Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Automatic Transmission Shift Knob Conversion

PLEASE NOTE - While I can still supply this style adapter, as shown below, I have revised my offerings, the latest style is shown at the link located here - NEW shift adapter design

Want a custom shift ball but think you can't due to owning an automatic? I've designed a new automatic shift handle interface that will allow the use of any T handle, ball or other custom top mount shift knob with 3/8 - 16 thread ( or other close sizes) on automatics. Parts are built mostly from 6061 aircraft grade aluminum, available in polished or satin finish. Takes about 10 minutes to install. Design keeps the safety lockout/brake mechanism, just push down on the top to shift gears.

I offer two top styles, one "flat" for the T handle and one "tapered inward" to fit snugly around the base of the ball style shifter. See images below for examples of parts and finished installations. I also do custom builds, taller or shorter shafts, etc... The main design idea was to keep the OEM look but custom projects can be discussed.

To install the adapter:
1. Loosen the single torx bit located on the front of the OEM shifter just below the ball.
2. Slide the old handle off.
3. I ship all adapters with a new white center pin that reduces twisting, simply grasp the orange pin with pliers and pull straight up to remove.
4. Adapters come fully assembled, align the pin so that the opening faces the vehicle doors and slide down. Press lightly to lock in place. You can turn the adapter lightly before pressing down to feel for the indention to insure you have it positioned properly.
5. Install the custom handle of your choice but be careful not to twist the adapter while tightening the handle.
6. If you have a flat top adapter please insure you use a locking nut on the bottom of the handle to keep it in place, do not tighten anything down on the top of the adapter top.
7. If you are using the contoured top, secure your handle then loosen the set screw on the outer adapter cover and slide up to fit against the ball snugly.

I am building these with simple hand tools in the garage so it may take a week or two to get one to your door. If you are interested please contact me for payment information and let me know:

1. What thread size and pitch you want (default is 3/8 16)
2. Satin or Polished
3. With flat top or tapered outer tube
4. If you want new plastic center pin to reduce twist

Due to suppliers, prices fluctuate a little, please contact me for current cost and I will build a custom one for you.

If you would like to get a good sized chrome shift ball as shown below, the best price I have found to date is from here for $25: Chrome shift ball handle

I am building these with simple hand tools in the garage so it may take a week or two to get one to your door. If you are interested please contact me for payment information and let me know:

1. Satin or Polished
2. With flat top or tapered outer tube (examples shown in 5th image below)

If you would like to get a good sized chrome shift ball as shown below, the best price I have found to date is from here for $25: Wirth's Custom Automotive: 2 1/8" Diameter Chrome Shift Ball

Here is another thread that shows pictures of the two shifter designs and a collage of what people have done with their SSR's with this mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
i was thinking about making something similat as well. i always thought a short t-handle was a sleeker design for this interior. what are you thinking cost wise? im in.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i was thinking about making something similat as well. i always thought a short t-handle was a sleeker design for this interior. what are you thinking cost wise? im in.
I'm thinking $40 for satin and $50 polished.

very very nice
Thanks

:cool:cool:shades: TO DAM SHINNY :cool;)
Well, you know me :glol An alternative would be to use a satin finish adapter with a satin HURST shifter handle. I have seen those handles go for about $10. Actually I initially thought about using that handle but just didn't fit right in my hand.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I have a old Hurst T-handle from my 67 Chevelle SS that I always wanted to put on. Put me on your list and of course satin finish (wouldn't want something "TO DAM SHINNY" now would we):glol

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a old Hurst T-handle from my 67 Chevelle SS that I always wanted to put on. Put me on your list and of course satin finish (wouldn't want something "TO DAM SHINNY" now would we):glol
I really don't have a "list". I am taking payment and building as they come in. Let me know what thread you want, send payment, and I will build you one. For some reason the main pictures for the part did not show up, I will update the original post. Yeah, shiny isn't for everyone so satin it is :)

Thanks

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
stopped by to see Mike today and let me tell you, this shifter adapter is cool! Easy to install and allows you to use virtually any shifter knob or handle. Mike really does some nice work, hope to have mine in a couple of weeks, now I have to decide Hurst T handle or pistol grip....

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Using Mike's shifter adapter, I've installed my Hurst Pistol grip.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have designed and built a new automatic shift handle interface that will allow the use of any T handle, ball or other custom top mount shift knob. Parts are built mostly from 6061 aircraft grade aluminum, available in polished or satin finish. Takes about 10 minutes to install. Design keeps the safety lockout/brake mechanism, and keep undo stress from affecting the center actuator pin. Just push down on the top to shift gears.

I am using a 3/8 thread 16 pitch thread for the shift handle due to the vast assortment of handles threaded for that particular thread but I can build with whatever size thread you want. I am using a B&M Hammer handle but handles are not included

I am building these with hand tools in the garage so it may take a week or two to get one to your door. If you are interested please contact me for payment information and let me know:

1. What thread size and pitch you want (default is 3/8 16)
2. Polished or Satin

Cost is $40 for satin finish and $50 for polished plus shipping.
Hi would like to order one satin shift the ( 3/8 Thread - 16 Pitch) pleacse send how to pay

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How hard is it to install???
One set screw (actually torx bit) takes out the OEM handle and 2 setscrews install the new handle. There is an optional pin that is included that you use to keep the handle from twisting too much but it is not required as none of the other aftermarket interfaces from other manufacturers includes one, just something I thought helped.

Probably a total of 15 minutes.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts