Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While working with a tech to install a MagnaCharger on my 04, we discussed the heating issue.. He suggested we install a 160 degree thermostat and a more efficient aftermarket fan setup.

Picked up the car (truck, streetrod, supersexy roadster, et al) Monday and drove to Napa, Calif., which is about 75 miles from Sacramento. Weather was not bad, around 90 in Sacramento and cooler in Napa. At freeway speeds of 70-80 mph, temperature never got over what I would consider 180 degree's. In traffic, in Napa, I noticed that the temperature got up to about 200 degree's and the low speed fan came on. He has the low speed fan coming on at 193 degree's. I am not certain where he set up the high speed to come on. But the bottom line is that I have not seen 210 degree's on the gauge since installing the new fans! I do need to find out where he set the fan temperatures and will do so on Monday/Tuesday as we set the shift points too close to the rev limiter and I am certain you all know what that means.... Kind of an embarrassing sound when you hit the rev limiter with a supercharger pulling amost 350 hp!

The fan setup he used is a "Spal" dual 11" Fan w/shroud. He used a "Be Cool" Hanger kit - "Be Cool" Cross Support Brackets and two "Spal" Weather Proof Relay Kits.

I do notice the low speed fan is a tad noisier than that OEM fan and that probably only pertains to the low speed fan as it has not gotten hot enough yet to activate the high speed. My tech told me that while dynoing and tuning (sitting motionless) in his shop it was around 85-88 degree's ambient and the high speed fan never did come on!!!

Right now with running 4:56 gears (Thanks Jim G.), and the Magnacharger, DynaTech Headers with dual cats, the Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer indicates that rear wheel horsepower is 349.6 at just a shade over 5600 rpm. Best torque reading was pretty flat between 3500 and 4500 rpm, with max at 4,000. That compares to about 237 hp stock with the 4:56 gears and OEM exhaust.

I have not had the time to do any time/speed checking yet I can tell you that this baby flat hauls a$$ now. The sound that MagnaCharger makes when you get on it almost sends chills down your back. I am really interested to see what 0-60 speed runs will produce! My gut would be low to mid 5's!

After feeling the torque my next stop will be a good transmission shop and perhaps even a new muffler or two....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds Like my Car

Rainwater, I know how you feel, your mods are virtually the same as mine. The 4.56 gear made a huge difference in the feel of our toys (Thanks from me also Jim). I put in a ring and pinion from US Gear and it is noisy as hell at 50 mph. I just ordered a whole new 12 bolt rear with Eaton posi differential from Drive Train Services. I just installed a new PCM from Westers Garage and am having a few challenges with it right now, it should be sorted out by next week and I will let you know about it then. Take a look at the chambered exhaust from "All Stainless Works" if you are thinking about an exhaust. Their tail pipes don't fit worth a damn, but the sound is killer. Enjoy the supercharger!!

Bill Brooks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bass656 said:
Rainwater, I know how you feel, your mods are virtually the same as mine. The 4.56 gear made a huge difference in the feel of our toys (Thanks from me also Jim). I put in a ring and pinion from US Gear and it is noisy as hell at 50 mph. I just ordered a whole new 12 bolt rear with Eaton posi differential from Drive Train Services. I just installed a new PCM from Westers Garage and am having a few challenges with it right now, it should be sorted out by next week and I will let you know about it then. Take a look at the chambered exhaust from "All Stainless Works" if you are thinking about an exhaust. Their tail pipes don't fit worth a damn, but the sound is killer. Enjoy the supercharger!!

Bill Brooks
Bill:

I too used US Gear and I too, have a terrible whine at between 45-50 mph!!! I tried to get the mechanic to use closer tolerances but he assured me the .008 lash would be adequate to eliminate future wear problems and noise... Bull crap!!! I am going to take it back and see if he won't perhaps reduce the lash a bit more to solve that problem.

I will check out the Stainless Works exhaust. Thanks for the tip. (No pun intended) Why did you choose to replace your PCM? I had my tech just remodel the torque contols but not totally. I am very satisfied with the performance acheived at this point.

Have you done any timed runs to see how well your ride does 0-60?

Right now I just love the changes made.

·
Registered
127 Posts
FANATICS: I installed the USGEAR 4:56 myself and set the backlash at .005. There was a whine for a while but it is gone as of today. I should say that I just got home late yesterday after spending the last 7 months working various projects, and I picked my SSR up at the speed shop today where they installed the supercharger, dyno tuned, and installed a 160 Tstat. The dyno run showed max torque @ 391.6 and max HP @374.8. The SSR also has Dynatech headers, Flowmaster Catback, and K&N Aircharger. The dyno sheet also shows a straight line for the air/fuel ratio to 6000RPM. I will send a hard copy of the dyno sheet to Jim G. for his "think tank".

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary's 04 said:
FANATICS: I installed the USGEAR 4:56 myself and set the backlash at .005. There was a whine for a while but it is gone as of today. I should say that I just got home late yesterday after spending the last 7 months working various projects, and I picked my SSR up at the speed shop today where they installed the supercharger, dyno tuned, and installed a 160 Tstat. The dyno run showed max torque @ 391.6 and max HP @374.8. The SSR also has Dynatech headers, Flowmaster Catback, and K&N Aircharger. The dyno sheet also shows a straight line for the air/fuel ratio to 6000RPM. I will send a hard copy of the dyno sheet to Jim G. for his "think tank".
I tried to get them to set my US Gear % .004-.005 but they wouldn't hear of it. Mine now sounds terrible at 50 mph... Reminds me of a 52 Dodge Pickup I once had!!!! I am taking it back!!!

Can't understand how you managed to eeeeak out 42 more horsepower than I did....... In reading your post it would appear we both have about the same mod's... Could have something to do with the PCM Torque Management.... I had them stay somewhat conservative cuz I didn't want to trash my transmission too soon!!!

Fuel air on mine ran 11.9 from 2600 right through 5700 with only a tenth variation...

Hey, if you are sending a copy via email to Jim G., would you send one to me also... I would like to see what Dyno they used and the entire results.

So, would your advice be to set the backlash on the US Gears to .005? I sure would like to lose that whine!

Gracias

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gary's 04 said:

Oh yeah, one more thing. Did you notice any real difference with the K&N filter setup?

Steve

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Keeping it cool at what cost

Was talking to a friend that does custom vehicle's 40's on up(top to bottom) and told him the trouble some are having with the OEM fans, programing on off temps and wanting to run cooler. He pointed out that GM might have us running warmer so are SSR's will pass smog. Any one with mod changes on cooling system and running cooler I would be interested to know if your SSR can pass smog or are we just going to have to run hot with OEM fans and GM's program??? :(

·
Registered
124 Posts
Rainwater You say you have a set of Dynatec headers. How do you plan to get them passed at smog time. I also went with the 4:56 gears but went with the Yukon and I have no noticable noise. You gotta love the acceleration.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rainwater said:
I tried to get them to set my US Gear % .004-.005 but they wouldn't hear of it. Mine now sounds terrible at 50 mph... Reminds me of a 52 Dodge Pickup I once had!!!! I am taking it back!!!

Can't understand how you managed to eeeeak out 42 more horsepower than I did....... In reading your post it would appear we both have about the same mod's... Could have something to do with the PCM Torque Management.... I had them stay somewhat conservative cuz I didn't want to trash my transmission too soon!!!

Fuel air on mine ran 11.9 from 2600 right through 5700 with only a tenth variation...

Hey, if you are sending a copy via email to Jim G., would you send one to me also... I would like to see what Dyno they used and the entire results.

So, would your advice be to set the backlash on the US Gears to .005? I sure would like to lose that whine!

Gracias
Rainwater: PM with your address and I will send you a copy of the dyno. Yes, the torque management was "modified" . The K&N Aircharger did improve the overall performance,IMOP. The water temperature was at 190 at its worst (in slow traffic and waiting at construction zones) So far I like it, but I will be looking at a modified tranny to get rid of the torque management altogether. Right now, I feel I won't require a different converter for the tranny. STAY TUNED!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Russr04 said:
Rainwater You say you have a set of Dynatec headers. How do you plan to get them passed at smog time. I also went with the 4:56 gears but went with the Yukon and I have no noticable noise. You gotta love the acceleration.
Russ: Don't really know how this will pass smog.... It is purely a visual to the inspector. In other words, if he see's it and knows what it is he could fail it. I have kept my stock manifolds and other parts so if I have to I can put her back to stock for the the inspection. Since it is a new vehicle I suppose smog won't be due for at least 4 years.... I just figure that for 4 years I will be having fun driving a truly performance vehicle!!!!

With money to burn it just won't bother me to pay $500 to put the exhaust back to spec!!!!! Ha!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[QUOTE="Scotty" Scott]Will the headers pass California smog?
"Scotty"
BLURSSR[/QUOTE]
\
Scotty:

There are currently no exhaust headers on the market that are California Air Resources Board approved....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts