Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are pictures before and after the modifications I made to the air intake. The air now has a direct feed from the opening above the grill bar and below the hood. All I did was remove the large plastic cover from the air box. This is an 05 so the foam does seal against the hood and keep the hot underhood air away from the air intake.

Before modifications:

After modifications:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Could get ugly....

Hey I can see where that would give you more cooler air, BUT leaves a direct access to a really bad rain storm, thus clogging the paper intake filter.

But then there are very few SSR out in the rain anyway...

Looks good and a Great Idea and priced just right too..... Thanks for sharing!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the AirHog cotton filter, and yes it never goes out in the rain. It took all of 30 minutes to complete and completely free. If you look at your intake it is completely open under the shield/deflector anyway, so no different then stock.

K

·
0 Posts
If you are worried about rain hitting a paper filter. Get one like a K&N washable filter that isn't paper and doesnt sustain any damage from water.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
The bigger question is water ingestion from rain or worse yet runing over a large puddle . I have counted at least three LS2 engines on the Corvette Forum that were toasted due to mass water ingestion and NO warranty in these cases!

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a look at your stock air filter, look right under the shield and you will see it is a straight shot at the filter stock. All I did was to remove the shield which should allow a straight shot of air into the filter.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
K&N filter for SSR

Stopped by Auto Zone tonight, looking for a K&N filter for the SSR. There is no listing for the SSR directly, but found that the 33-2111 is an exact fit. It is a 2004 5.7L Corvette application.

I'm sure you found yours the same way...

The orange makes a nice bold statement under the hood. Goes with your S/C well.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I did the same thing, I found a Corvette filter that was the same and used it. What a difference in the underhood appeal with the filter right out in the open.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine will be going back up to Magnuson Products in the next few weeks. I dont think it will make much of a difference at all. The air intake is pretty good as it is stock on the SSR.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You said you removed the shield,

did you have to cut it away, or did you just partially disassemble it? It really looks good. :thumbs

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Concerns

Looks real nice but I have a few thoughts that some may want to consider.
In light on the dump truck dropping rocks out the tailgate thread I just read - here goes.
My luck would be that rock would miss the windshield and go through the gap below the hood/above the grille, punch straight through the filter and into the intake/engine. That would no doubt result in a really bad day and a bunch of wrecked parts like blower impellers, valves, pistons, cylinder liners, and cylinder heads.
Also, thanks to physics, the faster you go, the smaller the rock bumble bee or whatever needs to be to go through the filter. Something along the lines of twice the speed means 1/4 the mass for the same energy.

Just food for thought..

·
Registered
579 Posts
When Velosity Doubled and Kinetic Energy Constant the Mass is Reduced by Half

hdflstf said:
.........Something along the lines of twice the speed means 1/4 the mass for the same energy...

Almost. In reality mass (m) is reduced by one half!
:thumbs

In other words, solving for m:

KE = (1/2)*m*V*V

Solving for m

m = (2*KE)/(V*V)

Now when Kinetic Energy is kept constand and Velosity is doubled then solving for m:

KE = (1/2)*m*2*V*V

Solving for m

m = KE/ (V*V)

or mass is reduced by half.

Note: * means multiplied by

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

P.S. A very Special Thanks to R. Nave for his Kinetic Energy Data and Graphic

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ECurtis - This is great, I am actually learning something.

hdflstf - The aftermarket cotton filters have 2 metal screens and the material that it would have to penetrate before entering the intake track. It would then need to pass through the MAF - throttle body - ROCK CRUSHER (Supercharger) before entering the engine. I am not worried. You could always install a mesh screen over the filter for added protection.

Yaller Dog - I had to use a dremel tool with a cutting bit and a sanding wheels to remove and clean the area.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Intake of air

Fixed mine this way .....with K&N filter........but carry the cover with me ...so if needed I just pop it on....with new snap fasteners :)

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I believe that the reason that GM puts that cover on is to prevent rain water from directly impinging onto the filter at highway speed.

The stock setup ensures that air-driven water can only get in through an opening that is BELOW the level of the filter. Then, when the air / water mix gets into that low opening, the air is sucked upward, but the water separates out because it is heavier - it can't "make the upward turn" fast enough.

The only way to get water into the filter with the stock setup is to submerge the front end or drive through enough water to drive a solid WAVE up into the opening. Nothing will stop the wave effectively.

Those LS2s that someone noticed on the net COULD be from cars that were victims of Hurricane Katrina. If someone attempts to start a car that was flooded without first checking to ensure no hydraulic lock, that's what happens.

Jim G

1 - 20 of 32 Posts