is operating properly. That sensor and the computer have very high reliability.

The sensor for Air Conditioning pressure is located on the line above the A/C compressor. It also feeds directly to the engine computer. The fan is automatically switched on when the A/C pressure reaches “normal” operating pressure. That switch also has very high reliability.

There is no separate power module for the cooling fan. The normal relays (one for low speed and a second for high speed) are located on the inner fender, forward of the windshield washer bottle. The black relay is for low speed and the grey relay is for high speed. Both relays get their power directly from the fuse box in the engine compartment. The 60 amp fuse is located on the forward, inboard corner of the fuse box. There is normally a single wire from the smaller terminal on the corner sending power to the two relays.

There is normally a 3 wire cable and connector that plugs into the fan. That cable has a grey wire for high speed, a light blue wire for low speed and a black wire for ground. From one of your photos, it appears that the connector has been cut off and the wiring attached to fan wires directly. We should investigate that further.

There should be no cooling system connection to the Mass Air Flow sensor. The only thing I can think is that this connection may be for some sort of performance adder. The small box you are showing in the interior of the truck is not related to cooling. It may be for an alarm of some sort or a performance adder. I don’t recognize it.

The Toyota fan control you have shown in a photo does not appear to be wired to anything I recognize. This also needs to be investigated further.

Sorry I can’t be more direct about your SSR......... its very hard to see what modifications have been done with just photos. Please have a look at the cable with the light blue, grey and black wires. See if you can find where they each go.....

Regards,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,497 Posts
I am assuming that you have a computer with a USB port. If that is true, I can send you a memory stick with a huge amount of information. It contains the entire service manual and a lot of additional information. If true, please contact me via email at [email protected] and I will send it to you.

This will help identify each of the problem areas you have identified. This is not going to be a simple or quick fix...... you have a real basket of electrical issues.... Having the schematics and the operational data will help immensely.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Mike is 100% on track with the cooling fans and you need to start with one problem at a time
I will add the the module that displays unknown driver is not communicating with the system properly and is probably not programmed.
The module that display driver number 1 or 2 from first look seems to functioning somewhat.
You will be best off to wait for the memory stick from Mike

I finally found the photos in another thread -- when I was searching to determine what year your SSR was.

I did a google search on the the Toyota cooling fan computer.
its fits a few models - most popular was 04-05 Sienna mini van.
I attached the wiring diagram as number #1.
I don't know how they ever got this to work even remotely correct. They may have made it on or off only?????????????
The mini van uses a 0-5 volts pulse width modulated signal from the engine ECU to vary cooling fan operation - this might be what they had connected to mass airflow sensor????
I could not find the specs on the signal wire to determine different fan speeds to even try and trick the Toyota cooling fan module, plus they used two separate fans but I could not find description. One only for engine and one for AC or a combination of the two, at different speeds by pulse width control of power output as it is done on other models? My better service information system is currently down.

My recommendation would be to try and wire back to original and and then troubleshoot any improper operation
Basic wiring diagram for 04 cooling fan attached (picture 2) - my service information system that provides factory diagrams is down right know - but again they will be on the memory stick from Mike.

Do you have access to any type of scan tool?

toyota cooling fan.png
04 SSR cooling fan.png

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am assuming that you have a computer with a USB port. If that is true, I can send you a memory stick with a huge amount of information. It contains the entire service manual and a lot of additional information. If true, please contact me via email at [email protected] and I will send it to you.

This will help identify each of the problem areas you have identified. This is not going to be a simple or quick fix...... you have a real basket of electrical issues.... Having the schematics and the operational data will help immensely.

Regards,

Mike
Thanks Mike.
I sent a request to your mail.
I want to restore the system to the factory state.
If in the future I will modify something, then I will have an understanding of what I am doing and how it should work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts