Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the brand and numbers for a 2004 air filter or do you have to go to the Chevy dealer ??

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Read up on this brand, AFE. It is dry. They make a drop in replacement. AFE Power 31-10031: MagFlow OE PDS Chevrolet Corvette 97-04 | JEGS

I do not like oiled gauze filters. Just my opinion.
If you get a manufacturers cheaper (economy brand) such as NAPA ProSelect 26144 SFI, the paper media is not as dense, thus allowing slightly more air flow. These are inexpensive, and should be changed more frequently (need to look at filter to determine if it needs to be changed.
The air intake on the SSR is very straight and short, and I personally feel an intake ''Performance SYSTEM '' is not worth $300 or more. Many will not agree.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
If all you want to do is filter air you are right but if you are after ultimate performance then the K&N cold air package along with a few other parts and pieces, exhaust system, and a dyno tune are an absolute must. Horsepower is not cheap to come by and well worth the dollars if you are seeking performance. My two cents and we all know what that is worth.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Spectre

There is a filter like k&n but it’s a dry filter no oil
Spectre make a drop in filter that is like a K&N , it is an oiled filter. The cost is about one quarter of a K&N filter and reportedly performs as well or better. I have used a Spectre filter for two years now in my supercharged 04 with no problems. I don’t know if they make a dry filter.

·
Registered
2006 Ricochet Silver SSR
80 Posts
Do not believe Fram still manufactures the Air Hog filters. Yes, they were an oiled filter like K&N. From what I have found a Air Hog PPA3914 fits a SSR and CORVETTE. The Fram non-Oiled filter is part number CA3914, which shows fitting the SSR.

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
I don't believe the K&N system or others of that ilk can pass more cool air than the stock straight shot design, with the right filter. They do however, look cool as hell and dress the under-hood up a lot. I'd put them in the same category as the floor gage pod, looks great but not very beneficial. It's a personal choice, if it blows your skirt up go for it.

·
Ralph and Ruth
2004 SSR
888 Posts
I don't believe the K&N system or others of that ilk can pass more cool air than the stock straight shot design, with the right filter. They do however, look cool as hell and dress the under-hood up a lot. I'd put them in the same category as the floor gage pod, looks great but not very beneficial. It's a personal choice, if it blows your skirt up go for it.
You are spot on, Bruce. I installed mine knowing that it would not improve performance any more than my caliper covers would improve braking. It just gives me that "hot damn" feeling whenever I lift the hood, and after all, that's all I ask of it.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
This is what I did and well worth the money.

The guy tuning our SSR called and said it was ready. On the Dyno it read 362 horsepower and 369 torque at the rear wheels after the work he and I did. He used some kind of fancy formula and figured 452.5 horsepower and 461.25 torque at the crank. Pretty good increase from stock plus very smooth and more responsive. Reset cooling fans, shift points and firmness and overall adjusted everything. This was all done after the K&N Cold air package, the 90MM throttle body port and polish done by Faster Proms in Florida, the Taylor Helix throttle body spacer, the Jet high performance mass air sensor, and the Magnaflow true duals exhaust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts