Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed this, and how do you like it? Which kit did you use, approx how much was the entire set-up? How far did you lower your SSR? (My husband had a list of specific questions for me to ask, but I forgot them on the way to work! :lol ).

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
vettegirl,

Coming from the street rod scene, I can tell you that air ride sure looks cool, but it doesn't ride as good as a spring setup. The other thing for a car that is driven a lot, unless you set the ride height at EXACTLY the correct spot, your front end is always out of alignment.

Cool factor - GREAT!

Practical factor - Not so GREAT!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had two vehicles with air suspension since 2000 (96 S-10, and a 94 S-10 Blazer). In my opinion they ride better than stock. My tires did wear a bit quicker than they should, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of having it installed. Between the two trucks I have driven about 30,000 miles on air suspension with only two failures. My truck was one of the very first bagged trucks in MI, so we didn't have a steal leader line off of the compressor, and the line melted. I also had a line melt after I had a new exhaust installed and they layed one of the lines on the new exhaust. I am so confident in the air suspension that I am driving it to Marion, IL (500 miles one way) this weekend.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My GM partner SEMA project SSR has a kit from AirRide Technologies ,
perfect fit, computer controlled fill system, remote control, rides great
with improved handling. I have a 2002 Chevy dually with their stuff on it and it has
50,000 miles with out failure, another truck project with over 60,000 miles.
Most over the road tractor-trailers have air suspension. A good combo
would be an AirRide Technologies kit (www.ridetech.com) and DJM control arms and
lower shock mount for front, any kit that fits a Trailblazer will fit an SSR.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now, if you change the suspension it doesn't void any warranty other than suspnsion-related items, right??

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,210 Posts
suspension

You would be correct in that assumption.

I have lifted every truck I owned with a 6" or taller lift kit, and the only thing that the dealer won't cover is the supension components. The rest of the drive train, electronic, and body components are still covered under warranty..

The SSR of course will not get lifted, but instead will get a lowering kit from air ride technologies. They have a good product that has had a lot of thought in its construction.

Good luck with your transformation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts