Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will edit/update this post as needed.

I have received and installed the new Air Dam from Mike Moro (Mike in AZ) and what a fine piece of work I must say. Not only does mine fit like a glove with no modification, its appearance is better than the OEM dam not to mention the apparent functionality. Mike has outdone himself.

Keeping in mind that the temperatures are not hot right now, I hover in the 190-200 temp range climbing to 210-230 at idle with an outside ambient temperature of 60 degrees farenheit or less.

The main benefit I have noticed thusfar with the new air dam is how the temperature falls to the 190-200 range much quicker than with the OEM dam upon cruising speed of 30 mph or more, which stands to reason that more air is now moving upward based on sheer design alone.

I believe once I install Mike's pusher fan, then the summer temps will have little, if any, effect on coolant temps especially at cruising speeds. I can't wait.

Great Job Mike!:thumbs

His links of the dam are below

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7095&highlight=air+dam

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9478&d=1139192007

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I got mine yesterday and will putting it on tomorrow!!!! I have not had the OEM Air Dam for over a year. Had fan replaced last July but the temp still hovers at 210.

I did take the new Air Dam out of the box and admire it!!! Looks really nice Mike! :thumbs

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I received my air dam earlier this week and am waiting for hood struts from Eric at MPD so everything can be installed at once. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
wildcat66 said:
I got mine yesterday and will putting it on tomorrow!!!! I have not had the OEM Air Dam for over a year. Had fan replaced last July but the temp still hovers at 210.

I did take the new Air Dam out of the box and admire it!!! Looks really nice Mike! :thumbs
How come you got your stuff before me.. oh wait you are slightly closer to AZ then I am, by about 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
wildcat66 said:
My mailman likes me better :glol:glol;)

Well to be fair we did just get a new mail man last week, cuz the other one retired. :cry

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I got mine today, I haven't installed it yet but it looks first class. thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Looks

Focks said:
How come you got your stuff before me.. oh wait you are slightly closer to AZ then I am, by about 5 minutes.
Sorry Focks ,MACHELL has more appeal than a mule :glol :glol :glol

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,113 Posts
Freshened up

mikes mid-life said:
Hey Guys -pls Educate Me -is This Air Dam A Modified Intake? Mikes Mid-life
No Mike, it's just a replacement for the $72.34 piece of flat plastic at the bottom of your radiator. The design, thanks to Rebel's encouragement, tries to follow the contours of the front fascia and act a little more like a scoop for shoving air into the radiator.

I feel like I have been successful in the contour part, as it no longer is too obvious that something is under there when you look at the front of the truck. The OEM part looked too much like an afterthought. What you will notice in the photo I am attaching is the comparative difference between my PB (top down) and Broomer's when we were together in Laughlin. The new air dam really blends into the shadows.

As for the improvement in cooling, I'm not making any claims. To measure how much difference it actually makes will be difficult without sensitive instrumentation. When I get time to put the data system in my truck and measure it, I will. But that is months away. I will stand firm on the position that, even without data, it is obvious that this design will capture more air and force it into the radiator. That can't be at all bad.

I've ordered another 50 pieces from the plastics shop and expect delivery the last week in February. He is writing the code to cut them with CNC. This will yeild a more consistent product that requires less hand finishing on my part.

If you want one, just send me a PM with shipping information, a phone number (for fedex) and a regular email that I can use to communicate with you directly.

Best Regards,

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
I got my air dam yesterday and installed it today. It was a snap. Before mike's came, I went down to the garage to check my air dam and found I had none. I guess they forgot to install it at the factory when I bought the 05 last December. The engine still did not get to hot. Now, with Mike's air dam installed the temp stays about 190. Good product and price Mike.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
wildcat66 said:
:lol even michiagan got theirs before you Focks!!!
mine came FedEx!!! BTW
Damn, I think I am going to have to have a heart felt discussion with Mike, up close and personal. :willy:

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
I haven't even ordered mine yet, and I'll bet I get it before FOCKS does. Think he's been OUT-FOCKS'd by everyone.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Well this was my Saturday to work :mad so I put the air dam on, it took me only 5 min to install it (it helps when you have a hoist). The air dam looks good. you did a fine job Mike. thanks again.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Air dam vs Snow

wingrider said:
Well this was my Saturday to work :mad so I put the air dam on, it took me only 5 min to install it (it helps when you have a hoist). The air dam looks good. you did a fine job Mike. thanks again.

Are Ya gonna be able to push snow with it????????:lol :seeya

1 - 20 of 41 Posts