Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Perfectionist
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG! I am a big clumbsy guy. Too big to lay backwards under the dash, big hands, bad legs, bad knees, ect.... I am taking my dash apart. Bot those nuts on the airbag studs are a bitch. I spent hours and hours fighting them. Got the inboard one first, but the outboard one! I fought and fought. I had short ratchets, long ratchets, universals,7 different extensions, you name it! After a couple calls to Mike in Az, and one to SWTRD I finally got fed up!!!! I took a hacksaw blade and from up underneath I cut the outboard air cond duct about 5-6 inches back from dash. Pulled the piece down and out. Took me literally 5 minutes to get that nut off the airbag!. So then I simply took gorilla tape and taped the duct back together. Done deal. DAMN!

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,367 Posts
That will work. I have learned to remove the right outer dash vent and duct and go in through the vent hole with the right combination of ratchet, two different length extensions, and a universal between the extensions. Once I have maneuvered the socket onto the nut, it comes off pretty easy. When I get the air bag out, I replace the duct and vent as I have no intentions of putting that outboard nut back on. :thumbs

Blast :purple:

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,273 Posts
Definitely no need to cut duct. I been moving the ducts out of the way and used mini ratchets to remove the nuts.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
OMG! I am a big clumbsy guy. Too big to lay backwards under the dash, big hands, bad legs, bad knees, ect.... I am taking my dash apart. Bot those nuts on the airbag studs are a bitch. I spent hours and hours fighting them. Got the inboard one first, but the outboard one! I fought and fought. I had short ratchets, long ratchets, universals,7 different extensions, you name it! After a couple calls to Mike in Az, and one to SWTRD I finally got fed up!!!! I took a hacksaw blade and from up underneath I cut the outboard air cond duct about 5-6 inches back from dash. Pulled the piece down and out. Took me literally 5 minutes to get that nut off the airbag!. So then I simply took gorilla tape and taped the duct back together. Done deal. DAMN!
:surprise:WHAT!!!! You took a HACKSAW !!!! to your SSR :crying: Where is that horsewhip when I need it ??
Shame on you. That is not even Red-neck wrenching that's just WRONG.

·
Perfectionist
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely no need to cut duct. I been moving the ducts out of the way and used mini ratchets to remove the nuts.
Moved duct outboard as far as it would go, have many mini ratchets, hands are huge!

Air Bag Removal is on my SSR How to Library, including removing the nuts.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

I think you are making it to hard.

Dicktaor
Read over that, and almost did it that way!! had my dremel out and cutting wheel installed!

:surprise:WHAT!!!! You took a HACKSAW !!!! to your SSR :crying: Where is that horsewhip when I need it ??
Shame on you. That is not even Red-neck wrenching that's just WRONG.
How is cutting with a hacksaw blade and different than cutting with a dremel like Dicktator did? cutting is cutting.

Anyway, just wanted to share, just another way to cut something out of the way to save time! thx,D

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Moved duct outboard as far as it would go, have many mini ratchets, hands are huge!

Read over that, and almost did it that way!! had my dremel out and cutting wheel installed!

How is cutting with a hacksaw blade and different than cutting with a dremel like Dicktator did? cutting is cutting.

Anyway, just wanted to share, just another way to cut something out of the way to save time! thx,D
Sorry sometimes people don't understand my humor. I was just poking at you with a stick >:) it probably would have been better if we actually knew each other. But bottom line its your SSR and I guess you could use a chainsaw if you wanted ...oops there I go again LOL just have fun and don't hurt yourself.:wink2:

·
LKMURKY
448 Posts
I threw mine out into the corn field!!! D
I took mine out when I was wiring for Muth Mirrors. It was a colossal pain in the ass, went through half my toolbox trying to figure out which wrench and extension combination would work, even with the dash out. Took that opportunity to reseal all the plastic ducts, the original foam seals weren't sealing too well anymore, lots of air leaking under the dash.
I would think a wingnut would be just as much trouble to get to.
There is no earthly reason to replace that nut.
Since I don't have a cornfield like OFG, tossed mine in the LAKE!:wink2:
Cary
Missing a nut

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts