Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. Could someone point me to technical information on LS1 flowcharts. I did a quick look around and found some high flow heads that while the intake flows 310 cfm the exhaust only lets out 240. I'm not an engineer but I would guess some of the fuel is burned and there for not as much there to exit.
BUTTTTTTTTTT... 310 CFM in x 2 Cyl Heads = 620 total CFM. What do you suppose the factory exhaust system will flow??? I'm sure there is some sort of force calculation that would have to be applied, but My guess is it flows more than that. 310 cfm is a rather high performance head also. What do the stock ones flow. What will the stock Throttle body flow???

Just need some reading when I get home from surgery Sat or Sun.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Head Flow Numbers

This sounds like a Jim G. question - be ready...

I'll start though. The flow numbers need to be done under similar conditions to give you meaningful comparison data. As far as the advertised number, was that with the valve and if so, at what lift. What you'll find is that the flow is a curve that is controlled by valve lift.

The intakes will normally flow more than the exhaust because whan the piston moves down on the intake stroke it creates a vacuum (low pressure area) and then atmosperic pressure pushes the air into the cylinder. A tuned intake will take advantage of this flow to help push air into the cylinder but that is another topic.. The exhaust has the piston pushing it out of the cylinder so the flow numbers do not need to be as big to get the air out of the cylinder.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts